New v10.2 feature: Phone Improvements (text message reading & responding)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Phone Improvements first appeared in the release notes for 2019.40.50 (official thread and discussion thread).

Phone Improvements
You can now read and respond to text messages using your right scroll wheel button. When a new message is received press the right scroll wheel button to have your text message read out loud and press again to respond by speaking out loud. You will also be able to view messages as they come in via the "Cards" section of the touchscreen.​
To view messages that have been received while your phone is connected via Bluetooth, tap the Application Laucher > Call > Messages. You can read and reply to a message by tapping an entry in the Messages list. To enable this feature, tap the Bluetooth icon on the top of the display, and enable "Sync Messages". Once enabled you can also choose to play a chime whenever a new text message is received by enabling "Chime on New Message".​
Additionally, if you have favorite phone contacts on your device, you can now easily access them from the Favorites tab of the Phone app.​
Note: Notifications need to be enabled on your device from the phone's Bluetooth settings to send and receive text messages. Due to the limitations of Bluetooth support from your device, you will not be able to send group messages. As usual, Bluetooth behavior may depend on make and model of your device.​

Last edited:

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Confirmed: available on HW2.5 cars.

Also confirmed, you can sometimes get it reading back HTML to you. So far, a friend of mine texted me from an Android device (One Plus 7 Pro) and most of what I heard was HTML text along with his text. My phone is a Pixel 4, so maybe the issue is there, not sure yet.

Last edited:

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Elon tweeted this preview would only be for HW3. Do we think we'll see at least this feature for hw2.5?
That's just the traffic visualization "preview". (which is pretty bogus and certainly falls short of "feature complete" IMO). The other features definitely do not need HW3 to run.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is a text example, it displays it and reads it. If you want to reply you have to be fast because it disappears in about 10 seconds, I was in park in my garage but if I was driving I think I would need more time to tap the screen.
From the Call app, you can now select "Messages" to see all previous messages and replay them

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From the Call app, you can now select "Messages" to see all previous messages and replay them
I know, but that requires 4 screen taps, wouldn't it be better to just leave the last text up on the screen for 60 seconds, giving you time to respond without taking your hands off the wheel and eyes off the road? If you don't respond in 10 seconds, you will have to do the following:
1- tap app launcher
2- tap call
3- Tap messages
4- Select message

StromTrooperM3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
That's just the traffic visualization "preview". (which is pretty bogus and certainly falls short of "feature complete" IMO).
100% agree the visualization is a bogus delivery. They knew they messed up again with the timing and tried to play misdirection with the acceleration boost and stupid piano mode.

Glad I'll at least get this. However I hope it's easy to toggle on and off if you have passengers, Co worker's, etc in the car

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know, but that requires 4 screen taps, wouldn't it be better to just leave the last text up on the screen for 60 seconds, giving you time to respond without taking your hands off the wheel and eyes off the road? If you don't respond in 10 seconds, you will have to do the following:
1- tap app launcher
2- tap call
3- Tap messages
4- Select message
Or maybe you can open it with voice commands?

RichEV

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
1- tap app launcher
2- tap call
3- Tap messages
4- Select message
or maybe say something like: "view/open messages"?

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
100% agree the visualization is a bogus delivery. They knew they messed up again with the timing and tried to play misdirection with the acceleration boost and stupid piano mode.

Glad I'll at least get this. However I hope it's easy to toggle on and off if you have passengers, Co worker's, etc in the car
Why do you want to toggle it off? EDIT: Oops. I didn't read carefully enough. I thought you wanted to toggle the visualizations off. Toggling the texts off makes sense!

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After a solid day of use, I find the texting feature to be absolutely excellent. One thing my wife mentioned is that if she texts me something and I have the kids in the car its concerning that the message will be read with no way to stop it, but you can counter act that by reading the message from the Message tab under Phone. All in all very happy!!