New Renault ZOE 40kwh battery

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Filmed around the spots where I usually go for a surf on the weekend.
Serves as a Tourism article too.

I don't understand this argument about charging slower when the source is coal, and faster when the source is renewables.
Energy is energy, regardless of the rate that it goes into the battery, the same amount of coal is used either way. I know that someone, probably @garsh will chime in with "well you have neglected the added losses from charging fast", but really these numbers are down in the weeds and not all that significant.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know that someone, probably @garsh will chime in with "well you have neglected the added losses from charging fast"
Actually, at least with the Leaf, everything I've read says that charging slower is less efficient, because you're powering the charger electronics for longer, and they have losses.

Last edited:

Gilberto Pe-Curto

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I don't understand this argument about charging slower when the source is coal, and faster when the source is renewables.
Energy is energy, regardless of the rate that it goes into the battery, the same amount of coal is used either way. I know that someone, probably @garsh will chime in with "well you have neglected the added losses from charging fast", but really these numbers are down in the weeds and not all that significant.
That was related to SmartGrids.
What I understood from that was that the car will be intelligent enough to be connected to the power grid and will pull more juice from the grid at hours that are known to be more clean... like when the wind is blowing strong here in Portugal, and when the energy is less clean, it will charge slower to reduce the impact on the energy production, thus CO2 and pollution.
As far as I've heard the power plants, like coal and gas, and oil, are not always running.
They are turned on and off depending on the power that is needed at any given time. Hence the argument.

Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The idea is that the presence of fossil fuel power on the grid is evidence that the electricity isn't "clean and cheap", and that means that demand must be high. (Portugal goes days on nothing but renewables). So during those times, charging slower means not only more time for the mix to change, but also not contributing to peak load (which is usually very expensive, and very not clean). Contrariwise, when the grid is mostly renewables, that means the power is not only cheap, and clean, but also in surplus, so charge fast so it isn't wasted.

Thank you kindly.

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The idea is that the presence of fossil fuel power on the grid is evidence that the electricity isn't "clean and cheap", and that means that demand must be high. (Portugal goes days on nothing but renewables). So during those times, charging slower means not only more time for the mix to change, but also not contributing to peak load (which is usually very expensive, and very not clean). Contrariwise, when the grid is mostly renewables, that means the power is not only cheap, and clean, but also in surplus, so charge fast so it isn't wasted.

Thank you kindly.
I said that I didn't understand the argument. This is not an assertion that it is wrong. Got it?

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I said that I didn't understand the argument. This is not an assertion that it is wrong. Got it?
I was trying to explain it. If you want to claim to be unable to understand it, I will stop.

Thank you kindly.
This is where I sometimes wish we could talk to eachother via phone, or, even better, chat it over, over a beer or a glass of wine... :D

Gilberto Pe-Curto

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
ahahhaha that is green grape wine.
Good for summer.
I can give you other better references. but maybe you won't find them abroad

[Removed after reading the Blog rules]
PM me for info on this
:)

Last edited:

Pascal Hureau

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We took the decision on January 2017 to replace our very old Renault 5 GT Turbo by a brand new ZOE ZE40 as a second car for short trips around and within Paris. The trigger has been new rules to enter Paris with ICE cars, forbidding the old Renault ! Now I can tell you, after more than 6 months usage, that the ZOE is a great car. It has more than 300 km range, very good reliability and a more than correct level of comfort. The only limitations are the storage volume - it's a small car - and the 500 km long range I am expecting from the model 3 is more appropriate when we drive away on long distances.