New v10.2 feature: Voice Commands (rebuilt: natural language)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Even after updating to 2019.40.50.5 I still experienced a few failed voice commands where it just hung on the “listening” screen. My initial thought was the upstream servers are overloaded however if that is the case I’m a bit puzzled as to why this problem still isn’t fixed. For a company of Tesla’s size scaling out some app servers shouldn’t be a difficult process especially if they are indeed hosting this themselves.

Sjohnson20

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Even after updating to 2019.40.50.5 I still experienced a few failed voice commands where it just hung on the “listening” screen. My initial thought was the upstream servers are overloaded however if that is the case I’m a bit puzzled as to why this problem still isn’t fixed. For a company of Tesla’s size scaling out some app servers shouldn’t be a difficult process especially if they are indeed hosting this themselves.
Same here. I was hoping the update would fix it. But it seems the same as before.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually they run on AWS which should even make it easier. Not cheap, but easy.

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually they run on AWS which should even make it easier. Not cheap, but easy.
Did you packet trace the car while doing voice commands? I ask because I've heard numerous reports of Elon saying no cloud usage because of his dislike for Bezos :)

Edit - You were right, I should have never doubted you :) For fun I did a packet capture when issuing voice commands and have uploaded the results to dropbox. The most common IP address that the car (172.16.1.219 - which was in park, not streaming, etc) communicated with was 52.32.43.189 which of course belongs to AWS:

1577837422197-png.31543

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you packet trace the car while doing voice commands? I ask because I've heard numerous reports of Elon saying no cloud usage because of his dislike for Bezos :)

Edit - You were right, I should have never doubted you :) For fun I did a packet capture when issuing voice commands and have uploaded the results to dropbox. The most common IP address that the car (172.16.1.219 - which was in park, not streaming, etc) communicated with was 52.32.43.189 which of course belongs to AWS:

View attachment 31543
It is fairly widely known they run at AWS. I had never traced anything personally. Truly the cloud services are typically on the very pricey end. A company the size of Tesla can easily save money by building a private cloud of their own in one of the millions of hosting centers. Don’t be surprised to see that live some day.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Our voice command only works about half the time. There are multiple times when we initiate the microphone, but it doesn't seem to register that we are giving a command. It just sits there and/or gives us suggestions of things we can tell it to do. Anyone else?
Very common.

I think Tesla is still not giving us enough servers to process all the voice commands coming from all the cars.

It'll get better, that I'm sure of.

For now, I just press the button to put the mic screen away and try again after giving it a few seconds.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm amazed that commands are STILL being discovered. We're at 125!

Granted, most submissions these days are duplicates or similar, yet each is considered for the list, and most similar submissions are updating the list, albeit not as a distinct command.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does using voice commands require connectivity? I thought the smarts were in the car.
Hopefully it will be moved to the car in the future. Even when you have a good data connection and the servers are working, the delay in responding to commands can be annoying.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've chosen to remain on 2019.40.2.1 for now. Those require the server, because in the past when I've been without LTE or wi-fi, they haven't worked. And yet I haven't experienced any difficulties with the existing voice commands (navigation and Slacker). Maybe I've just been lucky somehow, but it makes me wonder about the idea that this is just a server issue.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else having an issue with texting "freezing" the infotainment volume? A few times a day when I'm texting, and go back to playing the infotainment, the volume of my programming is frozen. The volume bar will move in response to the slider or the scroll wheel, but nothing will change volume wise. Sometimes it goes away, and I don't know how. Sometimes switching sources will unfreeze it. But a few times I've had to do a rolling reboot to get it to become responsive again.

Super annoying.