New phone mount for 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

radlaw

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Why mount it anywhere? I leave mine in the charger. If call comes in, car answers it. If text comes in car answers it. What else do you need the phone for while driving?? You don't need navigation; car has it. You don't need radio; car has it. I'm sure you're not doing anything else with the phone while driving. Those car mounts are awkward.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Why mount it anywhere? I leave mine in the charger. If call comes in, car answers it. If text comes in car answers it. What else do you need the phone for while driving?? You don't need navigation; car has it. You don't need radio; car has it. I'm sure you're not doing anything else with the phone while driving. Those car mounts are awkward.
Controlling phone music from the car sucks. It’s literally just play/pause/rewind/forward. Can’t change playlists/albums unless you go through the phone. And text messages are hit or miss. I don’t always get them and the 3 seems to disable that option randomly.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Why mount it anywhere? I leave mine in the charger. If call comes in, car answers it. If text comes in car answers it. What else do you need the phone for while driving??
Already answered in this thread:
I like having either Waze or Google Maps running navigation as a backup along with Tesla Navigation. Right now, I just leave my phone on the tray, but it would be nice to have it in a more visible location. Each app has various strengths and weaknesses - I wish I could combine them all into one.

Tesla
  • Shows expected battery capacity at destination.
  • Provides warnings to slow down if you're cutting it close.
  • Can (sometimes) warn if the supercharger you're planning to stop at is not working.
Google Maps (my choice for commuting & local driving)
  • Much better traffic visualization. With Tesla's, I sometimes can't tell if there's traffic on my route, or on the local road that parallels the interstate.
  • Also appears to get traffic updates a bit more quickly.
  • Continuously shows and updates up to two alternate routes.
Waze (my choice for road trips)
  • Speed traps
  • Bad pothole and road debris warnings.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
personally I use the center console with a Nomad centre charger installed.

But @garsh sticking a console mount to the back of the M3 screen is inspired. I had a mount (may still have it) for a mini tablet that uses a suction attachment. I bet I could use that to double up the screens in the M3 :)

but seriously, if i were to mount the phone up instead of in the charger I would want it to one side and you solved that nicely.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I won't lie, I cringed when seeing the first post in this thread. I've seen too many people here in Orlando driving with their phone stuffed into the top part of the steering wheel so they can watch movies or TV while driving. The last one I saw was in a traffic jam, someone was clearly watching Steve Harvey. That's what I think of when I see a mount right behind the steering wheel - that someone put it there so they can watch streaming video. I certainly hope that's not the case in this thread.

By the way, it is kind of fun at night to drive up behind someone watching TV in their steering wheel and flash the brights a couple of times. They sometimes panic and drop the phone on the floor. Even if they don't, it's funny watching them fumble with it trying to get it out of the steering wheel.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you DRIVE your car, the suction cup mount will fly off mid turn. Happened to me twice, now put in the trash heap. The ProClip is good, but a bad location. I have been using this mount and it is the best so far IMO, stays put in high G turns and is easy to access: Linky

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My behind-the-screen mount has been going strong for two years, with plenty of spirited driving and hard pothole hits. Perfect spot for Waze, you're already glancing there for speed.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
They have a cheaper one that doesnt have a wireless charger. It's 29$. I am wondering if I should do that or @JWardell version.
That's great! Plus you get a little storage box behind the screen. I can imagine attaching more creative gauges to it as well.