Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

News from Lucid

10K views 62 replies 17 participants last post by  InElonWeTrust 
#1 ·
#10 ·
Make it bigger, put in more batteries => longer range. Easy. But the efficiency drops because the weight increases.
There is also always a market for ugly cars. People want to own something different than their neighbour.
But it's just a BEV, I think. No Autonomous Drive or even AutoPilot...
No way! But I wish them success. We need as many BEV's as we can get.

#11 · (Edited)
Hmmm... The design seems to be one part Subaru, two parts AUDI...? Not exactly BAD, I'd say. It just looks like it should be badged as 'ARENTAL' for Generic Motors.

I actually used to sort of like the Subaru SVX:

This is a 1996 Subaru Legacy:

And here's the LUCID image I'm comparing them to:

But apparently that was its best angle, as the LUCID AIR Sedan isn't so impressive otherwise:

Idunno. It seems to be sort of running away from itself. Maybe longtime SAAB fans will like it?

#12 ·
Apart from the opinion on the looks of the car, which will always be driven by personal preference (and I'm in a very similar spot as @Red Sage on this - great post #11 BTW!!) I really like this article which immediately dismisses the notion of 'T≡SLA killing', anticipates a response from Elon & friends and highlights the remaining key advantages of the overall T≡SLA offering to the world...! Yes, a new entrant is good and may they all be successful. The future market for BEV will be large enough and composed of enough taste (and budget!!) diversity to make more than a couple of carmakers succesful!!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/lucid-motors-reveals-tesla-killer-160808530.html

#13 ·
Apart from the opinion on the looks of the car, which will always be driven by personal preference (and I'm in a very similar spot as @Red Sage on this - great post #11 BTW!!) I really like this article which immediately dismisses the notion of 'T≡SLA killing', anticipates a response from Elon & friends and highlights the remaining key advantages of the overall T≡SLA offering to the world...! Yes, a new entrant is good and may they all be successful. The future market for BEV will be large enough and composed of enough taste (and budget!!) diversity to make more than a couple of carmakers succesful!!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/lucid-motors-reveals-tesla-killer-160808530.html
Yes. Definitely a good article. Balanced. Gives the good, the bad, and the ugly. Well written. I found the original article after reading it on Yahoo! here:
http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/6528/lucid-motors-reveals-their-tesla-killer-but-is-it-really

Still not my style, but it is just this side of conservative on the interior, and just far enough to the 'different' side on the exterior to allow it to get those 'exclusive' level dollars from people looking for something that isn't in the driveways of 'everybody else' in the neighborhood.

I realized that from that rear quarter view it reminds me of both the Toyota Venza and the original Chrysler Pacifica... Thus, I expect that though they attempted to diminish the effect on the AIR show car, the final version of the car will likely have massive blind spots at the rear.

I really rather despise the presence of the longitudinal dividing wall between left and right sides of the car. I wish designers would find something else to do with that space, instead of presuming everyone needs an analog for a coffee table or ashtray lounge within a car.

The photos that accompany the article do a good job of capturing flattering angles of unique features, without shocking you with the whole design at once. I get the impression the car might have been designed that way too, with a bunch of little pieces made to look good individually, that don't necessarily look quite as good when put together.

It's nice that they opened up the cabin so much, and in the original article it seems no one error corrected the spelling as was done at Yahoo!, where the word FRUNK was changed to TRUNK instead. But it would have been nice to see a photo of the open frunk to accompany the one for the trunk.

The website The DRIVE does have a YouTube channel, so I'll check that out to see if any further content is added in the next few days. Chris Harris used to write and do videos for them, but I think he is currently a sort of roving reporter for 'Top Gear' on BBC television instead now.

#14 ·
#15 ·
When it comes to their brand name, I get them impression that someone wanted to match T-E-S-L-A with a five letter, two syllable word that had two vowels and wasn't likely to offend. Hence, 'LUCID'. I wonder what other options they considered before changing their company name from 'ATIEVA'.

#20 ·
#28 ·
Now that dust has settled a bit on the Faraday Future FF91 reveal (like it seems to have @ their Nevada construction site...), look who's back on the Air?! :p Lucid, of course, with (ex-T≡SLA) Rawlinson taking their prototype on a spin in Vegas around CES... with, again IMHO, assertive references to how 'fast' it is...
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/taking-ride-in-lucid-air-prototype.html?m=1

Now, to the question of how many cancellations T≡SLA might have as a result of this expensive, electrified Subarsaab (;), @Red Sage )? I'm not holding my breath... :D

#32 ·
Agreed. I like the company and the product. They are certainly closer to a real car than FF.

It has crossed my mind though, the only thing they have that really differentiates their car and a model S is the interior.

It wouldn't take much to release a 20k upgrade on a model S (or X) for an 'executive' interior (from the new addition from Volvo) to directly compete with them for 50k cheaper.

Probably the biggest problem Lucid will face is their price. Starting price is likely $180k. Does anyone have that info?

#35 ·
It's hard to speculate reasons for leaving - there could be many.

Generally speaking, when a start-up moves forward towards becoming a mainstream player, especially engineering has to adapt to the changes of streamlined work processes and new structure/boundaries of responsibility which will not be to everyone's liking. Some will find that their role no longer offers the same level of satisfaction as it once did or it no longer offers the opportunities commensurate with their long-term aspirations.

#37 ·
I have to agree with Robert, but sadly it isn't easy to just start a new car company making cheap mass market cars. You need a lot of capital. Lucid and Faraday Futures are trying the 'shown to work' Tesla model of starting with an expensive luxury car, rather than the 'shown to fail' start with a cheap car model. The only other option is the 'start with boatloads of cash' existing industrial mega-company model. Car companies don't want to, for the aforementioned reasons, so we are left with non-car companies. Google and Apple appear to be failing due to no industrial experience. Who's left?

Thank you kindly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.