New Owners list of suggestions/solutions

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another gripe from me (I really do love my M3): I was tooling down the road at the listed speed limit and went into a School Zone. The car happily continued to speed along at 40 mph while the limit dropped to 20 mph for the school zone and low and behold the local Police car was parked across from the school. I managed to slow down before I got nabbed, but came up with the idea that Tesla should note where school zones are located and install that information in their road database and slow the car or at least notify the operator that the speed limit is about to drop by 20 mph. I keep hoping the car will anticipate some of the known speed limit changes for things like hospitals, fire stations and schools but that doesn't seem to be the case.
On a related tangent, my GPS (which I no longer carry in my car) has a feature that tells when an emergency vehicle is nearby and when trains are passing on the local tracks. I think those features should be included with the auto steer package.
One more thing: down the road is a T intersection that the Tesla doesn't seem to recognize. The car approaches the intersection at flank speed with no indication that it plans to slow down, much less stop at the stop sign. Should I report that as an error? I've tried to hold out to see how long it takes for the car to hit the brakes, but it wants to cruise across the intersection rather than stop at the stop sign. It doesn't seem to have "learned" about this intersection from its own experience or the common database.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The car does NOT stop at stop signs.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One more thing: down the road is a T intersection that the Tesla doesn't seem to recognize. The car approaches the intersection at flank speed with no indication that it plans to slow down, much less stop at the stop sign. Should I report that as an error? I've tried to hold out to see how long it takes for the car to hit the brakes, but it wants to cruise across the intersection rather than stop at the stop sign. It doesn't seem to have "learned" about this intersection from its own experience or the common database.
A couple of things to note:

1. Teslas do not recognize and interpret road signs and traffic lights at the moment. Those capabilities will become available later this year to anyone who has purchased the Full Self-Driving option. All "Autosteer" is right now is traffic-aware cruise control (automatic acceleration/braking) combined with lane-keeping assistance (automatic steering to follow well-marked lane lines). It will not stop for stop signs or traffic lights, nor will it handle T-intersections or school zones with variable speed limits based on time of day. While the car will allow you to engage Autosteer on any road where it can detect lane lines, it is primarily intended to be used on well-marked, divided highways.

2. Teslas do not currently "learn" about specific roadways or intersections on their own. The Autopilot cameras and sensors collect video and data from your drives that are sent back to Tesla HQ and used to help "train" a neural network to recognize various objects and situations, and to react accordingly. Periodically, Tesla will push a new version of that neural network out to its fleet, and through that update your car "learns" or "gets smarter". Tesla also periodically pushes out new "map data" updates, which also feed Autopilot's understanding of specific roads and highways, and enable advanced features like Navigate on Autopilot that can handle on-ramps, off-ramps, and interchanges.

More details about how Autopilot works are covered in this CleanTechnica article's "deep dive" into Autopilot.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MrBill, Autopilot does not possess the capabilities that you're ascribing to it. It is not much more than fancy cruise control. It doesn't interpret signs. It knows some speed limits from the map database, but it doesn't force you to obey them. It doesn't "learn" anything. All of the "machine learning" you've heard about happens on Tesla's big service farms - NOT in the individual vehicles themselves.

Treat it like traffic-aware cruise control with lane keeping. It is not self-driving.