New Seats?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That should help. Even with a two-inch lift, I bet that rear seat is still too low for adults to really be comfortable in back.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I took delivery today, VIN 230xx so assuming the new rear seat. It is really not great for adults and for kids just out of a booster the seat is a bit long for their little legs. Most cars tilt the rear seats more so that adult legs are supported. But whatever, I won't be riding back there. The grandparents or whoever will have to deal.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Looks like it might be a bit more comfortable but I wonder how much “flatness” is sacrificed when the backs are folded. My bass just fits through and I know it’s tight for bicycles and campers.

I would’ve loved to have seen a thigh support adjuster like the front seats rather than a one-size-fits-all correction which may not be either. In fact, I was thinking about exploring the possibility of an aftermarket adjustable insert under the cushion.

Spiffywerks

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
View attachment 9528 View attachment 9527 Here are two pics of new vs old from the same angle. Would have really loved to have gotten the new ones.
Seat build quality definitely looks better on the newer version (top pic). The seams are much tighter. This must had been when Elon was spending his nights in the plant making things better. People do a better job when the boss is looking over your shoulder. Lol

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Looks like it might be a bit more comfortable but I wonder how much “flatness” is sacrificed when the backs are folded. My bass just fits through and I know it’s tight for bicycles and campers.

I would’ve loved to have seen a thigh support adjuster like the front seats rather than a one-size-fits-all correction which may not be either. In fact, I was thinking about exploring the possibility of an aftermarket adjustable insert under the cushion.
I did notice that when the new rear seats are folded that they aren’t flat, they are angled up at the front.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I did notice that when the new rear seats are folded that they aren’t flat, they are angled up at the front.
Figured as much, based on the pictures. The real question, for me and those like me anyway, is how much of a difference does it make to the effective pass through height when accounting for long/tall objects which must clear the trunk lip but squeeze under the hat shelf structure?

Since my first test of a Gen 1 seat in a showroom failed to allow pass through which I was later able to achieve in my own vehicle, I'm not sure I'll ever know for sure unless I get a chance to test it in real world conditions and am willing to push through the pain. Guess, since I don't carry too many passengers, there's no reason for me to pay for a Gen 2 upgrade so it will only matter if I get a new one down the road or there's some kind of safety recall.

Hope they work this stuff out to maximize the utility as well as comfort - an adjustable seat cushion would be perfect, even if it's just part of the PUP but, if it does have an impact on child/infant seats, maybe CR will make a stink and it'll happen for all.

r winch

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A tiny bit off topic, but can anyone tell me if the passenger seat has a lumbar adjustment? #stillwaitingformyemail

Spiffywerks

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Buena Park, CA has a Model 3 in the showroom now. VIN 22xxx.

It has the new types of seats. I'm a bit envious.

Version 2 seats overall are much softer than Version 1. The butt meter says they feel better too. Version 1 are sportier/stiffer, Version 2 are a bit more refined and you feel like you sink into them a little - more like my older Dodge Charger SRT seats (best seats eva!).

The thicker rear bench is nicer. If there is a way to upgrade just the bench, that's what I'd like to do. Everything else I can live with.

I dropped off my car and I got a Model S for a loaner - base model with standard seats (leatherette skirts, material center). I like the Model 3 seats better by far. But this is coming from a 6'3" 250lb guy. The Model S seats feel shorter than the Model 3's, the headrest goes into the back of my neck between my shoulders which is really annoying. The big side bolsters are nice, wish the Model 3 had them.

Overall, Version 2 seats are very nice. And seeing them in person, the build quality has improved greatly in these new versions. Good things come to those who wait. If you have Version 1, don't cry... too much.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Version 2 are a bit more refined and you feel like you sink into them a little - more like my older Dodge Charger SRT seats (best seats eva!).

The thicker rear bench is nicer. If there is a way to upgrade just the bench, that's what I'd like to do. Everything else I can live with.

I like the Model 3 seats better by far. But this is coming from a 6'3" 250lb guy.
My Man! ;)

A Hemi owner (Mines a 15' 300S until next month) and I'm 6' 2 about 220LBS... always interested to hear what similar owners think of the 3.

Happy to know the Gen2 seats are "Big Guy" approved...I'm looking forward to them!

A little off topic, but how would you compare the SRT and model 3 size and performance wise?

Based off my 300, the model 3 has actually more head and leg room, little less in the rear and about the same cargo space overall, although split between frunk and trunk.

0-60 is probably close and 30-50 or 50-70 should be quicker in the 3... less body roll I'm sure in the corners too. And that's before talking about fueling costs haha $55-60 vs $8-10.

Spiffywerks

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My Man! ;)

A Hemi owner (Mines a 15' 300S until next month) and I'm 6' 2 about 220LBS... always interested to hear what similar owners think of the 3.

Happy to know the Gen2 seats are "Big Guy" approved...I'm looking forward to them!

A little off topic, but how would you compare the SRT and model 3 size and performance wise?

Based off my 300, the model 3 has actually more head and leg room, little less in the rear and about the same cargo space overall, although split between frunk and trunk.

0-60 is probably close and 30-50 or 50-70 should be quicker in the 3... less body roll I'm sure in the corners too. And that's before talking about fueling costs haha $55-60 vs $8-10.
2006 Charger R/T with Road & Track Package (essentially SRT interior with some additional bonuses). I changed the front bumper and hood to SRT and performance mods to bring it to around 400+HP. It was nearly as fast as an SRT.

Comparing the M3, the M3 is quicker, lighter and nimble. But the Charger is no slouch, just makes a lot more noise getting to 60. :) I had Tien Coilvers with Electronic Dampening, Hotchiks Sway Bars, Urethane Busings, SPC control arms with adjustable camber, 22" Forged rims, etc. it was a lead sled, but it could take corners like no joke. Did things in that car that no 5,200 lb car should do lol, but it was fun. Ended when I overheated after some really hard driving and my radiator failing. $1,200 in parts (heads, rad, water pump, gaskets, etc) and a couple days working on it in the garage, got it running again and sold it.

@gravityrydr

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When my car was in for service (replaced LTE module) I asked when my car was manufactured, 4-28-2018 at 10:15 am. I have the new seats. Has anyone noticed that the driver's seat is slightly narrower than the front passenger seat? I noticed it when giving test rides. I asked the service tech when handing my car over saying "Sorry to be that guy that complains about the small stuff but am I crazy? is the seat narrower?" He said it was a known issue. Weird.