Product Review New Tires - Model X

TesLou

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
My OEM Conti tires were due for a replacement so I started hunting for new ones. ~$1400 seemed a bit high to me for tires so I did research over the course of a couple of weeks and ended up purchasing Nexen Roadian GTX tires. These are relatively new tires from Nexan and only cost me $571 (including tax) for 4 tires. I had them installed last week and took a 400 mile roadtrip the very next day. I was VERY impressed with the grip, ride, and quietness of these. It was a misty and windy day so I can’t speak about the efficiency but they are supposedly very good in this department. Got them from CWO Tires and Wheels (through eBay, where you can get a better deal by buying them in pairs). 70,000 mile tires, but we’ll have to wait and see about that. I’ll update this thread over the life of the tires to let you know how they’re holding up.

Reactions: Bigriver

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For EV tires, efficiency is the big selling point. A standard tire can significantly cut into your range.

The things that you were impressed with are quite often all the features of an inefficient tire.
Low rolling resistance, aka hard tire is what increases the efficiency.

But let us know what the real world range looks like!

TesLou

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
For EV tires, efficiency is the big selling point. A standard tire can significantly cut into your range.

The things that you were impressed with are quite often all the features of an inefficient tire.

Will do. I’ve got a longer trip coming up next week from which I’ve documented many wh/mi totals. I should get a good read on the tires at that time. Stay tuned...

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have a set of Nexen WinGuard Sport tires for my winter driving setup. They've been decent.

ACtC-3dmjWlOta1ulFY9LOl8qanx6WW7f0GNjlqTA7kkp70KTvdSqrW3rZwBKHOJEY5_kO1s-r7qdV5AdCmJLPJJqjJ2yj8dmbWsjOIrFvbCJ-QM666VKGTheNmsTnoqOsH44QCbNnjs1b6dIVyNVp8srZbMwQ=w2048-h820-no

Reactions: TesLou

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Ed, who cares about efficiency? I seem to recall a months-old discussion about efficiency vs a happy meal?

TesLou

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I have a set of Nexen WinGuard Sport tires for my winter driving setup. They've been decent.

ACtC-3dmjWlOta1ulFY9LOl8qanx6WW7f0GNjlqTA7kkp70KTvdSqrW3rZwBKHOJEY5_kO1s-r7qdV5AdCmJLPJJqjJ2yj8dmbWsjOIrFvbCJ-QM666VKGTheNmsTnoqOsH44QCbNnjs1b6dIVyNVp8srZbMwQ=w2048-h820-no
You get a fair amount of snow there in Pittsburgh. How are the WinGuards in foul weather?

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You get a fair amount of snow there in Pittsburgh. How are the WinGuards in foul weather?
They are Winter Performance tires, instead of snow tires. They do very well on wet or dry roads in the cold - much better at cornering and braking than a snow tire. In snow, they perform better than all-season tires, but not quite as good as a pure snow tire.

That said, I haven't had any problems getting around on snow-covered roads with them. :)

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ed, who cares about efficiency? I seem to recall a months-old discussion about efficiency vs a happy meal?
Just bringing it up as a point. 2% wouldn't probably be a big issue. But 25% could be a big issue. (Not that a tire would be that bad)

But it's definitely a differential between an ICE and EV tires.

StanMI

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
TesLou.......just wondering how the y held up so far. 25,000 miles here so getting closer to a need.

TesLou

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
TesLou.......just wondering how the y held up so far. 25,000 miles here so getting closer to a need.
The Nexen Roadian GTXs are holding up really well. I’ve got about 12,500 miles on them and measured today to find the fronts still at 8/32. The rears are at 7.5/32. They handle very well, are quiet, and handle rain (and snow) excellently. I highly recommend.

Reactions: StanMI

Andy96734

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Switched from OEM Contis to Pirelli, Scorp Zero AS just month ago—better, handling, ride, and quiet. When changing them out Tire Center Mgr joked that Tesla is great for Tire sales as Teslas go through tires faster than a kid getting a gum eraser for the first time. ”They just chew through the Conti tires.”