Noise coming from rear right back seat area

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Simon2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took delivery a week ago and have had an annoying noise ever since from the rear right corner in the back seat. I figured it was probably something minor vibrating/rubbing. However, having spent a week looking for the source I have had no luck. It seems to be worst in the evening after my long commute home and when traveling at 10-20 mph on surface streets. I got a pretty good recording of it this evening. Certainly does not sound like a new car!

I've checked for a loose seatbelt housing, a belt buckle rubbing/vibrating off something, a loose window/door latch, vibrating plastic housing between the window and back seat, vibrating latch on the backseat, loose speakers/speaker housing, and wiring to internal lights in the trunk. I've also searched for items under the trunk fabric that might be missing fasteners and loose. All to no avail. Now starting to wonder if the noise if from within the wheel housing.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you sit back there and look while someone else was driving and recreating the noise?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The subwoofer is in the trunk on the right (passenger side). I would hope you'd be able to isolate that by turning down the volume or source on the sound system.

woodisgood

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We are monitoring a sound coming from in that region as well - kind of a light rattle, like a playing card through the spokes of a bicycle wheel. Seemed like it was present around 20-40mph, though today it was gone. Need to do more experimentation.

ETC SS M3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same issue. Dropped car off at SC this morning for a different minor issue, but, drove a tech around trying to get it to happen, of course it didn't. Have an idea what it could be, will provide more information when I get it back.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No insights on the sound, but here is a good thread with the breakdown of the car and many components. Look for the video showing the deconstructed view where all of the components that are in the back of the car and under the seat area. All of the battery connections and components are back there along with the motor and subwoofer in the trunk too. Might help understand how much is going on back there.
Amazing - Inginineerix Model 3 teardown

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it possible the foam in the tire has come loose and is causing the tire to become unbalanced?
Unlikely, but easy to test.
Rotate your wheels/tires, and see if the sound moves.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unlikely, but easy to test.
Rotate your wheels/tires, and see if the sound moves.
Yeah, I figure it's unlikely. Something like that wouldn't be as unclear/subtle as to what it was - just throwing it out there as I have seen a few owners who have experienced it.

Vin

Country
Country
Slightly off topic, but relating to rear noise, does anyone experience a banging sound when flooring it, coming from the rear (sounds like either the speaker or trunk cover (in deep storage part) goes up and slams down? Maybe it's just normal if hitting a slight bump in road when flooring it, and since the car is so quiet we hear every bang. Not sure if the trunk cover can sound that loud but sounds like something is thrown in the air and quickly slams down.
I don't always floor it lol, but when I do this happens sometimes.
Thx

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hope the OP doesn't really have a serious problem, but I also have to wonder about someone new popping in(one post) to alert and investigate a problem and then not being back with any report. Maybe OP is watching and checking, but would be nice to hear back once in a while. Don't forget you can also fold that side of the seat down and you might hear more as well if it is coming from behind the seat. Also reported that the back seat pops right up if you really want to hear what is going on under there.

calvan

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I just started having a noise from the rear passenger side last night. Seems to start around 30mph. Hard to describe but sounds like very tiny hail lightly plinking off of glass. Had the car 2 weeks without issue. I checked windows, door panels, anything back there and can’t seem to locate it. I’m going to drive it a few more days to see if it gets worse or magically goes away before calling service center. I know if I rush to get it in the noise will miraculously disappear once there. Interested if someone else takes theirs in and gets a diagnosis.

woodisgood

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine went away magically. I suspect it may have had something to do with the "fabric" rear wheel well liner. Like many owners, I have clips missing in that area, so maybe the fabric was fwapping back there and settled down for some reason. Not sure why it went away but it has been gone for weeks now.

calvan

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Mine went away magically. I suspect it may have had something to do with the "fabric" rear wheel well liner. Like many owners, I have clips missing in that area, so maybe the fabric was fwapping back there and settled down for some reason. Not sure why it went away but it has been gone for weeks now.
Good to hear it went away, I’m hoping for the same which is why I haven’t made a service appt yet.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I posted this elsewhere, but I’m so excited that the 2 annoying rattles which have been irritating me for the past month have have finally been discovered. I found a way, using a free tone generator, to isolate the rattles with the car parked. I then just put my ear to the locations and bingo! Service scheduled and I know exactly where to have the SC look. I made a short video clip showing how it works:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Slightly off topic, but relating to rear noise, does anyone experience a banging sound when flooring it, coming from the rear (sounds like either the speaker or trunk cover (in deep storage part) goes up and slams down? Maybe it's just normal if hitting a slight bump in road when flooring it, and since the car is so quiet we hear every bang. Not sure if the trunk cover can sound that loud but sounds like something is thrown in the air and quickly slams down.
I don't always floor it lol, but when I do this happens sometimes.
Thx
I have the same noise problem. Did you find the fix?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I suspected this could be the cause. Mine’s missing clips too.