No Home Charging thread

djejnyc

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello Fellow M3 owners! This thread is to discuss those of us who DON'T have home charging options.
I live in an apartment building in Brooklyn, NY. We park in the garage in the building next door and have no chance to put in any type of charger.
There's two superchargers nearby, one 30mins away (JFK Airport) and one 20mins away (Williamsburg Urban Supercharger), plus one five minutes away to be completed "By end of summer 2018" and another 10 minutes away to be completed "by the end of 2018".
Anybody have any luck using other chargers? The whole foods on 3rd has two stalls that are free but I believe they use Chademo connectors, and currently M3 is not supported for Chademo? Anybody know?
Would love to hear other experiences with no home charging in urban areas.

PS I just ordered my M3 (Black, LR, no EAP), estimate Aug-Oct delivery

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I think you no-home-charging people are hardcore ;) You deserve a way to ping owners of other EVs when you arrive at a charging station, so that they can vacate if it they don't really "need" it ;)

What's the parking situation like at your place of work? Any chance that a friendly request at the office might get a charger installed?

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t have a fast charge solution at home.

But I’m lucky to have 3 supercharger options near work/home. I work close to two superchargers and live close to another one.

Installing a NEMA outlet at home will cost $1200+ due to my fuse box being close to 100 ft away from my garage. Spending $12-15 for 200-250 range charge is fine for me vs the price of setup at home. Charging at home without having Solar installed will cost me nearly the same in electricity usage, so for now I’m saving on the install costs of an outlet. Plus if I really want to, I’m able to charge up to 50 miles of range overnight plugging into the standard 15 amp plug. (10 hours charging)

My options, all within 5 miles of work/home:
92F64B0D-AA0B-4BD6-843A-CEA6573378D7.jpeg

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in an apartment, but there's a 120v 20a outlet in the garage and electricity in the garage is free. I plugged a Volt into 120v for the last 2.5 years and have a 7 mile commute most days. I recently swapped out the outlet for a hospital grade one. I suspect I can put up with 120v charging for many more years.

mkg3

Country
Country
I don’t have a fast charge solution at home.

But I’m lucky to have 3 supercharger options near work/home. I work close to two superchargers and live close to another one.

Installing a NEMA outlet at home will cost $1200+ due to my fuse box being close to 100 ft away from my garage. Spending $12-15 for 200-250 range charge is fine for me vs the price of setup at home. Charging at home without having Solar installed will cost me nearly the same in electricity usage, so for now I’m saving on the install costs of an outlet. Plus if I really want to, I’m able to charge up to 50 miles of range overnight plugging into the standard 15 amp plug. (10 hours charging)

My options, all within 5 miles of work/home:
View attachment 11632
There is South Coast AQMD home EV charging incentive program to offset some of the costs, if you so desire....
http://www.aqmd.gov/home/programs/community/community-detail?title=ev-charging-incentive

djejnyc

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think you no-home-charging people are hardcore ;) You deserve a way to ping owners of other EVs when you arrive at a charging station, so that they can vacate if it they don't really "need" it ;)

What's the parking situation like at your place of work? Any chance that a friendly request at the office might get a charger installed?
No charging at work that I know of, plus parking in Manhattan is usually $50 for the day, not really worth it just to charge.
Just found out that a Tesla destination charger is six blocks away, $8 for overnight with a Tesla 40A charger.

Last edited:

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the Quick220 is the perfect product for those that rent or can't install outlets
http://www.quick220.com/-A220-15D.html
I have one outlet in my apartment's garage. I can't imagine anyone have two outlets (on opposite legs) when you have your own garage. Maybe if you're in a huge common garage you might be able to use it.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You might be able to run the other plug into a nearby room on another circuit. All depends on your situation.
Of course if you street park, there's not much you can do.

techman

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I stand with you fellow no-home-charger.

Live in a Condo (rental), where there's basically no chance of even getting a 120V. Closest Supercharger is about 15km away. However, there are two within 3km "coming in 2018". No charging options at work either.

Oh and I ordered an AWD :)

ChargePoint

Country
Country
The closest I found moments ago is from a vendor - ChargePoint here https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/hello-from-chargepoint.4384/

I have this installed when I got my other vehicle, a PHEV
Thanks!

There's also another mega-thread in the forum, and although most of those are folks with their own home solutions, you never know what cool tips you may find in the comments!

Also, @djejnyc we do also offer solutions for apartments, condos, and parking structures. Since you're using a nearby parking structure that's not associated with your building (is that correct?), maybe there's a possibility to "join forces" with some of your neighbors to request they install stations within the structure? We offer tons of free, downloadable resources for those decision makers, in case you want to go to them with the facts and benefits of installing stations. Shoot me a private message if I can help link you to anything on the Chargepoint website! No matter which network you choose, providing them with those details is usually helpful during that initial exploration phase. :) - Rochelle

Last edited:

djejnyc

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks!

There's also another mega-thread in the forum, and although most of those are folks with their own home solutions, you never know what cool tips you may find in the comments!

Also, @djejnyc we do also offer solutions for apartments, condos, and parking structures. Since you're using a nearby parking structure that's not associated with your building (is that correct?), maybe there's a possibility to "join forces" with some of your neighbors to request they install stations within the structure? We offer tons of free, downloadable resources for those decision makers, in case you want to go to them with the facts and benefits of installing stations. Shoot me a private message if I can help link you to anything on the Chargepoint website! No matter which network you choose, providing them with those details is usually helpful during that initial exploration phase. :) - Rochelle
Thanks Rochelle, I'll feel it out and reach out when the time comes!

djejnyc

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, the adventure begins! Took delivery of our beautiful black M3 last week. Drove it upstate for about 200 miles (100 miles each way), used a supercharger on the way. Everything is working great so far. At the end of the first week we were down to 60miles of range. So I went to the urban supercharger in Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. It's housed at the William Vale Hotel. They are very used to Tesla charging, it's all done by Valet. Drop the car out front, hand off your key card, they park it and plug it in. I went and had lunch with a friend who lives nearby, got a notification on my phone the car was done, texted the hotel and they brought out front, I paid $6 to the hotel for parking ($12.78 for supercharging to Tesla) and drove off with a full charge! Very painless. The best part is you don't have to worry about idle fees because when you are done charging they just move the car. When I left home the map in the car indicated that all the superchargers were occupied, however when I got there wasn't any issue plugging it in. Whether the in car map was incorrect or they just moved a car to accommodate me I can't say. So far so good!
ALSO, I noticed on the way home that there is a NEW urban supercharger bank of ten(!) behind the Brooklyn Museum, only a few minutes from our apartment. It's not online yet, but when it is it will solve all our problems. The four stall supercharger in Williamsburg (at the William Vale Hotel) is about 25mins away.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, the adventure begins! Took delivery of our beautiful black M3 last week. Drove it upstate for about 200 miles (100 miles each way), used a supercharger on the way. Everything is working great so far. At the end of the first week we were down to 60miles of range. So I went to the urban supercharger in Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. It's housed at the William Vale Hotel. They are very used to Tesla charging, it's all done by Valet. Drop the car out front, hand off your key card, they park it and plug it in. I went and had lunch with a friend who lives nearby, got a notification on my phone the car was done, texted the hotel and they brought out front, I paid $6 to the hotel for parking ($12.78 for supercharging to Tesla) and drove off with a full charge! Very painless. The best part is you don't have to worry about idle fees because when you are done charging they just move the car. When I left home the map in the car indicated that all the superchargers were occupied, however when I got there wasn't any issue plugging it in. Whether the in car map was incorrect or they just moved a car to accommodate me I can't say. So far so good!
ALSO, I noticed on the way home that there is a NEW urban supercharger bank of ten(!) behind the Brooklyn Museum, only a few minutes from our apartment. It's not online yet, but when it is it will solve all our problems. The four stall supercharger in Williamsburg (at the William Vale Hotel) is about 25mins away.
It's upsetting enough when superchargers are located inside paid garages, but a Valet-only supercharger?? Heck no!! I hope there is some warning on the Tesla nav ahead of time.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's upsetting enough when superchargers are located inside paid garages, but a Valet-only supercharger?? Heck no!! I hope there is some warning on the Tesla nav ahead of time.
Yeah, urban superchargers a bit different, so I guess we need to prepare for some different experiences.