No ski door. But so simple!

Benitod06

Country
Country
Hi all,

I really wonder why some car manufacturers do not always think do put a ski door in the back seats.
I am pretty sure the cost is low and it is really a nice tool to avoid using this 1/3 2/3 solution which is less comfortable.
Any after market solution ?

Thanks.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Keep in mind that the ski pass through is part of a seating surface, which impacts crash testing. So any mechanism there needs to be able to hold shut in crash situation.

Cost is therefore much higher than you would think.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because there are many more people that carry dogs.

In other words, you can't please everyone and skiers that carry skis in a car is a small segment

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hope to put 500k miles om my car and I appreciate that I didn't have to pay any extra for a ski pass-through that I'll never use.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Apart from the informative perspective offered by @Needsdecaf above, I see most of the comments point to differences in personal needs & preferences (Dogs vs. skis... had to chuckle on that one... ;)).

Fact is a ski opening between trunk and backseats is a relatively common standard offering on most entry luxury vehicles like the typical Grosse Drei (Big three in German... ) have been commercializing for years. Note I don’t even have it on my S100D either and could use it now more often, one hour away from the Pyrenees... ;)

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Every other car I have had has had a ski pass through. I don't ski, but do carry lumber regularly (usually in my truck though). I am temped to do I1Tesla's mod, but the car is still too new. Maybe some aftermarket parts supplier will come up with a trim kit for this (hint - hint).

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It would be nice if there was a hatch for the pass-through. Because now when you have the armrest down, you always look into the boot. And will get extra noise from the boot.
My current 2006 car has a hatch, which is very convenient.
I think it can be possible, using the plastic cutout, with some plywood and a few hinges.

Bibs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agree with Garsh... I fail to see how putting down the 1/3 seat is any better or worse than a pass-thru for the rare times you'd have lumber in the car...

Skis? Get a ski rack. Don't need those things sliding around inside the whole way there and back...

Benitod06

Country
Country
Using the 1/3 seat is really less comfortable for the rear passengers and the skis may move much more and damage the seats. It was just a remark when I see my "poor" e-Golf which has a ski door rack :)
Anyway I will be happy to find the best solution when my Model 3 will be delivered In France.

akomlik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife, sone and I went last week to Tahoe skiing carrying 2 pairs of skis in the car.
Turned out I only had to put down rear right (1/3) seat back and lay the skis (175 and 165cm long) diagonal in the trunk with tips protruding towards right back door. Plenty of room for 3 people.
The only negative was upon arrival to resort we could not open the frunk due to common issue with a latch.
We stopped at Tesla service in Rocklin, CA on a way back and they replaced the mechanism in < 1 hour.

Benitod06

Country
Country
My wife, sone and I went last week to Tahoe skiing carrying 2 pairs of skis in the car.
Turned out I only had to put down rear right (1/3) seat back and lay the skis (175 and 165cm long) diagonal in the trunk with tips protruding towards right back door. Plenty of room for 3 people.
The only negative was upon arrival to resort we could not open the frunk due to common issue with a latch.
We stopped at Tesla service in Rocklin, CA on a way back and they replaced the mechanism in < 1 hour.
if you are 3 no questions for sure.

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do you always have 3 passengers while carrying lumber?

If not, then just put one of the rear seats down.

I hear you guys, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a pass through on a $60K car (in addition to a 60/40 rear seat) when all my sub $20K cars have had both (not to mention all the other small creature comforts this car is missing compared to MB or BMW - which I hear about from my relatives that own them - but they don't have 0-60 in 4.5 seconds).

I wouldn't trade my 3 for anything, but there is no doubt there are features missing on this entry level luxury car (heated steering wheel, entry/exit grab handles, self closing trunk/frunk and a ski passthrough to name a few)

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Benitod06 thanks for creating this topic!

@crmatson thanks for the video link!

Well, well, the procedure is a lot more involved than I hoped for! :confused: I will be doing some "testing" with the kids and skis this weekend. Does everything/everybody fit with 1/3 of the seat down???
Is your season starting already?

One person in the back, and putting down the 1/3 side for skis works fine. I used a towel to protect the seats, and didn't have any problems. I think if I was going to normally take 3 additional people skiing, I'd just spring for the roof rack. Two kids might work, if they're out of booster seats.

I think the next step on the ski pass through modification is to add an integrated ski bag, like I've seen on at least some Audis. It will keep them from sliding forward, or dripping on the interior.