New York State Tax Credit

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Question for people who have completed their 2018 tax return.

I'm using online software to do my taxes this year (specifically - TaxSlayer).

The electric vehicle credit is listed in the federal section and I was able to input that correctly however I can't figure what has to be filled out to get the state credit (I don't see anything related listed in the the New York State "Credits" section).

Federal Section > Deductions > Credits Menu > Form 8936 - Qualified Electric Motor Vehicle Credit

State Section > ?

Would appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction.

---

For reference:
https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Programs/Programs/Drive-Clean-Rebate/How-it-Works
https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Programs/Programs/Drive-Clean-Rebate

---

Thank you,

oj-m3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A state tax credit for EVs is typically something you need to apply for via mail separate from your income taxes, at least that is the case in my state. Check out your state’s motor vehicle department website for the form download and instructions.

I applied for my Maryland state credit shortly after I got my vehicle in November, but still haven’t received it because the fund that pays out the credit is empty. They are supposed to refill it sometime in mid 2019 so fingers crossed.

Griff

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In New York state the tax credit is issued through the dealer. The amount of the credit is taken off the top of the car you should have received it already. You need to take delivery from a dealer in New York, and is authorized to provide the rebate. If you took delivery of your car out of state you do not qualify for the rebate. As far as I know there's nothing that needs to be done on your taxes.

gary in NY

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Look at your purchase agreement, Number 5, Line C. The rebate, if eligible, was deducted from the purchase price before calculating the amount due from you at delivery.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks guys, I did see it mentioned when I looked over my purchase documents from Tesla but it wasn't clear anywhere that it was deducted from the price... Appreciate the help.