North Carolina Model 3s

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Starting a thread to discuss North Carolina Model 3 reservations, invitations, sightings, deliveries and state and local issues affecting Teslas and EVs in general.

There are a few other resources available such as Facebook groups and Google groups/clubs, but those aren't specifically targeted towards Model 3.

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Starting a thread to discuss North Carolina Model 3 reservations, invitations, sightings, deliveries and state and local issues affecting Teslas and EVs in general.

There are a few other resources available such as Facebook groups and Google groups/clubs, but those aren't specifically targeted towards Model 3.
Great idea. Hendersonville, NC (3/31/16 on-line pre-reveal)

Last edited:

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My own reservation was 3/31/16 at the Raleigh store. I was probably 150 people back in line...about 60-90 minutes after the doors opened. Non-current owner. Currently showing Dec-Feb delivery, but I take that to mean March, or more likely early April.

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My own reservation was 3/31/16 at the Raleigh store. I was probably 150 people back in line...about 60-90 minutes after the doors opened. Non-current owner. Currently showing Dec-Feb delivery, but I take that to mean March, or more likely early April.
I will wait for AWD, October - December, 2018. My RWD dates are the same as yours.

rjhoskins

Country
Country
My estimate is March-May '18, but if the tax credit is eliminated, I'm going to wait for the AWD P version. Really hope the Raleigh store gets a 3 in so we can see it in person soon!

Dangermouse

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2nd in line at Raleigh. 3rd in line was an S owner...surprised he camped out, already having one.
December-February estimate last I checked, so February. Waiting for white seats, if it's still a thing to wait for by then, hoping not.

If the Raleigh store doesn't have a 3 by the time I get mine, I plan on hanging out at the store occasionally on weekends to give folks a look. Five minutes away! Lucky that way at least.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So there are a few interesting plugshare photos that have been posted. Whoever this is is very sneaky because they aren't actually checkins and plugshare does not actually list who posted the photo (some kind of insider maybe?)

https://www.plugshare.com/location/117072
https://www.plugshare.com/location/19708

Direct link to picture for the Burlington SC entry: https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugshare.production.photos/photos/249765.jpg

Would be nice to know who this mystery person is. All we know for sure is that they like Brixx pizza!

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
2nd in line at Raleigh.
1st in line. Enjoyed our electric car chat that night. The Model S owner's mention of his battery capacity loss holding to less than 10% after 90k is the main thing keeping me from bailing on Tesla. My 2013 Leaf battery was just replaced under warranty because of 30%+ loss after just 46k, so there's no way I'd buy a new Leaf. (But at least with the new battery, the wait on the 3 is bearable!)

If the tax credit doesn't get cancelled before, I'll most likely roll the dice on that and go with first production - estimated Dec-Feb. Otherwise, I plan to wait for white interior in RWD.

Rocco Speranza

Country
Country
My 2013 Leaf battery was just replaced under warranty because of 30%+ loss after just 46k, so there's no way I'd buy a new Leaf. (But at least with the new battery, the wait on the 3 is bearable!)
I think Nissan is making a huge mistake by not including battery thermal management. I'm sure the same thing will happen with the new leaf as the old one. That almost seems outright illegal to say your car gets 160 miles of range, but a short few years later will get 100.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think Nissan is making a huge mistake by not including battery thermal management. I'm sure the same thing will happen with the new leaf as the old one. That almost seems outright illegal to say your car gets 160 miles of range, but a short few years later will get 100.
A bit OT, but I honestly don't think it has much to do with the lack of active thermal management, but rather just a real lousy battery chemistry choice. I very closely monitored my LEAF's battery loss as I was approaching the warranty cutoff (I missed it by 1490 miles!) and found that the largest contributor to battery loss was simply when it was parked outside on a hot day. And when it's just sitting there parked, it doesn't really matter if there's active cooling or not.
Not to say active cooling would not be a good thing for the LEAF. I now have a new LEAF capable of making it to Charlotte. Because of the spacing of CHAdeMO chargers, it requires two stops (Burlington and Salisbury). Even on just a mildly warm day, the second charge puts the battery temp into the red zone and I lost an acceleration bubble until I got back on the road and the airflow got it back down. In a car capable of truly long distance travel, this would really be a flaw.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Saw a black Model 3 today behind the Raleigh Service Center. Was able to walk around and look in the windows. Rather unassuming (at least in black), but maybe that's as compared to the dramatic T on the front of the S and X or as compared to all the vents and (fake) grills on any other manufacturer's current models. I'm not knocking it - I do like simplicity, especially when it comes to hand washing!

Confirmed I'm going for either red or white for mine.

Dangermouse

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Saw a black Model 3 today behind the Raleigh Service Center. Was able to walk around and look in the windows. Rather unassuming (at least in black), but maybe that's as compared to the dramatic T on the front of the S and X or as compared to all the vents and (fake) grills on any other manufacturer's current models. I'm not knocking it - I do like simplicity, especially when it comes to hand washing!

Confirmed I'm going for either red or white for mine.
Jumping in the car to head over now...woo hoo! Been dying to see one.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Apparently day 1 reservationists/owners have been invited to configure their Model 3s so in about a month there should be several of them tooling around the streets!