Nice picture of the Dual motor chassis

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m posting this here as the explanation is tech related. The new configurator is in the Reserving, Ordering, Production and Delivery thread here:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/new-official-model-3-configurator.106723/#post-2520367

Shows the steel sub frames front and rear in nice detail. Unlike the S and X both motors are mounted between the 2 axles. There is very little weight outside the axles. I can’t say enough about how much this improves handling. You will feel this in everyday driving especially during quick maneuvering and corner turn-in. The one downside is it limited battery case size to between the axles/motors. However I’m more than happy with the range from the current 2170’s in the LR version.

Love the way they left the ‘3’ bars stamped into the center floor pan.

b0547a70-8876-4dae-8c85-54a12135889c-png.5107

Last edited:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Shows the steel sub frames front and rear in nice detail. Unlike the S and X both motors are mounted between the 2 axles. There is very little weight outside the axles. I can’t say enough about how much this improves handling. You will feel this in everyday driving especially during quick maneuvering and corner turn-in. The one downside is it limited battery case size to between the axles/motors. However I’m more than happy with the range from the current 2170’s in the LR version.

Love the way they left the ‘3’ bars stamped into the center floor pan.

View attachment 5107
Wait a minute. This looks like the Performance chassis.
Based on the S/X, the Dual motor uses a smaller rear and smaller front motor. This appears to have the standard rear motor and similarly sized front motor. When this diagram "fell off the truck", did it have any other pictures or explanations with it?

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Based on the S/X, the Dual motor uses a smaller rear and smaller front motor. This appears to have the standard rear motor and similarly sized front motor. When this diagram "fell off the truck", did it have any other pictures or explanations with it?
From the new today online configurator.
Here’s a pic of the single motor. The rear motor looks the same in both.

f85a9e73-a0d8-479f-9d2e-96fa09116249-png.5108

Last edited:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I'm posting in the TMC thread also. I can't select the dual motor option in my configurator and I can't see that chassis diagram. I wonder if Dual Motor is actively being offered to employees now?

Tom Bodera

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Through the new design studio the AWD design leak surfaces. So excited. Apparently this is through code manipulation in html and not available at this time. Does not mean that employees do not have access but not available as a selectable option in the new config.

screen-shot-2018-01-19-at-2-50-13-pm-e1516392935890-jpg.5109

Last edited:

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Coffee break reading online led me to this article on Electrek...

“...see a great image of the dual motor configuration of Tesla’s latest electric vehicle thanks to some code sleuthing by Eaer from /r/teslamotors on the latest update of the design studio...”

dfb4e979-e4de-4a3f-8c85-60a03d16506c-jpeg.5111

Tom Bodera

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
A second motor could mean additional battery heater potential, better range and faster preheat in cold climates. This would mean more advantages than just AWD in the cold. TMC post spec the rear motor at less than 2.5kw of heat from the rear alone compared to the MS's 6kw heat.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
A second motor could mean additional battery heater potential, better range and faster preheat in cold climates. This would mean more advantages than just AWD in the cold. TMC post spec the rear motor at less than 2.5kw of heat from the rear alone compared to the MS's 6kw heat.
Agreed. The 2nd motor may provide some very needed added benefits in cold weather aside from traction.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Keep in mind that the Model S has a dedicated heater for the battery and the 3 uses a different system that just engages the electronics to get some battery heat. Really can't compare the two systems as they are so different. That being said hopefully the dual motor 3 will have better battery heating but nobody will really know until more details are released.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Keep in mind that the Model S has a dedicated heater for the battery and the 3 uses a different system that just engages the electronics to get some battery heat.
The 3 uses the motors themselves to heat up the coolant that's used to warm up the battery. That's why he says that the addition of a second motor will probably provide more heating capability for the battery.

2.5kW of heat from a drivetrain (not motor) is not impressive at all.
I wasn't expecting anything below 5kWo_O
When driving at 200km/h draw is like 100kW. So 5-10kW of losses are expected.
And those losses are sustainable.
I understand that turning rotor has better heat transfer but why not generate half of the heat
inside the inverter. Weird. Maybe they start with safety margins in mind and later crank it up.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Front is left. But the view is from below. V-treads should be pointed in the direction of travel on the top of the wheels. So in this case the outsides of the treads will contact the road first, and pull water into the center...
I believe view is from above. Front strut towers overlie the axles. Plus that little piece of metal overlying the tire is above the tire. Not below or the car couldn’t drive.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe view is from above. Front strut towers overlie the axles. Plus that little piece of metal overlying the tire is above the tire. Not below or the car couldn’t drive.
If from top it is correct. First impression viewed small is from below, and I think that stuck. There is some weird choices of layer opacity in there.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Based on the S/X, the Dual motor uses a smaller rear and smaller front motor. This appears to have the standard rear motor and similarly sized front motor.
I wonder if it's cheaper with the permanent magnet units to put the same rear motor in all the 3's, and just 'cork' the non P AWD cars.

Scuffers

Country
Country
2.5kW of heat from a drivetrain (not motor) is not impressive at all.
I wasn't expecting anything below 5kWo_O
When driving at 200km/h draw is like 100kW. So 5-10kW of losses are expected.
And those losses are sustainable.
I understand that turning rotor has better heat transfer but why not generate half of the heat
inside the inverter. Weird. Maybe they start with safety margins in mind and later crank it up.
I think your looking at two different things here.

Using the inverter/motor as a heater may well be limited to 2.5-3Kw (or whatever the figure is).

this has no link/reference to how much cooling the motor/inverter need at max power (when actually working).

PS. if the inverter/motor loses at 100Kw are in the order of 5%, that's dam impressive.