Product Review Nomad Wireless Charger

AO - Pete

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Ive had my iPhoneX since it was first available (so coming up on 2 years) and have only ever charged it using 'slow' Qi charging pads. (actually, all of the ones I have are capable of FC, but don't have them plugged into the higher amp ports). Never once has its battery ran down to dead. Even at slow speeds, wireless charging is awesome, and in my own use, have never needed faster charging. (plus, it just has an amazing battery).
for instance, yesterday it had audio playing most all of the day - around 8pm I noticed it was around 40% battery and dropped it on the qi pad in the kitchen for an hour or so (still playing audio). Then I turned off the music and took it to another room and didn't put it on a charger. This morning, after being 'unplugged' for the night, it was still over 80%.
The nice thing about Qi, is I have a couple pads at home, one at work and the one in the car. So wherever the phone is, there is one that it can get a trickle charge from, so while it may not be an immediate charge rate, it is always available and eliminating the need for a fast charge.
I think that's the key difference. For most of the day, I'm either in my car, at one of my office desks, watching TV or sleeping. In all of those locations I have a Qi charger (and wifi, so the phone isn't hunting for cell towers), so it's almost muscle memory to just drop it on and start charging. Most days I doubt I get below 80%, it's only when I'm travelling that I have to pay any attention to the battery charge. I also don't constantly use my phone for anything, other than Waze (when driving), and listening to Podcasts, but I'm generally not staring at my phone for huge amounts of time. My wife on the other hand, same phone, same chargers, but the battery is frequently running low. It's just a habit thing, but, with that said, Apple needs to get with the times and support Fast Charging. They're running out of features to make upgrading worthwhile, so I suspect the next iPhone will finally have it.

JustTheTip

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wanted to update about the issue I had been having early on with my V1 Nomad (with battery pack). With older car firmwares and a USB splitter cable, I would have to unplug/re-plug the USB stick to get it to work. Happy to report with 20.4.4, things have been working as they should.