Product Review Nomad Wireless Charger

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

James M

Country
Country

lupend88

Country
Country
This looks wonderfully designed but I have one major hesitation. Do you see the divider in-between the two phones? How will this fit an iPhone wider than the X (aka an 8 Plus)? Imagine the added width of an 8 Plus (and even MORE width if it has a case on it). Do you think that will fit onto the charger in the same way the case-less X's fit?

screen-shot-2018-07-30-at-12-03-42-pm-png.12413

HeyEllwood

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Alright, ordered this morning with the 10% off (took about 3 days for them to send me it). With shipping and everything, came out to be around $134, which ya know..is a bit pricey, but it seems to be the best option and best designed wireless charging coming out for the 3.

HeyEllwood

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This looks wonderfully designed but I have one major hesitation. Do you see the divider in-between the two phones? How will this fit an iPhone wider than the X (aka an 8 Plus)? Imagine the added width of an 8 Plus (and even MORE width if it has a case on it). Do you think that will fit onto the charger in the same way the case-less X's fit?

View attachment 12413
I would reach out to them and check with their support team prior to ordering.

lupend88

Country
Country
I would reach out to them and check with their support team prior to ordering.
I reached out to them on Twitter and will report back when I hear from them. I currently have the X so this product will work great with that, but I plan on ordering the X Plus (or whatever Apple decides to call it) this fall and I want to make sure it will fit. I'm sure many others are in the same boat so I'm a bit surprised people ordered this before verifying.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

View attachment 12413
I’m worried about the catch on the bottom (where it sits and it does it bump anything) and the depth of their product as well given the internal battery. I’m hoping to get more information soon!

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m worried about the catch on the bottom (where it sits and it does it bump anything) and the depth of their product as well given the internal battery. I’m hoping to get more information soon!
Yeah, I’m definitely undecided between the two. They both appear to be well built and have an OEM look. Would be nice if someone had both in hand to compare. I’m pretty sure the Nomad is thicker than the Jeda, but haven’t heard back from Nomad on their specs yet. Not sure the added thickness, if any, would make a difference anyway. Both should be capable of 7.5W output, although I’m a bit stumped why the Nomad apparently needs the booster to achieve 7.5W, but that’s what they say on their website the way I read it. Maybe that’s a mistake and the booster will actually give the Nomad more than 7.5W. I like how the Nomad has the booster built into the platform, whereas for the Jeda it’s a separate, add on module (if needed,which I don’t). I do have a concern that if the Nomad built in booster were to fail for some reason, that there would be a chance the unit would not charge strictly off of USB. You would think this shouldn’t be a problem, but with it being an all-in-one unit, you never know. I have not heard back from Nomad on this question.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, I’m definitely undecided between the two. They both appear to be well built and have an OEM look. Would be nice if someone had both in hand to compare. I’m pretty sure the Nomad is thicker than the Jeda, but haven’t heard back from Nomad on their specs yet. Not sure the added thickness, if any, would make a difference anyway. Both should be capable of 7.5W output, although I’m a bit stumped why the Nomad apparently needs the booster to achieve 7.5W, but that’s what they say on their website the way I read it. Maybe that’s a mistake and the booster will actually give the Nomad more than 7.5W. I like how the Nomad has the booster built into the platform, whereas for the Jeda it’s a separate, add on module (if needed,which I don’t). I do have a concern that if the Nomad built in booster were to fail for some reason, that there would be a chance the unit would not charge strictly off of USB. You would think this shouldn’t be a problem, but with it being an all-in-one unit, you never know. I have not heard back from Nomad on this question.
Yeah I don’t understand why it needs the battery to make the 7.5W either. I’m hoping to get a unit for the comparison.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I heard back from the Nomad representative and the thickness of the Nomad is 10 mm (.39”). By comparison, the Jeda is 6mm (.24”). So, the Nomad is about 67% thicker than the Jeda. Not sure if that matters at all, but now you know.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure how many they had to sell, but the website says sold out...

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And I just got my 10% code last night and the dang thing was sold out. Oh well, at least I can let the reviews come in to see if it’s worth it or not.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Yes....we definitely need a review on this product. First one in let us know Please! Specifically someone who has both products and a Comparison review.

Ski

Zeke

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My computer somehow managed to order both the Jedda and the Nomad (I am blameless), so I will have the opportunity to compare and will happily re-home one of them once they (and the car) are delivered.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My computer somehow managed to order both the Jedda and the Nomad (I am blameless), so I will have the opportunity to compare and will happily re-home one of them once they (and the car) are delivered.
@Zeke,

Looking forward to it! If you don’t have your 3 yet maybe a friend will let you test run them in his 3 for a comparison review.

Ski

ronmis

Country
Country
got my 10% off last night and it was sold out :(

I hope to get the biggest iPhone that will be released in September, hopefully that will fit in the phone charging area

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
got my 10% off last night and it was sold out :(

I hope to get the biggest iPhone that will be released in September, hopefully that will fit in the phone charging area
The bigger thing to consider is if the new iPhone supports faster than 7.5W wireless fast charge this device is not going to cut it.

HeyEllwood

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The bigger thing to consider is if the new iPhone supports faster than 7.5W wireless fast charge this device is not going to cut it.
I suppose if you are someone who is in constant need of charging your phone while driving around than it may be a good thought to charge it at night time while sleeping that way it is fully charged and you're not solely dependent on the car for most of the charging. Either way, I do feel like the Nomad will charge fairly quickly due to it being plugged into both ports and having that battery within it. I guess we'll wait and see.

Chilman408

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, on top of the practicality of charging faster than 7.5W -

Wireless Chargers that goes above 7.5W requires 2 coils, they need either a dedicated source that is above 5V 2A or probably two 5V 2A connections going into one charger.

Two independent 5V 2A connections will be difficult to have Tesla support.

Requirement for routing to the 12V or a battery supplement are inelegant solutions that I think won't have a mass market.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I suppose if you are someone who is in constant need of charging your phone while driving around than it may be a good thought to charge it at night time while sleeping that way it is fully charged and you're not solely dependent on the car for most of the charging. Either way, I do feel like the Nomad will charge fairly quickly due to it being plugged into both ports and having that battery within it. I guess we'll wait and see.
I would tend to agree — the 7.5W wireless meets my needs 99% of the time which is probably all you should base a decision on when buying a product. Fringe cases hardly make sense. That said, there have been a few occasions leaving work after being in meetings all day and maybe I’m not going directly home but to a dinner or work event instead and faster charging would be nice.

It looks like the Nomad team has a very elegant solution with the built in fast charge battery, but it’s odd seeing as how it’s unecessary in the first place with the front side USB supplying the 7.5W already.

We’ll see...