No more wood trim...

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I still wish I had an extra that I could try staining. I think a really dark stain with high gloss would look nicer than the lighter finish it has.
This was my thought when I first saw the wood. I didn't mind it, but I think it might look good with a darker color - something grey to match the interior but that would retain the wood grain, to keep some visual interest on the large dash surface. I personally do not think I'd want to do high gloss on that surface - then again, I'm someone who plans to wrap the center console and door control surfaces because I don't like that piano black.

Having said that, I've warmed up (pun intended) to the veneer it comes with, as-is, so I may just leave it. I suppose I'll have to decide once I've had some time with it and decided what I think of it after seeing it up close for a while.

jsanford

Eloise the 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Probably means reflections of the light colored wood on the windshield.

On another note, I really want to see someone sand, stain and put polyurethane on the wood
We’re pretty much planning on doing exactly that. I’m concerned about the open pore wood getting grubby over the long time we plan to have this car. Plus I’d coffee-stain it otherwise.

Thanks to the OP showing directions on how to remove it from the car.

SolanaModel3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Probably cuts down reflections.
Probably means reflections of the light colored wood on the windshield.
Now that I picked up the car, I can objectively answer this... No reflections whatsoever. Zero. Zip. Zilch. I'm in SoCal, drove 2 days in full sun. Nothing.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This was my thought when I first saw the wood. I didn't mind it, but I think it might look good with a darker color - something grey to match the interior but that would retain the wood grain, to keep some visual interest on the large dash surface. I personally do not think I'd want to do high gloss on that surface - then again, I'm someone who plans to wrap the center console and door control surfaces because I don't like that piano black.

Having said that, I've warmed up (pun intended) to the veneer it comes with, as-is, so I may just leave it. I suppose I'll have to decide once I've had some time with it and decided what I think of it after seeing it up close for a while.
So, as luck would have it, the first Tesla-tuber has now done this and posted a video.

I don't think it looks terrible by any means. The color he was originally going for was similar to what I was thinking might look nice in the dark interior 3. His result, while still looking nice, was not what I was anticipating. I was hoping for something with a more muted look. I think the reality is that the veneer may be too thin to allow for much dye retention from the stain. Plus, it's definitely a matter of personal preference, but I would not have done the lacquer layer. I wouldn't rule out a protective layer, but I'd want it to be something flatter and not so glossy.

I'd still be interested to see others try different techniques (a grey wash perhaps?) or different stains (including water-based or tinted varieties) to achieve something that matches the interior of the car better but retains the wood grain. However, having seen the results, I think my plan will be to leave it as-is for awhile.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

There are super thin self-adhesive veneers you can buy (Amazon and elsewhere) that would work, and you might even have a shot at removing them later (though I wouldn't count on it). You can get some exotic woods. Some walnuts have gray in them would complement the existing tones, though I think a contrasting padauk or cocobolo with more red would be cool, too. Especially if you step outside of common oak and walnut, color can vary dramatically with highly-figured woods—so either try to get an actual image, pick it out in person, or make sure you can exchange it.

Some tips:
1. Avoid gloss (when you see shine, you're seeing bouncing white glare and not the wood, and it's distracting)
2. Make sure it's thin (<= 10 mils, 0.010 in, 0.25 mm)
3. Start over if you order it and it doesn't look like you expected
4. Before you commit, temporarily tack it on and try it for a while; get other peoples' opinions

Samples (cocobolo, walnut, walnut):

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So, as luck would have it, the first Tesla-tuber has now done this and posted a video.

I don't think it looks terrible by any means. The color he was originally going for was similar to what I was thinking might look nice in the dark interior 3. His result, while still looking nice, was not what I was anticipating. I was hoping for something with a more muted look. I think the reality is that the veneer may be too thin to allow for much dye retention from the stain. Plus, it's definitely a matter of personal preference, but I would not have done the lacquer layer. I wouldn't rule out a protective layer, but I'd want it to be something flatter and not so glossy.

I'd still be interested to see others try different techniques (a grey wash perhaps?) or different stains (including water-based or tinted varieties) to achieve something that matches the interior of the car better but retains the wood grain. However, having seen the results, I think my plan will be to leave it as-is for awhile.
I absolutely love what this guy did. I think it gives the entire interior a more sophisticated look. I just wonder if it could be done without removing the dash. Just love this color!

Dan

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I absolutely love what this guy did. I think it gives the entire interior a more sophisticated look. I just wonder if it could be done without removing the dash. Just love this color!

Dan
It's possible, but I wouldn't try it. You really need it removed to mask off the wood properly. Otherwise, if you've got any running, it'll discolor the plastic. Considering how easy it actually is to remove this piece, I wouldn't see why you'd chance it.

That said, if you do, I'd still at least try to mask it off with painters tape (as well as possible without removing it), and be very easy on the stain (on a rag) as you apply it, specifically so it doesn't run at all. There's no way you can use a spray product if you don't remove it, either.

I'd also forego the lacquer, if it were me. More than personal preference, I would not be surprised if he does a follow up video where he complains about the reflections. There's a reason why the current veneer has a flat finish.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Dan
It definitely wasn't what I was expecting, considering what he originally described was an idea I've been kicking around. That said, I do like that walnut look that he ended up with. I just wish he'd have left it un-laquered. I think the sprayed layer didn't improve it, and I actually like it less after he did that.

Personal preference though - to each their own. Still nice to see folks taking these kind of customizations on. I'm definitely interested in seeing more!

Travelwolf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
looks great, I didn't think I would like the wood when I got it but I actually kinda do now that i have it and see it in person :)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The new dash looks great and does add a touch of elegance to the interior. So it really depends what type of look the owner is seeking. For example, if you plan to do a chrome delete, then perhaps a matte black dash would be more consistent with the overall look of the car. I personally would have gone with a satin finish versus glossy.