New Owners list of suggestions/solutions

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
eventhusan said: I feel like an outsider...is anyone having these issues with their model 3? I do not find anyone discussing them on the forum...

1. AC is really really weak
I’ve had my car for just over 3 weeks now and I do think the AC works well with two exceptions: I have to set the desired temperature to a number lower than my other vehicles for the same degree of comfort. Secondly, in “Auto” the fan seems to come on at low speeds unless the temperature differential is great, another reason to set the desired temp lower than normal. That said, the AC does cool and cools very well for me.

2. Seat is really hard!
Yup.

3. Car Keys work with multiple tries
Have not experienced a problem with my card keys for either self or wife, at least not yet.

4. Phone Key gets disconnected
Agree, and is mildly annoying, especially when trying to summon out of garage. I’m guessing it is a Bluetooth issue to be resolved at some point with an iPhone update or Tesla OTA update or both.

5. Accelerator is hard
I realize this is subjective to the driver, though neither my wife nor I consider our pedal hard or presenting large pushback.

Am I the only person who feels the overall ride comfort is not on par with even Camry/Leaf? The hard seats, stiff gas pedal and the heavy car feeling - may be Tesla did not test drive simple cars when designing this?

I’ve never been in a Camry, but I’ve owned my 2012 LEAF since new. I have to admit, the LEAF is incredibly easier for me to get into and out of than the Model 3. I’m 6’2” and weigh, oh let’s just say more than necessary, and do have to contort a bit to get in and out. The LEAF is one of the easiest vehicles for tall drivers and even though the seats are not electrically operated, very, very comfortable.

Last edited:

mkg3

Country
Country
I am on southern California and temps are reaching 95 almost daily. I tried setting my AC to 85, then 80 and then about 75. AC feels very slightly cold as if pumping plain air. I checked the settings - AC and is on and outside air setting is blocked. When I set the temp below 75 (difference of 20 degrees) - only then I feel some coolness in air. This is consistent daily experience.
Okay, I too live in OC (in south OC near the beach) and gotta tell you, in every car I own (we have 5 in the family) the AC is set to 65 or below on auto climate. Even in the winter, we have it set to 70~72 at the most.

My house AC is set to 75.

2. Seat is really hard!
I tried many many settings, and even in the best seat position, I feel seat pushing back at my back really hard! The faux leather feels very stiff. A design from SpaceX? Feels G is pushing back all the time...

....Am I the only person who feels the overall ride comfort is not on par with even Camry/Leaf?

The car has a stiffer ride and
rigid feel to it. The seats are firm but not hard, as far as what I'm used to. The comparison to Camry/Leaf is an apple-to-orange kind of comparison. Yes both are 4 door sedan cars, just as both are spherical shaped fruit, but they are nothing alike.

Sorry to hear its not what you'd expected. I think this is one of the things that happens when there is no test drive fleet to experience what the vehicle is like, and one makes rationalization from what the person knows with
different set of assumptions.

My car keys rarely work with single try. Sometimes I have to use the door handle, then car kind of wakes up and realizes I am using a car key.

This issue has been discussed in the forum. I tried all the fixes - keeping app open, not battery optimizing the app, etc. Phone key still gets disconnected every day.

I have never used the card key. I have it in my wallet but I always use the iPhone in my pocket. Has not failed me yet. Just walk up and open the door, and off I go. Its odd to me that that happens but if its a widely reported problem, then there must be an issue with it.

If you are saying that the door should automatically unlock and open on its own, as you walk up, then that has never happened to me. Didn't know that was even a feature and I
wouldn't want that anyway. I would disable a feature like that.

5. Accelerator is hard
The Gas pedal feels really hard - always pushing back.

......The hard seats, stiff gas pedal and the heavy car feeling - may be Tesla did not test drive simple cars when designing this?

The accelerator pedal, when its too light,
doesn't provide sufficient feedback to the driver. When its too heavy, its difficult to press so there is a happy medium between the two. I find it it provides the kind of feedback I associate with regenerative braking force. I know in some cars, its a very light feel. But, whatever it is, its an easy adaptation. You can imagine with multiple vehicles, each with its own characteristics, feel quite different so its just a matter of getting used to. Take little to no time.

The last point worth mentioning is the comment about the heavy car feeling. I believe you are associating the heaviness and lightness to how much the power steering is boosted (meaning how light and easy it turns). Clearly Camry is heavily boosted, whereas T3 is not. Believe it or not, most people prefer more feedback than less feedback. The power steering is designed to have different boost at different speed (more at lower speed and less at higher ) but the whole feel on T3 is sporty and responsive tailoring. I remember at one point we had a Odyssey minivan and Mini Cooper at the same time. Going back and forth was a challenge for the first minute.

The good news is if you are really unsatisfied, I'm sure you can sell it for close to what you paid for it. If you don't dislike it that much, then you can do couple of things like deflate your tire pressure lower and when you are ready to replace the tire, go with more of a traditional sedan tires with softer ride.

EVenthusan

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
eventhusan said: I feel like an outsider...is anyone having these issues with their model 3? I do not find anyone discussing them on the forum...

I’ve had my car for just over 3 weeks now and I do think the AC works well with two exceptions: I have to set the desired temperature to a number lower than my other vehicles for the same degree of comfort. Secondly, in “Auto” the fan seems to come on at low speeds unless the temperature differential is great, another reason to set the desired temp lower than normal. That said, the AC does cool and cools very well for me.

2. Seat is really hard!
Yup.

Have not experienced a problem with my card keys for either self or wife, at least not yet.

Agree, and is mildly annoying, especially when trying to summon out of garage. I’m guessing it is a Bluetooth issue to be resolved at some point with an iPhone update or Tesla OTA update or both.

5. Accelerator is hard
I realize this is subjective to the driver, though neither my wife nor I consider our pedal hard or presenting large pushback.

Am I the only person who feels the overall ride comfort is not on par with even Camry/Leaf? The hard seats, stiff gas pedal and the heavy car feeling - may be Tesla did not test drive simple cars when designing this?

I’ve never been in a Camry, but I’ve owned my 2012 LEAF since new. I have to admit, the LEAF is incredibly easier for me to get into and out of than the Model 3. I’m 6’2” and weigh, oh let’s just say more than necessary, and do have to contort a bit to get in and out. The LEAF is one of the easiest vehicles for tall drivers and even though the seats are not electrically operated, very, very comfortable.
Thank you for your insight. I have been adjusting to the T3 and while I am okay now with AC, and using key card all the time, and the stiff accelerator, I feel the seat is still hard. I guess I will have to live with it. Overall the car is still better preposition than anything else around.

EVenthusan

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Okay, I too live in OC (in south OC near the beach) and gotta tell you, in every car I own (we have 5 in the family) the AC is set to 65 or below on auto climate. Even in the winter, we have it set to 70~72 at the most.

My house AC is set to 75.

The car has a stiffer ride and
rigid feel to it. The seats are firm but not hard, as far as what I'm used to. The comparison to Camry/Leaf is an apple-to-orange kind of comparison. Yes both are 4 door sedan cars, just as both are spherical shaped fruit, but they are nothing alike.

Sorry to hear its not what you'd expected. I think this is one of the things that happens when there is no test drive fleet to experience what the vehicle is like, and one makes rationalization from what the person knows with
different set of assumptions.

I have never used the card key. I have it in my wallet but I always use the iPhone in my pocket. Has not failed me yet. Just walk up and open the door, and off I go. Its odd to me that that happens but if its a widely reported problem, then there must be an issue with it.

If you are saying that the door should automatically unlock and open on its own, as you walk up, then that has never happened to me. Didn't know that was even a feature and I
wouldn't want that anyway. I would disable a feature like that.

The accelerator pedal, when its too light,
doesn't provide sufficient feedback to the driver. When its too heavy, its difficult to press so there is a happy medium between the two. I find it it provides the kind of feedback I associate with regenerative braking force. I know in some cars, its a very light feel. But, whatever it is, its an easy adaptation. You can imagine with multiple vehicles, each with its own characteristics, feel quite different so its just a matter of getting used to. Take little to no time.

The last point worth mentioning is the comment about the heavy car feeling. I believe you are associating the heaviness and lightness to how much the power steering is boosted (meaning how light and easy it turns). Clearly Camry is heavily boosted, whereas T3 is not. Believe it or not, most people prefer more feedback than less feedback. The power steering is designed to have different boost at different speed (more at lower speed and less at higher ) but the whole feel on T3 is sporty and responsive tailoring. I remember at one point we had a Odyssey minivan and Mini Cooper at the same time. Going back and forth was a challenge for the first minute.

The good news is if you are really unsatisfied, I'm sure you can sell it for close to what you paid for it. If you don't dislike it that much, then you can do couple of things like deflate your tire pressure lower and when you are ready to replace the tire, go with more of a traditional sedan tires with softer ride.
Wow, thank you so much for your detailed response. As I mentioned in my previous reply, other than hard seat, I am adjusting to it and really enjoying the car. Again, thank you for taking time for your reply.

JeopardE

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think regenerative braking contributes to the "hard" acceleration pedal feeling. I got used to it pretty quickly though, and now other cars feel weird - almost like they're out of control animals and I have to work hard to keep them caged.

I love the seats. Definitely the most comfortable car seats I've sat in in my experience (maybe not that extensive). My wife does too - commented on our recent road trip about how she didn't feel tired at all after the long journey.

EVenthusan

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Out of 5 friends who test drove my model 3, 4 of then commented on the seat being hard/uncomfortable.

On another note, the thing that is bothering me every time is the blind spot behind the car. My seat setting is at highest point, and yet, there is a blind space behind that I can not see in the rear view mirror. One car will totally fit in that space and I will not see it. The car little behind, I am able to see only top half. Anyone else noticed this?

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
of 5 friends who test drove my model 3, 4 of then commented on the seat being hard/uncomfortable.
I agree that the seat feels hard while on a long drive.

It took about four weeks to figure out the best seat position for the circumstances.

I hope the foam inside the seat mellows out a bit as time passes.

MrBill

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have not seen any mention of some of my pet peeves about the Model 3:
1) The car's rear end picks up lots of dirt. It's so bad right now that you can't even read the license plate. Tesla should include some sort of lens washer for the rear camera because it is impossible to see anything behind the car when it's dirty. Looking out the rear window is adequate only with the assistance of the rear camera.
2) I would like to have a 12v outlet on the rear view mirror so I can plug in my radar detector. I figure this car has the performance and handling to draw the attention of the local police and I'd like to know when they're out there waiting for me.
3) I'd like to have a Nudge feature so when the car rounds a curve and sits almost on top of the center line [scary!] I can nudge it over a bit without having the car cancel the auto steering function but have it learn to stay a little further away from the center line at that location.
4) The owner's manual in my car does not work. It brings up a screen that leads to another screen and then nothing. There is no index and no search function.
5) I've heard people on this site mention telling Tech Support about a problem but have not found any mention of how to do that in the owner's manual. There is also no description at all about how to operate the sound system. I've figured out most of it, but I suspect there are features I have not yet discovered. I've created several "radio stations" but don't have any idea how to remove them when they're not wanted any more. I also don't know who provides the music functions but get the impression that it uses 4G LTE. Will that upgrade to 5G?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
4) The owner's manual in my car does not work. It brings up a screen that leads to another screen and then nothing. There is no index and no search function.
Try doing a 2-button restart (holding down each steering wheel button until the screen turns off). this generally corrects various issues, like the manual not showing up on-screen.
5) I've heard people on this site mention telling Tech Support about a problem but have not found any mention of how to do that in the owner's manual.
when in the car, hold down the right steering wheel button and say "bug report" followed directly by the issue or suggestion you have. when you stop speaking, it will send it to Tesla (so don't pause waiting for it to do something after you say 'bug report'). if you don't like 'bug report', you can also use just 'report'.
from email - send a message with your issue/suggestion to servicehelpna@teslamotors.com or call 1-888-518-3752 and follow the prompts for support if you have an immediate issue.
Will that upgrade to 5G?
5G towers are jsut barely being installed now, in only a few places. Likely will not be something widely available within the next year+, so doubt we will see newly delivered cars with those cel radios, let alone upgrades to existing cars.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've created several "radio stations" but don't have any idea how to remove them when they're not wanted any more.
On any favorite item, "un-star" it (press the solid star icon on the item) to remove it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
1) The car's rear end picks up lots of dirt. It's so bad right now that you can't even read the license plate. Tesla should include some sort of lens washer for the rear camera because it is impossible to see anything behind the car when it's dirty. Looking out the rear window is adequate only with the assistance of the rear camera.
Seems to be a generic issue with most cars.

For the camera, I just clean it off with a damp rag every time I'm back at home.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems to be a generic issue with most cars.

For the camera, I just clean it off with a damp rag every time I'm back at home.
my co-worker with a Mazda mentioned to me at lunch recently that she needed to take her car in for service because the backup camera view is totally fuzzy and blurred. I asked her if she has wiped off the camera and she said there isn't a camera (ummm.... where does the camera view come from then?). On our walk back to the office, we went by her car, I showed her where it was and wiped it off. next day she said it was fixed and can cancel the service appointment.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my co-worker with a Mazda mentioned to me at lunch recently that she needed to take her car in for service because the backup camera view is totally fuzzy and blurred. I asked her if she has wiped off the camera and she said there isn't a camera (ummm.... where does the camera view come from then?). On our walk back to the office, we went by her car, I showed her where it was and wiped it off. next day she said it was fixed and can cancel the service appointment.
:openmouth::openmouth::openmouth::openmouth::openmouth::sweat::sweat:

Send her a bill.

Last edited:

MrBill

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the feedback. For the record, I always carry a rag in the side door pocket for wiping the lens of the back camera and use it every time I park. I put it in my coat pocket until I'm sitting back in the car again and leave it in the door until next trip. I would think it would be possible and very Tesla-like to have a tiny, high pressure nozzle that squirts some cleaner on the lens now and then just to clear off the dirt that collects there.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the feedback. For the record, I always carry a rag in the side door pocket for wiping the lens of the back camera and use it every time I park. I put it in my coat pocket until I'm sitting back in the car again and leave it in the door until next trip. I would think it would be possible and very Tesla-like to have a tiny, high pressure nozzle that squirts some cleaner on the lens now and then just to clear off the dirt that collects there.
I keep a rag in my car for just such an occasion. When I get in my car to leave (backing up), I see that my back camera is a dirty mess and tell myself I’ll clean it at my next stop. I then get where I’m headed and have completely forgotten.

I follow this up by repeating everything from my second sentence on over and over.

It’s been weeks. 😐

E.V.Texan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How about an handle above each door, to help getting in and out. I haven't seen another car without one. I never mentioned it before, because I couldn't believe I'm the only person who bought a m3 that misses not having one.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How about an handle above each door, to help getting in and out. I haven't seen another car without one. I never mentioned it before, because I couldn't believe I'm the only person who bought a m3 that misses not having one.
Yes, it has been discussed somewhere in these forums. I did some investigation into the possibility of installing after-market handles. To do so would be quite simple and inexpensive. However, the side curtain air bag is mounted inside the proper location, so an adequate installation would likely interfere with proper airbag deployment.

MrBill

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another gripe from me (I really do love my M3): I was tooling down the road at the listed speed limit and went into a School Zone. The car happily continued to speed along at 40 mph while the limit dropped to 20 mph for the school zone and low and behold the local Police car was parked across from the school. I managed to slow down before I got nabbed, but came up with the idea that Tesla should note where school zones are located and install that information in their road database and slow the car or at least notify the operator that the speed limit is about to drop by 20 mph. I keep hoping the car will anticipate some of the known speed limit changes for things like hospitals, fire stations and schools but that doesn't seem to be the case.
On a related tangent, my GPS (which I no longer carry in my car) has a feature that tells when an emergency vehicle is nearby and when trains are passing on the local tracks. I think those features should be included with the auto steer package.
One more thing: down the road is a T intersection that the Tesla doesn't seem to recognize. The car approaches the intersection at flank speed with no indication that it plans to slow down, much less stop at the stop sign. Should I report that as an error? I've tried to hold out to see how long it takes for the car to hit the brakes, but it wants to cruise across the intersection rather than stop at the stop sign. It doesn't seem to have "learned" about this intersection from its own experience or the common database.