No summons for Canada?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m reading that Canada isn’t getting the summons update? Some Regulation requiring a fob/immobilizer?
If this is true does anyone feel like filing a complaint with Tesla? We paid for these features... Thoughts?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m reading that Canada isn’t getting the summons update? Some Regulation requiring a fob/immobilizer?
If this is true does anyone feel like filing a complaint with Tesla? We paid for these features... Thoughts?
How do you know tesla is not working on a solution to work with the Canadian regulators? Not to mention, EAP is far from complete. They are still in the ‘feature rollout’ phase.
67fa82d5-8adc-492b-a6fe-e3ccaf7b04bc-jpeg.12474

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m reading that Canada isn’t getting the summons update?
Can you provide a link where you read this?

I've heard that Canadians cannot *currently* use summon due to the fob regulation. But I bet Tesla is working on a solution.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have to imagine Tesla is working on something but if a fob is required by law it would involve changing laws - we all know how quick our politicians work so this might not come to our cars for months or even longer. Or every Canadian owner would just get a fob I assume?

I saw the same thing about a fob being required in a reddit post and teslamotors form post with screen shots of email correspondences with Tesla saying it is not available in Canada due to regulatory requirements.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can you show me where summon was promised with what you paid for and not followed by a legal disclaimer that basically says "where law allows"?

May Canadians should work to fix their own laws.

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just updated from 21.9 to 28.1 today in Canada.. it's got all the features from releases in between but NOT summon!

Dan Cissell

Country
Country
Really the summon ban is not fair, I mean we are allowed to have our cars park and drive by themselves, so what difference does it make allowing it to drive slowly for 15 feet, Tesla also could have been a little more upfront about this issue before delivery in Canada.

Norm Corriveau

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The question now is if we will have to pay $200 to get a FOB before summon is enabled? I'm hoping Tesla simply got a clarification from the feds that summon will be allowed with simply a phone. My phone works great and I don't really need a FOB. If the FOB was free then I suppose I would get it but $200 is a lot for a feature I thought was included with EAP when I purchased.

FrankLang

I've also inquired with our Store here in Montreal and they are not at all aware if we now get the summon feature with the FOB, which I did order yesterday btw. I think I will call Fremont and see what they say.

FrankLang

I've also inquired with our Store here in Montreal and they are not at all aware if we now get the summon feature with the FOB, which I did order yesterday btw. I think I will call Fremont and see what they say.
I'm just speaking with Fremont right now, and they don't know either. The customer service isn't aware about Canadians M3 owners not having the summon feature. They will inquire with other departments and get back to me. So don't know how we get the summon update, if any... Also they say the newest summon update can now turn corners as well, versus only going forward and back. Hope we get this and soon!

TLA

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... Also they say the newest summon update can now turn corners as well, versus only going forward and back. Hope we get this and soon!
The advanced summon features will be interesting, here's a recent tweet from Elon about it:

Car will drive to your phone location & follow you like a pet if you hold down summon button on Tesla app

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The advanced summon features will be interesting, here's a recent tweet from Elon about it:

Car will drive to your phone location & follow you like a pet if you hold down summon button on Tesla app

the car will follow you around like a pet after a tesla drives itself across the country, you should do yourself a favor and take Elon's twitter feed with a huge grain of salt, he tends to make bold promises that sometimes never can happen.

TLA

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the car will follow you around like a pet after a tesla drives itself across the country, you should do yourself a favor and take Elon's twitter feed with a huge grain of salt, he tends to make bold promises that sometimes never can happen.
Oh, I 100% agree. When Elon makes bold statements I see them as aspirational rather than firm plans. I find that that he'll make these bold statements which often take much, much longer for them to achieve, but quite often they eventually do and despite missing their own deadlines they do it well ahead of their competition. If he didn't make these bold statements I don't think they'd innovate at the rate that they do.

FrankLang

Well Fremont customer service doesn't know either about any update to Model 3 summon feature in Canada, or even which department takes care of this. Clearly it's Tesla that had to enable or disable the feature to follow the rules. Anyway I'm hoping it's on their ToDo list and soon. Will try to get more info with Transport Canada

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well Fremont customer service doesn't know either about any update to Model 3 summon feature in Canada, or even which department takes care of this. Clearly it's Tesla that had to enable or disable the feature to follow the rules. Anyway I'm hoping it's on their ToDo list and soon. Will try to get more info with Transport Canada
I wish I could find a reference to the rule(s) that prevent summon in Canada.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have vehicle immobilizer laws in Canada that so far have allowed summon to work on Model S and X but only from the phone app and you must be within 1M of the car. It was pure speculation that a keyfob was the requirement that would allow it on Model 3 given that that the only difference between it and the other Teslas.

I'm still trying to get a definitive answer on the lack of summon in Canada but so far the new key fob still does not activate it on Model 3.

minogully

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, I am not a Lawyer, but I've been digging through the laws that appear to govern the autopark and summon features. There's an act in Ontario that outlines a pilot program to test automated driving systems, called the "O. Reg. 306/15: PILOT PROJECT - AUTOMATED VEHICLES":

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r15306

(Much of the following is conjecture, so take it with a grain of salt...)

In this 'pilot project' act, it specifically states that to test an automated vehicle, the driver must remain behind the wheel of the car. So, it seems to me that the auto park and the summon feature are not allowed in Ontario. But this didn't come into effect until January 1, 2016, so perhaps any vehicle that was created prior to this date got grandfathered in, so long as it conformed to the national Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

I looked through this act a number of times and can't find anything that would specifically prohibit self-driving cars. But, I did see something that allowed cars that didn't follow the safety regulations of this act to be granted an exception by the minister if the car's features would help make the car safer. So, assuming that the Motor Vehicle Safety Act somehow says something that I missed that conflicts with the summon and the autopark feature, the Model S and X could have been granted an exception.

Again, I am not a lawyer.