New Tesla? BEFORE YOU BUY A TIRE

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you know that your tires may have come with a factory OEM warranty from Michelin? I sure didn't, but it just saved me $400 bucks!

Last Saturday I got a nail in my tire. It was a slow enough leak that I drove it to Discount tire. It was non-repairable because it was too close to the side wall. Unfortunately they couldn't get the OEM replacement tire for several days.

That OEM replacement tire for the Model 3 Performance, BTW, is:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S AC (Acoustic Edition), 235/35-20 92Y
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-pilot-sport-4s-ac/p/37541
Since it was going to take Discount several days, I decided to drive over to the Tesla service center.

Tesla was more than happy to replace my tire that same day, but it was going to cost me $418 parts and labor and NO WARRANTY!

I checked Discount Tire online and I could get it for $400 (parts + labor) with warranty. So I went ahead and order it with Discount and left the service center.

When I arrived at Discount today an employee told me that Michelin warranties the tire from the factory. But ONLY in the following conditions:
  1. It has to be the new OEM tire that came on the car.
  2. It has to have less than 2/32 of an inch tread depth of loss. (Also called NDS I believe)
Discount has a tread depth measurement tool and they can check your tire. These particular tires come with 9/32 tread, so you tire can be as low as 7/32 and still be replaced under warranty.

I have 4,000 miles on my car and most of my tires are down to 8/32. But the tire that had the nail must have been driven for a bit low because it was already down to 7/32. I barely made it in time.

So, in short, if your car is less than around 5,000 miles and you get a non-repairable tire puncture, you may be covered under warranty. But Tesla won't tell you this, and depending on who you get at Discount tire they may not know about it either. Be sure to ask!

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@eXntrc, I'm not sure your experience is replicable, but I'm glad you were comped! At any rate, it's worth a shot.

"WHAT IS NOT COVERED This warranty does not cover tires damaged due to misuse, abuse or accident such as: – Road hazards (e.g., cuts, snags, bruises, impact damage or punctures); ...."
https://www.michelinman.com/upload/michelin_us/editor/file/MX Replacement Owner's Manual Warranty MDW41156 REV 12-17.pdf
Also:
"All MICHELIN passenger and light truck replacement tires are covered by a limited mileage warranty. Original Equipment tires starting with 2018 model year vehicles are excluded from mileage warranty coverage."
https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/warranty.html

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well that's a bummer @Dr. J . I was really hoping I'd found something valuable to share here. Maybe my Discount Tire employee did something for me that he wasn't really supposed to do.

At the very least, if you find yourself in the same situation I would at least ask. Worst they can do is just say no.

BTW, I ended up buying certificates for all 4 tires. These certificates will fully replace the tires (not prorated) for the life of the tire (as long as they have enough tread to pass inspection). It cost $250 to fully cover all 4 tires. Considering these tires cost $400 a piece, it felt worth it to me.