New phone mount for 3

Drhalo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all, I've been pleading with the folks at proclip to design and release a mount for the model 3 that will give us a mounting option other than the cup holder area.
They have been working hard at getting one built and have sent me the version that's in production.
I'm a huge fan of their mounts and have gotten them for every car I've owned.
Curious what your thoughts are on this one.
No tools are required, it clips behind the steering wheel. The bracket is separate from the phone holster itself allowing you to use whatever holder you want provided it can be mounted with 4 screws.

My phone is still partially obstructed by the wheel but I'm hoping the folks at proclip can tweak the design by lowering the mounting point by about a 1/4 inch.

Attachments

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it hard to reach the phone if you move that mount to the area between steering wheel and the center screen?

Drhalo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would say you don't want to be messing with the phone in this location. If you put a magnetic mount on the bracket it would be easy enough to grab the phone.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of my favorite features of the Model 3 is having nothing behind the steering wheel. I actually really like having my phone down and out of the way. Personally I see no need to have the phone mounted anywhere in your line of sight today and especially with v10. V10 brings SMS capability to the car and in the meantime Tesla Mother Frunker has given us web-based tools for Waze support if you absolutely want it with a weather overlay even

45294eac-f236-4e88-93f4-1abd67709d59-jpeg.28464

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like having either Waze or Google Maps running navigation as a backup along with Tesla Navigation. Right now, I just leave my phone on the tray, but it would be nice to have it in a more visible location. Each app has various strengths and weaknesses - I wish I could combine them all into one.

Tesla
  • Shows expected battery capacity at destination.
  • Provides warnings to slow down if you're cutting it close.
  • Can (sometimes) warn if the supercharger you're planning to stop at is not working.
Google Maps (my choice for commuting & local driving)
  • Much better traffic visualization. With Tesla's, I sometimes can't tell if there's traffic on my route, or on the local road that parallels the interstate.
  • Also appears to get traffic updates a bit more quickly.
  • Continuously shows and updates up to two alternate routes.
Waze (my choice for road trips)
  • Speed traps
  • Bad pothole and road debris warnings.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all, I've been pleading with the folks at proclip to design and release a mount for the model 3 that will give us a mounting option other than the cup holder area.
They have been working hard at getting one built and have sent me the version that's in production.
No tools are required, it clips behind the steering wheel. The bracket is separate from the phone holster itself allowing you to use whatever holder you want provided it can be mounted with 4 screws.

My phone is still partially obstructed by the wheel but I'm hoping the folks at proclip can tweak the design by lowering the mounting point by about a 1/4 inch.
Proclip makes some brilliant mounts. I used them for years - and only changed to an alternative when they told me I didn’t want Qi charging, so I searched for a Qi solution (iOttie — not as pretty, or OEM looking, but liked it just as much for different reasons).

Mounts are less relevant with CarPlay and Android Auto.

I don’t think I require any sort of mount with the Model 3’s setup, and my Jeda Qi charger.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think that’s an interesting location.

I have the ProClip that mounts off the side of the console. Not perfect, but way better than the tray. I modified it to wirelessly charge and has worked flawless. No fiddling around either drop it in and it’s perfect every time.

Any way, I’ll have to look at how the phone might function there. It’s gonna vary a lot by phone and driver height/position.

Franklin L

Country
Country
I like the location and have been looking for a solution like this. Having driven in an S, I would have much preferred to have a binnacle option for my 3 as well. Looking to the side where the touchscreen is takes my eyes off the road for navigation and blind spot information. Perhaps it’s because I wear glasses, but I can’t see the touchscreen information at all without shifting my gaze away from the road.

I’d really like the clip if it came with a Qi charger and a proximity based automatic opening and closing phone holder.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like the location and have been looking for a solution like this. Having driven in an S, I would have much preferred to have a binnacle option for my 3 as well. Looking to the side where the touchscreen is takes my eyes off the road for navigation and blind spot information. Perhaps it’s because I wear glasses, but I can’t see the touchscreen information at all without shifting my gaze away from the road.

I’d really like the clip if it came with a Qi charger and a proximity based automatic opening and closing phone holder.
but you can look down, thru the steering wheel without taking your eyes off the road? really?

Drhalo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

You can install whatever qi mount works. With pro clip you only need to buy the bracket. You can mount whatever mount you like with it. I personally like having something right in front Of me. As we can see by the varied response it's totally personal preference.

Just like chrome deletes, spoilers and wheel sizes. Lots of strong opinions and none of them are right or wrong.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Does the pro clip only mount in the center of the steering wheel or can you mount it in any location on the wood strip?
Personally I would rather have the phone off to the side of my vision a bit, like where I have my own phone mount at the corner of the display. Also not safe to reach through the steering wheel.
I've used proclip mounts for decades though, always good stuff.

Drhalo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mounts behind wheel where the notch for the steering column is. I agree I would have preferred just to the left of the screen but there's no place for the mount to get a good grip I guess.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mounts behind wheel where the notch for the steering column is. I agree I would have preferred just to the left of the screen but there's no place for the mount to get a good grip I guess.
I'd like to mount a phone on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Any idea if it can slide over to that side?

Drhalo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It can only go the in that notch where the steering column is. You can shift it left but not by left the pillar if that's where you want it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The engineers at Tesla have given you a perfect phone mount with power built into the center console. I can see it just fine without cluttering up a minimalist dash.
I currently use it there. It's not bad, but I'd rather have it in a location that's closer to the windshield.