No maintenance for 2 years?

RIP_OPEC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Someone on here mentioned that the drive unit fluid replacement for the Model 3 is really the only significant thing they do at the first annual service center visit, yet the fluid will easily last 4 years, so wouldn't it be better to skip it and wait until the next year to take it into service? That's at least one free 18" Michelin tire (including labor) from the savings of postponing.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well - I'm off searching but can't find my reference. Thought that the oil in the drive unit didn't need replaced on the 3 because of the filter that was added. It's unlike the S and X which didn't have a filter. Tesla has very little published on the matter.

Edit: I can't find a source that says no need to service, but Tesla has published nothing that says you should (not that I can find.). I'm quite certain I've read though that they added the filter so that you don't need the maintenance on the drive unit oil that the S and X needed.

The closest think I can find to a reference is a thread by @garsh and there are no cited references there either. Will Model 3 require an Oil Change?

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well - I'm off searching but can't find my reference. Thought that the oil in the drive unit didn't need replaced on the 3 because of the filter that was added.
That is correct. Only the S/X require that the drive unit fluid be replaced during the first visit. The Model 3 recommended maintenance makes no mention of replacing it. It was noted on at least one of the tear-down videos that the Model 3 has added a filter to the drive unit. I assume this was done to trap any of the small pieces of metal shavings that are created during initial wear-in, thus avoiding the need to replace the fluid.