No change to front end in Release Candidate?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Someone over at TMC found a picture of the silver alpha prototype that was taken at *almost* the same angle as the release candidate.

I think the top edge of the frontend was lowered just a tad, to soften the look. Otherwise, I think they look pretty much the same.

It still looks to me that a lot of changes were made to the trunk area, but this isn't the best angle for making those comparisons.

Last edited:

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I'm good with the front end as shown at the reveal event. Elon made it sound like they were still in the process of designing he car but they were already pretty much done when they showed the alphas. They really only tweaked a tiny bit of stuff really.

What they showed is what we're going to get.

Daliman

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the edge was lowered about 3 in so it follows a consistent line with the edge under the headlights in the alpha. I think they rounded that edge and the whole bumper which makes the front softer but also longer and sleeker. Hope Im right cause I love what I see.

Jayc

Country
Country
I think someone mentioned front end is going to be like the S and X but this shows that that's not the case. IMO it's better than the S and X.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think someone mentioned front end is going to be like the S and X but this shows that that's not the case. IMO it's better than the S and X.
Many people assumed that Tesla would give all three the same front-end "mustache" treatment. Just as many of us argued that there was no need for it on the 3 (the frunk cut line doesn't go to the front edge like it does on the S/X).

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Many people assumed that Tesla would give all three the same front-end "mustache" treatment. Just as many of us argued that there was no need for it on the 3 (the frunk cut line doesn't go to the front edge like it does on the S/X).
That would be the logical approach. Maybe it aerodynamics too much so they're going to leave it as is? Once we see one in a brighter colour we should hopefully have an answer. If they cover the front with camouflage wrap like Model X then we know something different is going on there

Someone over at TMC found a picture of the silver alpha prototype that was taken at *almost* the same angle as the release candidate.

I think the top edge of the frontend was lowered just a tad, to soften the look. Otherwise, I think they look pretty much the same.

It still looks to me that a lot of changes were made to the trunk area, but this isn't the best angle for making those comparisons.
It looks like the front wheel has been moved forward 3-4". If you drop a line from the intersection of the hood and far side of the windshield, you will see it.

Perhaps to expand the max battery pack, perhaps from 70 to 75 kwh for a 300 mile range.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It looks like the front wheel has been moved forward 3-4". If you drop a line from the intersection of the hood and far side of the windshield, you will see it.

Perhaps to expand the max battery pack, perhaps from 70 to 75 kwh for a 300 mile range.
I agree it seems the wheel base has some changes - or shifted somewhat further forward. I mentioned that back in the video thread.

Country
Country
I see a clear difference in the front end: a creased top edge that is less "guppy" fish face and more rounded forward. Looks like an inset Aston Martin grill without the grill, if you catch my drift. It does seem to look more handsome than the mustache.

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I think that we all need to temper or expectations until we see something other than a black cat in a coal mine taken with a 'potato' camera.
I'm personally OK with the front end whether they change it or not.

RickDeckard

Country
Country
I Love the front end just as it is, and I would rather not have the same front end as Model S and keep these more distinctive and easier to distinguish (which I prefer to having two car models that just look like ones a smaller/bigger version than the other).

I personally can not see a clear difference between the silver alpha photo and this black release candidate as far as front end and wheel base.

Btw in the short acceleration video, i thought I saw some type of computer on the passenger side dash, but thought it was only for testing purposes.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I personally can not see a clear difference between the silver alpha photo and this black release candidate as far as front end and wheel base.
No difference in wheel base.
I do believe that the front end was tweaked slightly. The area in front of the frunk appears to stick out a bit further, and ends a bit lower. The sides of the "mouth" area are therefore made a bit less vertical than on the alphas.

Daliman

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes the passanger in Elons video and in that one have a computer. I assume they are configuring the car in different ways and looking at performance metrics in real time.

RickDeckard

Country
Country
"The sides of the "mouth" area are therefore made a bit less vertical than on the alphas."

It does look as though it could be the case from the top right image, although the reflective surface and contrast of the reflected backgroud makes it more difficult to distinguish the actual shape, imo, if we see a grey/silver release candidate or the same car with different lighting conditions it will be easier to confirm if theres any difference or not.

Last edited: