North Carolina Model 3s

rjhoskins

Country
Country
Got my wall charger installed today....now just waiting on August 25th to get the car in Raleigh. However, the tint shop I was going to use in Greensboro has just informed me they do not have the 60" rolls of film to do the entire back glass. Anybody have any recommendations for paint protection film AND tint install in the High Point/Winston/Greensboro area that can do the entire back glass?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks. Wondering if there is first-hand experience that it actually does work. The NC Quick Pass site doesn't even list Tesla Model 3 as a model (or the X for that matter), so wondering if there is something about Tesla windshields in general that may be incompatible with our system here.

Well I guess I will find out anyway. I went ahead and ordered the sticker.
let us know if it works !

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
let us know if it works !
Oh yeah...I forgot it's sitting in my glove box. I'll have to stick it on this weekend. I don't travel NC-540 that much, but I may have to give it a shot. I may wait until my official registration paperwork comes in the mail.

2pix

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have my first service appt setup to fix the condensation in tailight and see about the on and off noise from the brakes. This is interesting well new to me, the Tesla mobile team is going to make the repairs when my car is parked at work. This is nice I don’t have to inconvience myself taking off from work and drive an hour to Raleigh. This was all arranged over email I actually couldn’t get them on the phone.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Took delivery on 7/13!

I am wondering if any Model 3 owners signed up for NC Quick Pass, and if so, does the windshield mounted transponder work?

The NC Quick Pass site lists the Model S as needed an external transponder. I am wondering if the Model 3 does as well (and is just too new to make it onto their web site), or if an internal transponder is okay.
I was able to test my NC QuickPass this weekend. I was using it through the WV EZPass booths and had no trouble with it being read.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was able to test my NC QuickPass this weekend. I was using it through the WV EZPass booths and had no trouble with it being read.
I'm guessing you're referring to the actual large transponder unit, and not the sticker?

I'm referring to the sticker in my query, specifically because it says it's not supported in the Model S for some reason.

Anyway, I have the sticker...just haven't had an opportunity to drive that section of 540 yet.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Yes, I use the transponder and not the sticker. I need it more for other states and rarely travel on any of the current NC toll roads.
I have not tested the transponder in our 2017 MS. I know the early MS windshield blocked the transponders, but Tesla changed the coating for AP 2.x and the M3. Both manuals state that the area to the right of the rear view mirror support readers.

Worst case you would get a notice if they can't read your sticker and would have your answer

jmmdownhil

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Raleigh delivery process is F’d up.
-Original delivery date was Aug. 4;
-Got a call Aug. 3, saying car was in Charlotte due to “logistic” issues;
-Finally got new delivery date of Aug. 21, and was assured that transportation to Raleigh was “in process”;
-Got a call a few minutes ago saying car is still in Charlotte, and would not make the Aug. 21, Raleigh delivery date!

Storage problems in Raleigh meant that some cars were moved to Charlotte and others in route were diverted to Charlotte. Can’t understand why they couldn’t get the car to Raleigh from Charlotte in two weeks! I could have picked the car up in Charlotte! I floated that idea to IDA two weeks ago but he was afraid to mess up the “in process” transportation.

End of rant. I feel (a little ) better now.

rjhoskins

Country
Country
-Finally got new delivery date of Aug. 21, and was assured that transportation to Raleigh was “in process”;
-Got a call a few minutes ago saying car is still in Charlotte, and would not make the Aug. 21, Raleigh delivery date!

Storage problems in Raleigh meant that some cars were moved to Charlotte and others in route were diverted to Charlotte. Can’t understand why they couldn’t get the car to Raleigh from Charlotte in two weeks! I could have picked the car up in Charlotte! I floated that idea to IDA two weeks ago but he was afraid to mess up the “in process” transportation.

This has me concerned. My Raleigh delivery date of August 25th has been scheduled since July 26th. I have an appointment the following week for PPF and tint, so hopefully it will be on schedule. Let us know the outcome of your situation.

jmmdownhil

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This has me concerned. My Raleigh delivery date of August 25th has been scheduled since July 26th. I have an appointment the following week for PPF and tint, so hopefully it will be on schedule. Let us know the outcome of your situation.
I had to reschedule PPF and tint also. The delay also caused my Tesla finance rate to expire and get bumped a notch. At this rate you will probably have your car before me.

jmmdownhil

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Update on my situation:
Just got a call from the new (as of last week) delivery mgr. in Raleigh. He "assured" me that he put my VIN on the list to move this week, so delivery is still possible by the end of the week(end). He seemed intent on resolving the storage/delivery mess in Raleigh.
In addition to the storage lot that was lost as reported in other posts, he told me that Raleigh was storing cars on the street and the police finally told them to get them moved ASAP. That added to the moves to Charlotte. Still no excuse - looks like extremely poor planning on the part of Raleigh/Tesla mgmt. If you have seen the Raleigh "showroom", there is no way that it is sufficient for the long term, to say nothing of the present situation.

rjhoskins

Country
Country
Update on my situation:
Just got a call from the new (as of last week) delivery mgr. in Raleigh. He "assured" me that he put my VIN on the list to move this week, so delivery is still possible by the end of the week(end). He seemed intent on resolving the storage/delivery mess in Raleigh.
In addition to the storage lot that was lost as reported in other posts, he told me that Raleigh was storing cars on the street and the police finally told them to get them moved ASAP. That added to the moves to Charlotte. Still no excuse - looks like extremely poor planning on the part of Raleigh/Tesla mgmt. If you have seen the Raleigh "showroom", there is no way that it is sufficient for the long term, to say nothing of the present situation.
Maybe I'll see you Saturday if that's the day you go...and assuming my car is actually there lol. My appt is 10am.
But I agree with you in regards to the Raleigh 'showroom'. They really need to build one like Charlotte.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is very f'ed up.

It's almost impossible for me to believe that they could not locate a storage lot in the vicinity of the store they could lease out for 2-3 months. The old mall off Airport Blvd for example. And if they expect this to be an ongoing thing (I think it will settle out a bit once they open up deliveries internationally), then they seriously need to acquire a bigger facility (for both sales and service).

jmmdownhil

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update on my situation:
Car arrived in Raleigh on Tuesday. I went by the sales office today and saw the car. It has been inspected - no issues. I also did a quick walk around and saw nothing amiss. Just needs some paint buff out and clean up which will be done tomorrow a.m. and I can pick it up immediately thereafter! Finally!

Last edited:

rjhoskins

Country
Country
Car arrived in Raleigh on Tuesday. I went by the sales office today and saw the car. It has been inspected - no issues. I also did a quick walk around and saw nothing amiss. Just needs some paint buff out and clean up which will be done tomorrow a.m. and I can pick it up immediately thereafter! Finally!
That is awesome news, I know you are excited! Since I have not received anything from Tesla Raleigh or my ISA stating my delivery has been postponed, I'm leaving early in the am to drive to Raleigh for my 10am appointment. If you guys see a pic of my car tomorrow evening, everything went well. If you see my mugshot, it wasn't a good day. ;)

rjhoskins

Country
Country
IMG_7026.JPEG IMG_7026.JPEG IMG_7026.JPEG IMG_7027.JPEG IMG_7025.JPEG Well, today happened, but not without a couple of problems. Driving to Raleigh for 10am delivery appointment, we hit something on I-85 that blows out a tire on my wife's Lexus RX450h. If you've never changed a flat on the shoulder of I-85, I will tell you, it will get your pulse going. Luckily, we were well off the road and my wife helped--so in a flash we were back on the road to Tesla Raleigh.

Got to the service center (address given to me by ISA and in 'My Tesla Page')--but wait, deliveries are down the road at the sales center. So, after all of that, I still only arrived 10 minutes after my appointment time.

I apologized to the staff, who promptly directed me to wash the tire change grime off my hands before getting in my white interior, and then off we went to the car. Approximately 15 minutes later, I'm heading off in my Model 3 Performance! Made a pit stop to visit my oldest child who's a Junior at Chapel Hill (and give her a ride), and of course, we had to stop on the way home in Burlington, NC for our first supercharger visit even though we didn't need to due to range.

An absolutely surreal experience owning a Tesla and I can't wait to completely immerse myself in the online manual tomorrow. A few pics from the day:

Attachments

jmmdownhil

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
20180825_135646.jpg 20180825_135459.jpg 20180825_135646.jpg 20180825_135459.jpg @rjhoskins, congrats on getting the car! We were there also a little later at 11:30 to get ours. A smooth experience with great help from Mike (del. mgr.) and Drew. A pleasant change from the prior cancellations that I explained in prior posts. I was so absorbed with the car that I didn’t get any pics until I got home.

The Raleigh storage problem is far from over. They only have parking for ~12 new cars, and they are lucky if they can get two truckloads (18 cars)/ week moved from Charlotte. Police are constantly checking to ensure no cars are on the street, plus they are surrounded by other businesses that have their own parking requirements. So zero flexibility at the moment. A new storage lot is apparently in the works plus a new sales/service facility for the long term. They are getting obstruction from a least one major multi location/brand dealer that has a major presence in the RDU and Charlotte areas. Unfortunately, there will probably be many more delivery cancellations before the situation improves.

Last edited:

rjhoskins

Country
Country
@jmmdownhil Your car is awesome! In fact, they had to move yours back a couple of feet so I could pull mine out, so I got an up close and personal look at it. Congrats on the car, she's a beaut!
But you are correct, Raleigh has got some serious issues to work out--but luckily for me today, everything went smooth.

Ryan

jmmdownhil

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@jmmdownhil Your car is awesome! In fact, they had to move yours back a couple of feet so I could pull mine out, so I got an up close and personal look at it. Congrats on the car, she's a beaut!
But you are correct, Raleigh has got some serious issues to work out--but luckily for me today, everything went smooth.

Ryan
Now we need some serious seat time!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had to reschedule PPF and tint also. The delay also caused my Tesla finance rate to expire and get bumped a notch. At this rate you will probably have your car before me.
I'm in the same boat. Delivery was supposed to be this week (last week of august) at the Raleigh Store. Told that the car is in Charlotte, they can only fit 9 cars on a truck, and that they can only do ONE truck run per WEEK. The fact that such a simple logistical error can't be corrected (or happened in the first place) is concerning.