Nissan starting to offer 'refabricated' batteries for Leaf owners

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
electrek: Nissan starts new program to replace old LEAF battery packs

TLDR:
  • Starts in May in Japan
  • $2850 (converted from yen), + your old battery. I assume that labor is not included in this price.
I'd be tempted to get one at that price (my Leaf is already down 4 bars), if I thought it would last. But Nissan batteries are notoriously terrible when it comes to degradation. Electrek posted a chart of Nissan Leaf battery health, and the newer 30kWh batteries appear to be even worse than the old 24kWh packs.

The x-axis is years. Electrek cut off the bottom part of the chart in this image.
I'm at 6.5 years and 92k miles, and I think I'm closer to 60%.

Here's the study: Accelerated reported battery capacity loss in 30 kWh variants of the Nissan Leaf
Click the "Get PDF" link on the right to view the paper.

Yanquetino

A little over a year ago, Nissan replaced the battery in my 2012 LEAF under warranty. I now think that what they installed was actually one of these "refurbished" packs rather than a new one. When the warranty was first announced, we were told that replacements would need an adaptor bracket that we'd have to pay for, but they didn't install any such bracket in mine, and simply swapped the packs without charging me a dime. Moreover, after nearly 9K miles, the replacement battery has lost 12% capacity, i.e., a more accelerated degradation than with the original pack. Saddest of all is that, rather than finally adding a thermal management system, Nissan has merely tweeked the chemistry, which has produced even worse degradation according to this study. As much as I've loved my LEAF, and would like to show brand loyalty, such a major flaw is unacceptable, and I'll be upgrading to a Model 3 when my invitation to order shows up in my e-mail.

Last edited:

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A little over a year ago, Nissan replaced the battery in my 2012 LEAF under warranty. I now think that what they installed was actually one of these "refurbished" packs rather than a new one. When the warranty was first announced, we were told that replacements would need an adaptor bracket that we'd have to pay for, but they didn't install any such bracket in mine, and simply swapped the packs without charging me a dime. Moreover, after nearly 9K miles, the replacement battery has lost 12% capacity, i.e., a more accelerated degradation than with the original pack. Saddest of all is that, rather than finally adding a thermal management system, Nissan has merely tweeked the chemistry, which has produced even worse degradation according to this study. As much as I've loved my LEAF, and would like to show brand loyalty, such a major flaw is unacceptable, and I'll be upgrading to a Model 3 when my invitation to order shows up in my e-mail.
I’m trading in my 2011 Leaf tomorrow for my Model 3. I toyed with the idea of battery replacement but decided to just trade it in. I called my Nissan dealer 3 times about getting a new battery and no one returned my calls.

Yanquetino

I’m trading in my 2011 Leaf tomorrow for my Model 3. I toyed with the idea of battery replacement but decided to just trade it in. I called my Nissan dealer 3 times about getting a new battery and no one returned my calls.
Are you trading in your LEAF with Tesla? I'd be curious to know how that process works, and what kind of trade-in value they are giving you. When I get my Model 3, I will also need to either trade-it in with Tesla, or sell it myself, or… maybe give it to a grandchild.

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Are you trading in your LEAF with Tesla? I'd be curious to know how that process works, and what kind of trade-in value they are giving you. When I get my Model 3, I will also need to either trade-it in with Tesla, or sell it myself, or… maybe give it to a grandchild.
The process is real easy. Once you have a VIN they open up the portal to allow you to do a trade-in self-evaluation. They text you a link and you fill out the form with the make model, year, mileage, condition, and take pictures of the car from different angles, along with your registration. They then get back to you with an offer. Mine came in a little below mid Blue Book value. I was expecting low Blue Book so I took the offer.

If Nissan had been more responsive, I would have replaced the battery and used it for local errands. But after talking it over with my wife we decided to trade since we didn’t really have room for another car.

Yanquetino

The process is real easy. Once you have a VIN they open up the portal to allow you to do a trade-in self-evaluation. They text you a link and you fill out the form with the make model, year, mileage, condition, and take pictures of the car from different angles, along with your registration. They then get back to you with an offer. Mine came in a little below mid Blue Book value. I was expecting low Blue Book so I took the offer.

If Nissan had been more responsive, I would have replaced the battery and used it for local errands. But after talking it over with my wife we decided to trade since we didn’t really have room for another car.
Thanks so much! This really helps. I would guess that they would estimate that my LEAF SL has at least a similar value: the replaced battery with all 12 bars still, new 12V battery last year, new set of Michelin tires last month, pristine condition. We'll see. I have to wonder about the logistics of trading it in where I live, since I think Tesla has an agreement with CarMax to handle trade-ins…? The nearest one is in Las Vegas, a good 140 miles away. It'll be tricky getting the LEAF there, but I also assume the Las Vegas Tesla store will deliver my Model 3, so maybe I'll be able to arrange the swap at the same time.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think many manufacturers will discover that the software-hardware interaction to make a BEV work really well and last is non-trivial.