Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
441 - 460 of 473 Posts
Nomad has two different Gen?
They look the same but the first gen has an internal battery and the second gen does not.

The explanation was that the battery was necessary to achieve 7.5w as the front side USB were initially deficient in power. Oddly enough by the time the NOMAD hit the market the front USB had already been upgraded to 7.5w output so the battery was technically never necessary.

Reactions: Perscitus
With Firmware 8.5, all the problems I had with the Nomad V1 have disappeared and it (so far) has been working flawlessly with a USB splitter cable installed in the left USB port with the dashcam/music thumb drive. I emailed Jeda to cancel my order I placed with them last month. I haven't had to unplug/re-plug anything since I installed 8.5 a few days ago. :)

I'm curious if anyone has tried to replicate the testing methadology that arstechnica used on their recent review of a bunch of wireless charging pads to see how the Nomad (or other wireless chargers for the Model 3) compare. :
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...i-wireless-charging-pads-for-your-smartphone/

Basically, they started with a phone with 0% battery, checked how much charge it took after one hour, and timed how long it took to get to 100% charged.

And they just released a new product today

This looks really nice and the trap compartment for the TeslaCam USB is a nice touch. I'm curious what happens to the wattage with 3-4 devices charging out of it. I sent them a message asking.

They look the same but the first gen has an internal battery and the second gen does not.

The explanation was that the battery was necessary to achieve 7.5w as the front side USB were initially deficient in power. Oddly enough by the time the NOMAD hit the market the front USB had already been upgraded to 7.5w output so the battery was technically never necessary.
you may mislead others. 7.5w doesn't mean fast charge. To fast charge, the output voltage needs to be more than 9V. And the front port output is only 5v. They may remove the battery for some other reason.

you may mislead others. 7.5w doesn't mean fast charge. To fast charge, the output voltage needs to be more than 9V. And the front port output is only 5v. They may remove the battery for some other reason.
I never mentioned the term fast charge, just passed along exactly what NOMAD said to me which was that the battery was in place to ensure 7.5W was delivered. Their product only supports a max of 7.5W. At the time they designed the product the Model 3 was only providing 5W from the front side USB, so its clear they made the decision on the battery and subsequently why they removed it since it wasn't actually necessary.

Reactions: Unplugged
It's not a bad price for OEM. Tesla have started to blame some of the random screen reboots on having 3rd-party accessories plugged into the USB ports, so if nothing else, this means they can't do that.

They're out of stock because they always seem to do a really, really bad job of stock management and demand estimating.

Tesla dropped their own, but it doesn't look as nice and costs more. It's also out of stock which means people weren't in the know.

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-3-wireless-phone-charger.html
It's not a bad price for OEM. Tesla have started to blame some of the random screen reboots on having 3rd-party accessories plugged into the USB ports, so if nothing else, this means they can't do that.

They're out of stock because they always seem to do a really, really bad job of stock management and demand estimating.
I'm one of those weirdos that likes OEM parts whenever possible which is why I sprung for the extra amount. I'm struggling with it a bit though because I ran some fast charger usb-c to lighting cables to the front earlier and decided it was time to go the wireless charging route. As I guessed, other than on longer drives, it's all but useless with an iPhone. It doesn't charge fast enough to add significant charge on a 10-15 minute drive while the fast charger pulling 18w from the center console car charger. I may sell my Tesla wireless charger...

I'm one of those weirdos that likes OEM parts whenever possible which is why I sprung for the extra amount. I'm struggling with it a bit though because I ran some fast charger usb-c to lighting cables to the front earlier and decided it was time to go the wireless charging route. As I guessed, other than on longer drives, it's all but useless with an iPhone. It doesn't charge fast enough to add significant charge on a 10-15 minute drive while the fast charger pulling 18w from the center console car charger. I may sell my Tesla wireless charger...
The iPhone is limited to 7.5W wireless and the Tesla OEM pad actually doesn't specify (unless I missed it) what it supports. I know NOMAD is limited to 7.5W and Jeda is 15W.

The iPhone is limited to 7.5W wireless and the Tesla OEM pad actually doesn't specify (unless I missed it) what it supports. I know NOMAD is limited to 7.5W and Jeda is 15W.
Yeah I actually wrote Tesla to ask about their wireless charge pad wattage but I purchased anyways as soon as it went on sale because I've been waiting for an OEM pad. With the iPhone being limited to 7.5W, it just isn't significant enough charging for the majority of my driving which is on the shorter end. The 20W USB-C to Lightning I have hidden in the side trim of the center console charges a significant amount even when only plugged in for 10-15 minutes.

Reactions: SoFlaModel3
Yeah I actually wrote Tesla to ask about their wireless charge pad wattage but I purchased anyways as soon as it went on sale because I've been waiting for an OEM pad. With the iPhone being limited to 7.5W, it just isn't significant enough charging for the majority of my driving which is on the shorter end. The 20W USB-C to Lightning I have hidden in the side trim of the center console charges a significant amount even when only plugged in for 10-15 minutes.
I hear you - hoping for faster wireless charging in iPhone 11 for sure.

Ive had my iPhoneX since it was first available (so coming up on 2 years) and have only ever charged it using 'slow' Qi charging pads. (actually, all of the ones I have are capable of FC, but don't have them plugged into the higher amp ports). Never once has its battery ran down to dead. Even at slow speeds, wireless charging is awesome, and in my own use, have never needed faster charging. (plus, it just has an amazing battery).
for instance, yesterday it had audio playing most all of the day - around 8pm I noticed it was around 40% battery and dropped it on the qi pad in the kitchen for an hour or so (still playing audio). Then I turned off the music and took it to another room and didn't put it on a charger. This morning, after being 'unplugged' for the night, it was still over 80%.
The nice thing about Qi, is I have a couple pads at home, one at work and the one in the car. So wherever the phone is, there is one that it can get a trickle charge from, so while it may not be an immediate charge rate, it is always available and eliminating the need for a fast charge.

441 - 460 of 473 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.