No more wood trim...

Allb18c

Country
Country
Hi -

Thought it would be helpful for some who want to get rid of the wood trim in favor for something different. This what I did to remove the trim out.

1. Pull out the triangle piece at the ends. Stick a plastic tool to pry and pull out.
2. Pull up on the wood trim starting with the driver side and then moving towards the passenger side. Don't be scared its plastic.
3. Once you pulled up on the trim now it's time to pull out (pull towards you). Starting at one end or the other pull it and the entire assembly should come out. It will look like this after its out.
FCC317A9-8B43-451D-A55D-F5498160E3AA.jpg
You will see the 2 rows of clips.
4. Wrap with vinyl of your choice. I went with matte black as I have extra of it.
IMG_5753.jpg
IMG_5754.jpg
One side done:
IMG_5755.jpg
Other side completed:
IMG_5756 2.jpg
The difficult ends to make it look clean. Youtube videos really do help... NOTE: the 2 clips you see attaches to the triangle ends.
IMG_5757.jpg
5. Now the hard part IMO. Inserting the trim back. Line up the tabs and then push towards the car so the upper tabs hit and then with the same motion push down so the bottom clips lock into place. I started from one side and moved on from there. Here is the finished product.
IMG_5759.jpg

IMG_5758 2.jpg

Hope this helps. FYI. This is what I did, and I cannot be responsible if you replicate and have issues...

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks great! Thanks for including the details on removal. I think I won't mind the wood, but time will tell. The glossy plastic on the other hand will be covered immediately and I am doing full chrome delete.

Grashelm

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
It's a nice a clean install, but for the life of me I just can't understand why you'd want to cover up that nice piece of wood.... It does a great job breaking up the black monotony of the interior without being obnoxious...
But hey, likes and colors :)
^^^

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
It's a nice a clean install, but for the life of me I just can't understand why you'd want to cover up that nice piece of wood.... It does a great job breaking up the black monotony of the interior without being obnoxious...
But hey, likes and colors :)
Probably cuts down reflections.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We're going to be seeing a ton of Model3s on the road. Anything to make yours unique is awesome in my book. I plan to swap out bits and bobbins for fun. I personally like the wood but will probably use some vinyl on the console. That'll get smudged and greasy looking fast.

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That wood really isn't shiny.

I personally like the wood, but this is a fairly easy and inexpensive way for people to customize their 3s a little. I like seeing these kinds of posts. :)
Probably means reflections of the light colored wood on the windshield.

On another note, I really want to see someone sand, stain and put polyurethane on the wood

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So the wood piece itself doesn’t pop out of that?
I'm not sure what you're asking. The wood is a veneer. It's a really thin piece of wood glued to a piece of plastic. There's probably a way to remove it from the plastic, but you would destroy the wood in the process, and I bet it wouldn't be easy.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seeing that the whole dash piece comes off fairly easy I'm surprised companies like RPM Tesla tell you to wrap it in place. To me seems like a no brainer to take it off and have more space and angles to work with.

https://www.rpmtesla.com/product-page/model-3-1-piece-dashboard-wood-wrap-material-choice

https://www.rpmtesla.com/product-page/model-3-center-console-vinyl-wrap-protection

I'm really digging the carbon fiber vinyl trim for the dash and center console. Gives it a modern eye-catching detail while eliminating the gloss black fingerprint magnet on the console. And as others have mentioned it's fully removable if you change your mind, so not bad for $125 combined to drastically personalize the appearance.

Last edited:

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure what you're asking. The wood is a veneer. It's a really thin piece of wood glued to a piece of plastic. There's probably a way to remove it from the plastic, but you would destroy the wood in the process, and I bet it wouldn't be easy.
I mean just the piece with the wood veneer, rather than all of the surrounding plastic, to make it easier to sand/stain without messing up the other parts

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I mean just the piece with the wood veneer, rather than all of the surrounding plastic, to make it easier to sand/stain without messing up the other parts

I feel like I saw that specific part off/separate in one of the Google Photo libraries... and, shoot, I don't have the links on my phone and work computer isn't allowing access to them. I'll search for it there once I'm home and reply here if you haven't been answered here by then (or if someone finds it before me).

Edit: I found the pic on my phone, I was wrong...they have tape protecting the parts they didn’t want to sand/stain.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=aXphVjlKZ2hlOXVtMjlFbGRjTU5YdzgzQWh5bWNR

Last edited:

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My original intention was to pull the wood piece out and wrap it. As I recall, the wood piece is glued on/integrated into the larger piece.
I still wish I had an extra that I could try staining. I think a really dark stain with high gloss would look nicer than the lighter finish it has.