New v10.2 feature: Phone Improvements (text message reading & responding)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

jsmay311

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
One thing I'm trying to figure out...

After you dictate a text, the car displays its interpretation of what you said on the screen, and then you either press the right scroll wheel button or tap the screen to send it.

But what if the car mangles the voice-to-text and you want to cancel rather than send a nonsense text? I couldn't figure out any way to do this. I tried tapping the "circle arrows" / refresh icon in the bottom-right corner of the card, thinking that this would let me start over and dictate the message again from scratch, but instead it just sent the (misinterpreted) text. :confused:

(Here's the icon I'm referring to. I took this screengrab from a random youtube video, so disregard the message shown.)
1577246777764-png.31378

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah yes, the old privacy vs convenience... Super cool would be a "privacy mode" where if it detects someone sitting in any other seat in the car, the messages would not be displayed on the screen. Maybe an envelope icon appears somewhere. And before everyone jumps down my virtual throat who doesn't want this... make it an option so 'privacy mode' can be turned on/off

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have to say I am totally thrilled to get this, and the added dictation response is a total surprise.
Message display had been one feature the wife had been complaining missing when comparing to other cars, and it one update Tesla not only added display but speech and everything is so nicely done, instantly making the other cars' implementation seem kludgy. This is what is so awesome about these cars.
Before we left for a drive to family today I made sure she sat and read the release notes and set up and tested it :)
Thanks for the Christmas gift, Tesla!

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have to say I am totally thrilled to get this, and the added dictation response is a total surprise.
Message display had been one feature the wife had been complaining missing when comparing to other cars, and it one update Tesla not only added display but speech and everything is so nicely done, instantly making the other cars' implementation seem kludgy. This is what is so awesome about these cars.
Before we left for a drive to family today I made sure she sat and read the release notes and set up and tested it :)
Thanks for the Christmas gift, Tesla!
Agree, nicely executed too, but I haven't tried to reply yet.

R H

Country
Country
i have an iphone 8. i enabled sharing messages with tesla over bluetooth. i’m receiving texts fine but i can’t send them. It’s understanding my speech and it says to tap here to send but when i do nothing happens. if i click the right scroll wheel still nothing happens. if i click the refresh part of the card it lets me dictate the message again, but i still can’t send it. i tried rebooting but it still won’t work. any ideas?

StromTrooperM3

Country
Country
Super cool would be a "privacy mode" where if it detects someone sitting in any other seat in the car, the messages would not be displayed on the screen.
100% agree with this. Definitely needs to be a feature for when driving co workers to lunch 🤷🏽‍♂️

jsmay311

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ah yes, the old privacy vs convenience... Super cool would be a "privacy mode" where if it detects someone sitting in any other seat in the car, the messages would not be displayed on the screen. Maybe an envelope icon appears somewhere. And before everyone jumps down my virtual throat who doesn't want this... make it an option so 'privacy mode' can be turned on/off
100% agree with this. Definitely needs to be a feature for when driving co workers to lunch 🤷🏽‍♂️
I'm confused. I'm pretty sure when a message is received, all that is shown on the screen at first is the name of the sender. If you subsequently want to have the message displayed on the screen and read out loud by the car, you have to tap on the screen or press the right scroll wheel button. Right?

jsmay311

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'm pretty sure when a message is received, all that is shown on the screen at first is the name of the sender.
That is correct. However if I have passengers I'd prefer to have the option of no message notification at all
Ah, gotcha. (Is this for a wife / gf situation? ;) J/k. :p )

Well, you could at least turn off the chime in the Bluetooth settings. Without any associated sound, the card popping up on the screen will draw less attention.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah, gotcha. (Is this for a wife / gf situation? ;) J/k. :p )

Well, you could at least turn off the chime in the Bluetooth settings. Without any associated sound, the card popping up on the screen will draw less attention.
Or maybe just don’t do things that require hiding them from those riding in your car 🤔

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are certainly legitimate cases where the identity of those texting (or even the number) shouldn't be displayed to passengers. This is true of lots of people who have multiple clients. Imagine, for example, an agent for a writer or actor. She might well be taking a producer or editor to lunch somewhere to pitch their client. You really, really don't want texts from other producers/editors showing up on your screen at that point!

Or imagine Elon taking a reporter for a ride in one of his Teslas, as he sometimes does. Imagine the trouble that could come from a reporter seeing a text from a potential new business partner before Tesla is ready to release that information...

jsmay311

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I have an iPhone. When Tesla's text message capability first got rolled out, outgoing voice-to-text messages that I dictated through the car/screen were sent as iMessages. (I.e., sent via data as opposed to SMS.) But I just noticed today that dictated messages were being sent as SMS instead. (In a text convo with another iPhone user, voice-to-text messages through the car went out via SMS while all other messages went out as iMessages.)

I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this? Is this maybe something that changed with a recent software update? (I recently updated to 2020.4.1.) Or is it just a fluke occurrence with me and my phone only?

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this? Is this maybe something that changed with a recent software update? (I recently updated to 2020.4.1.) Or is it just a fluke occurrence with me and my phone only?
I just looked back at a voice text reply I sent shortly after upgrading to 2020.4.1 and it was sent as an iMessage. Perhaps you or the other iPhone simply lost coverage briefly?