New Seats?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I’m not sure if it’s an optical illusion, but the center armrest/console looks longer in the 2nd gen seat picture. The seat backs seem to be at roughly the same spot compared to the door opening but the center storage unit is clearly not at the same place. Looks like we need some more comparison pics/measurements!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m not sure if it’s an optical illusion, but the center armrest/console looks longer in the 2nd gen seat picture. The seat backs seem to be at roughly the same spot compared to the door opening but the center storage unit is clearly not at the same place. Looks like we need some more comparison pics/measurements!
I think it is an optical illusion. If you look at the seat controllers and the door sill trim, the seat in the V1 pix is quite a ways further back than the seat in the V2 pix.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I think it is an optical illusion. If you look at the seat controllers and the door sill trim, the seat in the V1 pix is quite a ways further back than the seat in the V2 pix.
I see what you’re saying. Now using the line on the door trim as a reference and the seat control levers you can clearly see the seats aren’t in the same position. That’s a relief!

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Mine is 17,9xx and came with gen 2 seats.
Yes, I was hoping @slasher016 would reply to see if his vin is before mine. Since he has Gen 1 seats maybe we can narrow down the VIN range of when they changed the line. I'm pretty sure my car was done right after the factory shutdown, maybe that is when the new seats started.

slasher016

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes, I was hoping @slasher016 would reply to see if his vin is before mine. Since he has Gen 1 seats maybe we can narrow down the VIN range of when they changed the line. I'm pretty sure my car was done right after the factory shutdown, maybe that is when the new seats started.
I thought I did, I have Gen 1 and my VIN is 1759x.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I thought I did, I have Gen 1 and my VIN is 1759x.
Okay, so now this gets a little more interesting, your VIN is after mine but you have the older seats. They don't make them in VIN order though, do you know the exact date your car was made? Possibly before the factory shutdown for a week? I'm going to try to find out what day mine was made when I call Tesla tomorrow, I'll update here if I get an answer.

slasher016

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Okay, so now this gets a little more interesting, your VIN is after mine but you have the older seats. They don't make them in VIN order though, do you know the exact date your car was made? Possibly before the factory shutdown for a week? I'm going to try to find out what day mine was made when I call Tesla tomorrow, I'll update here if I get an answer.
Nope.. mine says 4/18, that's all I know.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In this case the VIN will not tell the story. the key is the manufacturer date, not just month/Year but the actual day the car completed the manufacturing process.

From the information in this thread, I would say that this change must have taken place for cars that left the assembly line sometime in early April probably between April 1 and April 10.

Mine has Gen 2 seats and I definitely know that it exited the assembly line on April 10. We have seen reports of others here with Gen 1 seats that were manufactured April 2018 (no specific day).

BTW Tesla can tell you the exact date (Mo/Day/Yr) that your car completed manufacturing, I am not saying that they want to but this information is easy available to them.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Was at Rocklin CA. Dealership yesterday, their floor model 3 has Gen. 2 driver seat, with Gen 1 passenger and rear bench seating! VIN in 7000 range.
maybe before it went to the store, it was a prototype for the new seat(s).
did you try out the feel between the driver (v2) and passenger (v1) and notice any comfort/support differences? it may be the change was simply provided a better material efficiency or easier to sew/assemble.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Was at Rocklin CA. Dealership yesterday, their floor model 3 has Gen. 2 driver seat, with Gen 1 passenger and rear bench seating! VIN in 7000 range.
Very interesting, but I'm hoping and thinking that the cars we hear of rejected from shipping or other defects are actually being sent out to be showroom cars or loaners at the SC's. Guess I could see them replacing just one seat or it being a trial car for new seat fitment and they just left it. Better than scraping the car.