New v10.2 feature: Voice Commands (rebuilt: natural language)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While Teslas have had Voice Commands for a while, they were originally quite basic. The new revamped version of Voice Commands first appeared in the release notes for 2019.40.50 (official thread and discussion thread).

Voice Commands
Voice commands have been rebuilt to understand natural language. For this initial release, we focused on commands that minimize having to touch the screen so you can keep your eyes on the road. A few areas and examples of what you can say are:​
Climate: "Set the temperature to 70", "Turn on the passenger seat heater"​
Vehicle: "Adjust my right mirror", "Open the glovebox"​
Navigation: "Let's go to work", "Where are the nearby supercharging stations"​
Media: "Play the Beatles", "Search for Joe Rogan podcast"​
Communication: "Call David Lewis", "Send a text message to Evan"​
Other: "Show me the rear camera", "Open Autopilot settings"​
Anonymized voice commands will be captured to further train and improve the system in future software updates.​

Last edited:

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So far, I'm not able to use this for navigation as before.

I've tried:
"Navigate to"
"Drive to"
"Let's go to"
"Take me to"

Anyone discover how to voice navigate?

UPDATE: without a second reboot... this all started working as expected,

Last edited:

motocoder

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
HUGE regression for me. Maybe one out of 100 voice commands work now. Tried rebooting, power off, nothing helps.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The update makes it a little harder to get “hey Siri” commands to work and instead of automatically having the car ignore and hand off to the phone, the car attempts to figure out what you want before it gives up.
It will work if saying “hey Siri” then waiting for the phone screen to register the command before continuing with the shortcut command
(I have a few Siri shortcut routines that I generally use in the car that are not “call someone” or “text someone” types of things)

Napalian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
HUGE regression for me. Maybe one out of 100 voice commands work now. Tried rebooting, power off, nothing helps.
Same here. Most voice commands are ignored. Even calling a contact now rarely works. When it does it follows a long delay. Tried rebooting, still no worky. Will wait a day and see if that helps.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sounds like it's 100x faster to move the slider
Potentially, but the benefit of voice is your eyes never leave the road. While it may take a few extra seconds, it's not additional effort (it's "processing seconds").

Same here. Most voice commands are ignored. Even calling a contact now rarely works. When it does it follows a long delay. Tried rebooting, still no worky. Will wait a day and see if that helps.
Word is Tesla's servers crashed yesterday. With this update the utilization of voice commands probably increased ten fold and they couldn't handle the processing.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I find some of the things are pretty accurate, but the problem I am finding is the response time to receive the voice input IN is very latent and one has to repeat more than once, or repeat the process more than once or purposely speak with conviction and a high level of diction to get it to listen, consume and resolve the voice to text. Then it works fairly okay.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I find some of the things are pretty accurate, but the problem I am finding is the response time to receive the voice input IN is very latent and one has to repeat more than once, or repeat the process more than once or purposely speak with conviction and a high level of diction to get it to listen, consume and resolve the voice to text. Then it works fairly okay.
I would anticipate that’s going to be temporary and once Tesla resolves the infrastructure challenges this will stabilize.