Non-Tesla Owner: 3 or wait for Y

• JOIN @TREVP AND SOME T.O.O. CREW FOR THE FIRST EVER ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT AT BASECAMP MIAMI!
    THE LARGEST ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT ON THE EAST COAST SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8th!
    Full details and RSVP here

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MrMannilow

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m getting FSD and AP on my Tesla. I sort of view it as a mandatory cost. Other than the speed in an EV, the main selling point of a Tesla is its technology. Getting a Tesla without FSD and AP is like getting a Jeep without 4x4.

Had you asked me this question before they switched up what each package entails, I would say FSD isn’t worth it. But now that navigate on autopilot, summon, etc are part of the FSD option it makes it a necessity
I thought the same when I ordered EAP. I figured most people would ask me to show them the self driving. To my surprise maybe only 2 people I've talked to understood it actually could do this. I've had people tell me their car has lane assist and it was the same until they drove it. Glad to hear you're getting everything. I also feel that's that makes Tesla a Tesla

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Model 3 with the back seats folded down is plenty of room for the big dog, even two by my experience.
I found that leaving the rear seats upright gives our two dogs, one shepherd, one retriever, more room than with the seats down, and easier/safer to get into and out of the vehicle (our shepherd is almost 15 years old).

11thIndian

Country
Country
I know I want the Model Y. The question is... is it worthwhile to get a Model 3 and trade in my Audi A3 e-tron for the sake of a year and a half to two years? Or am I just compiling the depreciation of the A3 on top of a Model 3? On the other hand I did get a $9,100 Ontario tax credit for the A3, and if I get a Model 3 I'll still be able to take advantage of the $3,750 Federal credit here in the US where I now live.

Ug!

Protect1989

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know I want the Model Y. The question is... is it worthwhile to get a Model 3 and trade in my Audi A3 e-tron for the sake of a year and a half to two years? Or am I just compiling the depreciation of the A3 on top of a Model 3? On the other hand I did get a $9,100 Ontario tax credit for the A3, and if I get a Model 3 I'll still be able to take advantage of the $3,750 Federal credit here in the US where I now live.

Ug!

I was in your shoes (except my vehicle was getting 13mpg. Easier decision for me). Anyway, the model Y is starting production until fall 2020. Which means only the top tier version(s) will be produced if they are on schedule. Realitsitically, expecting the vehicles to start being delivered in mid 2021 isn’t a far stretch.

Now the other question is do you want the first model Y to roll off the line? Or do you want to give them some time to iron out any kinks and make any changes (both to the vehicle and to the cost of it since they love switching that stuff around).

So if you expect a delay in production, know that unless you’re getting the Performance you might have to wait longer, and want to give them some time to iron out any issues/make changes, you’re looking late 2021 MAYBE early 2022.

So between now and then, do you want to be in your Audi or in your model 3?

I know I want the Model Y. .....for the sake of a year and a half to two years?
I am not well versed in the depreciation part of your question and only you know your particular financials as to whether it makes sense to grab an incredible 3 now (GOT TESLA !:)) vs. waiting for a Y. However, having a manufacturing engineering background in the medical device industry and taking multiple plant tours (including a private one), having an aqaintance who used to run a mult-billion $ mutual fund say to me that it is sad watching the current train wreck, watching the near total anillation of a most incredible experienced executive suite that truly helped build and smartly guide the company with wisdom who several I have known. Unfortunately, I see even further delays in execution in bringing the amazing and very important Y to market in a timely manner with a meaningful production ramp. Just look how quickly the semi got derailed when Jerome (who is so awesome!) got yanked off that project to help extuinguish raging wild fires on the 3 line to help save Tesla. Any company can have reveal events, it’s quite another thing to to follow thru with an honest and realistic timeline production start, and ramp of this Herculean effort building cars, trucks, and OTR rigs towing nearly 100,000 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

11thIndian

Country
Country
I was in your shoes (except my vehicle was getting 13mpg. Easier decision for me). Anyway, the model Y is starting production until fall 2020. Which means only the top tier version(s) will be produced if they are on schedule. Realitsitically, expecting the vehicles to start being delivered in mid 2021 isn’t a far stretch.
Not to say this "couldn't" happen with the Model Y. But are people forgetting that the first Model 3 wasn't the most expensive version? First production Model 3 was LR RWD Premium Interior. Dual-Motor and Performance variants wouldn't start until late July 2018. 6-8 months after early production cars started being delivered.

But on my conundrum... yes, it vexes me!

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi everyone,

Non- Tesla owner looking for some advice.

I currently have a 2018 Grand Cherokee with the V8. Its sucking down gas like theres no tomorrow.

I was really excited about the Model Y given that it was a taller/larger version of the 3. My main complaint about driving the 3 was how low it felt to the ground (personal opinion). With the news that the delivery is realistically 2 years away, it puts me in an odd spot car shopping wise and would love some feedback from others. Here are my options:

1) I have a good amount of positive equity in my jeep. I could sell it now, order a Model 3, and keep that for 2-3 years until the Y is readily available

2) I could sell the jeep, pocket that equity, and look at a 2-3 year lease of some other non-tesla model

3) I can keep the jeep and hope the depreciation over the next 2 years isnt too severe so I dont lose a lot of that equity.

I am open to suggestions and opinions so please share your thoughts! thanks!
Get a model three now. Forgo the performance version but get the model you want. I strongly recommend the long range RWD version. When the model Y is readily available, you will know exactly what you want and what the vehicle has to offer. You can then upgrade at your convenience. In the meantime you will be driving a great car.

victor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Ug!
Don't forget that you have to keep your A3 for at least one year. If you're going to sell/trade it before one year ownership mark you have to return that Ontario $9100 rebate you've got.

11thIndian

Country
Country
Don't forget that you have to keep your A3 for at least one year. If you're going to sell/trade it before one year ownership mark you have to return that Ontario $9100 rebate you've got.
No worries there. I bought in May 2017. So I'm well clear of the 1 year deadline, though I did call them proactively because I was buying out my lease to move to California last June.

I think if I could do it all over again I would have walked away from my Audi (paid the Lease breaking fee) and bought a Model 3 down here, but they were still in relatively short supply last June, so I may have been without a car for a couple of months at least. That and it's still a compromise for my 80lb sheepdog to have a car without a hatch. But when my wife moved down she bought a Tiguan, so the weight of responsibility for the second car has gone down.

Still, I don't want want the Tigan to be the "family travel car", even though it's likely to be larger and have more ground clearance than the eventual Model Y.