North Dakota... Beuller? Bueller? Bueller?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Milo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Driving from Twin Cites to Grand Forks to take the boy back to college. Can charge in St. Cloud, then nothing at all. Can L2 charge at a hotel in Grand Forks, but... damn...

Any news on Nodak at all?

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
What's weird to me is that Supercharger work seems to have come to a virtual standstill recently. Only 3 updates since 6 july. None at all since Saturday.

SolarPro

Country
Country
Driving from Twin Cites to Grand Forks to take the boy back to college. Can charge in St. Cloud, then nothing at all. Can L2 charge at a hotel in Grand Forks, but... damn...

Any news on Nodak at all?
Just read on reddit that they are waiting to do all of I94 at the same time. Apparently Dickinson is permitted, Bismarck probably is as well, but not ready to go yet.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just read on reddit that they are waiting to do all of I94 at the same time. Apparently Dickinson is permitted, Bismarck probably is as well, but not ready to go yet.
Which becomes an issue, because Alexandria is currently delayed, very likely until next year, at least.

Carpet Man

Country
Country
All of North Dakota is put on the back burner until next Spring. Caused by the delay in Alexandria.
Frustrating for us ND owners who were originally promised super chargers were coming back in 2014.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I don't think that's it at all. Tesla was actually making progress on the North Dakota and Canada routes earlier this year, with a wave of new permit applications. All supercharger deployments globally, however, have slowed down greatly this quarter. This is undoubtedly due to either A) the rush to become profitable this quarter, or B) not wanting to deploy too many more V2 superchargers when V3 is coming out later this year.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
All of North Dakota is put on the back burner until next Spring. Caused by the delay in Alexandria.
Frustrating for us ND owners who were originally promised super chargers were coming back in 2014.
Living in Sioux Falls, I will be very limited how far North I can go until Fargo is completed. They could really use one in Watertown also to fill in I-90 gap.

BellevueEd

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Which becomes an issue, because Alexandria is currently delayed, very likely until next year, at least.
TheTony, I'm going to be spending a few days in Minneapolis in October visiting my sister in a retirement facility, arriving in my M3 from the Seattle area. I doubt the facility has any available charging capabilities. So, it appears I can run over to the Superchargers in Oakdale if I need to, or plan exceedingly well, and escape home via Albert Lea. Thoughts? I would like to have gone through my home country of North Dakota, alas, ....

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
TheTony, I'm going to be spending a few days in Minneapolis in October visiting my sister in a retirement facility, arriving in my M3 from the Seattle area. I doubt the facility has any available charging capabilities. So, it appears I can run over to the Superchargers in Oakdale if I need to, or plan exceedingly well, and escape home via Albert Lea. Thoughts? I would like to have gone through my home country of North Dakota, alas, ....
That sounds like the best plan. Oakdale isn't terribly convenient if you're closer to Minneapolis proper, but it's also not that far either - unless you're staying in the far western or southern suburbs, that is.

It may be worth checking out Plugshare to see if there's any chargers near where you're staying. They do have a fair amount of level 2 chargers listed for the MSP metro area. Perhaps you'll luck out and find a close one. If my wall connector install is complete by then and I knew you were staying nearby, I'd be willing to offer you some electrons :)

Albert Lea is along the I90 corridor, which has about half of the SC coverage in the state so far. I assume that's the route you'll be taking into town?

Last edited:

BellevueEd

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
That sounds like the best plan. Oakdale isn't terribly convenient if you're closer to Minneapolis proper, but it's also not that far either - unless you're staying in the far western or southern suburbs, that is.

It may be worth checking out Plugshare to see if there's any chargers near where you're staying. They do have a fair amount of level 2 chargers listed for the MSP metro area. Perhaps you'll luck out and find a close one. If my wall connector install is complete by then and I knew you were staying nearby, I'd be willing to offer you some electrons :)

Albert Lea is along the I90 corridor, which has about half of the SC coverage in the state so far. I assume that's the route you'll be taking into town?
Tesla routing takes me into Minneapolis via Worthington, which is a lot further from my ultimate destination than from Albert Lea. I can see managing my mileage to make Albert Lea work without a need for recharging if I go into/out of Minneapolis that way. I did sign up for a Plugshare account early on, but haven't really looked into it. I will do so, and set up sharing for my NEMA 14-50 at the same time. We'll be staying a bit east of Lake Calhoun. Appreciate the offer. This will be our first trip of any length, so will be a learning experience.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla routing takes me into Minneapolis via Worthington, which is a lot further from my ultimate destination than from Albert Lea. I can see managing my mileage to make Albert Lea work without a need for recharging if I go into/out of Minneapolis that way. I did sign up for a Plugshare account early on, but haven't really looked into it. I will do so, and set up sharing for my NEMA 14-50 at the same time. We'll be staying a bit east of Lake Calhoun. Appreciate the offer. This will be our first trip of any length, so will be a learning experience.
I think there are also a couple free Chargepoint and municipal chargers in that area (though they may be on the north and west side of Calhoun/Bde Maka Ska). May be worth checking out. I also think some of the BP stations in Uptown also have L2 chargers, though I've not seen one myself, as I don't frequent that area.

I'm about twenty minutes north of that area (just north of 694). You might also try posting in the Minnesota thread to solicit some suggestions there as well. I know we have at least a few owners there who live in Minneapolis proper and might have more insights into local charging in that area.

BellevueEd

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I think there are also a couple free Chargepoint and municipal chargers in that area (though they may be on the north and west side of Calhoun/Bde Maka Ska). May be worth checking out. I also think some of the BP stations in Uptown also have L2 chargers, though I've not seen one myself, as I don't frequent that area.

I'm about twenty minutes north of that area (just north of 694). You might also try posting in the Minnesota thread to solicit some suggestions there as well. I know we have at least a few owners there who live in Minneapolis proper and might have more insights into local charging in that area.
I brought up Plugshare for the area, and yes, there's BP very near, and the City of St. Louis Park has a couple stations, plus a Goodwill a bit south of my Sister's place. Thanks for pointing me toward Plugshare. For some reason, I thought it was only a site for people willing to share their home chargers. I'll check the Minnesota thread for more pointers. Thanks much for the help. I've used Chargepoint just for the experience, and it worked easily. I have their card in my glove box.