New Owners list of suggestions/solutions

lairdb

Country
Country
Does that mean it is possible to have 1 tag work on two cars?
Did anybody nail this down, btw? I can't lay hands on it at the moment, but I know some analysis was done and it's an active NFC crypto exchange between the card and the vehicle, but that doesn't rule out one card working on more than one car -- that could just be challenge-response to authenticate the card.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did anybody nail this down, btw? I can't lay hands on it at the moment, but I know some analysis was done and it's an active NFC crypto exchange between the card and the vehicle, but that doesn't rule out one card working on more than one car -- that could just be challenge-response to authenticate the card.
@Maevra ?

Sealander

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The driver's profile on our model 3 does not change depending on who enter's the car as far as I can tell. We each have a phone to unlock which works great so far, but the driver's profile defaults to the last one that was driving. When the other driver enters the car it must be changed manually on the screen or am I missing something in the setup?

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
The driver's profile on our model 3 does not change depending on who enter's the car as far as I can tell. We each have a phone to unlock which works great so far, but the driver's profile defaults to the last one that was driving. When the other driver enters the car it must be changed manually on the screen or am I missing something in the setup?
Nope. As of now, driver profile isn't linked to phonekey or keycard for Model 3. It is linked to keyfob for S/X so presumably this feature will come in the future.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have 26.3 so many older things on page 1 are now in. Here''s my suggestions as of this f/w rev.

The user profile via BT or keycard is needed.
If my wife was last driver, its hard for me to sit down in drivers seat until I move the seat, or press my name.

Blind Spot Monitoring. Wonder why its not there? Side Camera is facing rear on each side.
Auto lane change seems to know when cars are coming up and then car will not change lanes.

Don't lock the car when I am parked in the garage. I wouldn't even mind an icon on screen to "Not Lock" on Walkaway.
Without the old fashioned lock/unlock buttons on doors, this is really needed.

Text message audible readout. Been on Lexus and other cars for 5 years plus.
On Lexus, you can tap "Driving, will call later" in response.

Resident SXM app in addition to TuneIn/Streaming. I can live without hardware with better SXM integration.
I have it in my phone, and about 25% of the time it doesn't re-connect when I enter the car. It's hit or miss to reconnect and autoplay.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Two that are killing me are:

Scheduled preconditioning. I leave for work and go to lunch at the same time every day. It’s silly it can’t cool the car on a schedule. I have to remember 10 min in advance to do from the app. My bmw i3 had this feature, and so do other EVs, and I expected this to be standard functionality in 2018

USB audio from my phone. I want to navigate the albums and playlists that are stored on my phone from the center display instead of fiddling with my phone directly. The Bluetooth interface is insufficient.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have 26.3 so many older things on page 1 are now in. Here''s my suggestions as of this f/w rev.

The user profile via BT or keycard is needed.
If my wife was last driver, its hard for me to sit down in drivers seat until I move the seat, or press my name.

Blind Spot Monitoring. Wonder why its not there? Side Camera is facing rear on each side.
Auto lane change seems to know when cars are coming up and then car will not change lanes.

Don't lock the car when I am parked in the garage. I wouldn't even mind an icon on screen to "Not Lock" on Walkaway.
Without the old fashioned lock/unlock buttons on doors, this is really needed.

Text message audible readout. Been on Lexus and other cars for 5 years plus.
On Lexus, you can tap "Driving, will call later" in response.

Resident SXM app in addition to TuneIn/Streaming. I can live without hardware with better SXM integration.
I have it in my phone, and about 25% of the time it doesn't re-connect when I enter the car. It's hit or miss to reconnect and autoplay.
You can take care of the "wife was last driver" issue by setting up the Easy exit profile. You do have be sure and select your profile before putting your foot on the brake or it'll squish you back in. With Easy Exit though when she unbuckles and gets out the steering wheel will move up and the seat back. When you get in just select your profile before putting your foot on the brake. I do wish this was tied to the phone as you note, but there is a small workaround.

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's fine for a Lexus but on a Model 3 it should have the option to respond:

"Driving, will call later, hopefully much later". :D
We've all got different opinions, but this is where I hope and wish Tesla would stay away from any phone platform. Just do what they do best, that is the car. My view is the phone manufacture should take of the issue of responding to texts and calls while you are driving. Apple has addressed it with Do Not Disturb and it works. Why should Tesla engineers spend more time on Software to do something that has already been addressed. They then have to worry about keeping up with Apple and Android every time something changes on the phone SW then Tesla has to spend even that much more time trying to keep up with the implementation that changed. It only gets more complicated as they have more models they have to support, S, X and 3, with various different hardware sets and a GUI they try to keep looking similar.

I'll even go one further, why does anyone need a response. You know in the old days if no one answered the call they just tried again later.

EVenthusan

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I feel like an outsider...is anyone having these issues with their model 3? I do not find anyone discussing them on the forum...

It has been about 10 days since I got delivery of my Model 3 - Midnight Silver (Gray really), 18 inch Aero wheels, PUP.

Everything else is great! Lots of positive reviews here for Model 3 and I will not repeat them. But I find some annoyances that bother me on day to day basis. Please chime in if you had them and know how to fix!

1. AC is really really weak
I am on southern California and temps are reaching 95 almost daily. I tried setting my AC to 85, then 80 and then about 75. AC feels very slightly cold as if pumping plain air. I checked the settings - AC and is on and outside air setting is blocked. When I set the temp below 75 (difference of 20 degrees) - only then I feel some coolness in air. This is consistent daily experience.

2. Seat is really hard!
I tried many many settings, and even in the best seat position, I feel seat pushing back at my back really hard! The faux leather feels very stiff. A design from SpaceX? Feels G is pushing back all the time...

3. Car Keys work with multiple tries
My car keys rarely work with single try. Sometimes I have to use the door handle, then car kind of wakes up and realizes I am using a car key.

4. Phone Key gets disconnected
This issue has been discussed in the forum. I tried all the fixes - keeping app open, not battery optimizing the app, etc. Phone key still gets disconnected every day.

5. Accelerator is hard
The Gas pedal feels really hard - always pushing back.

Am I the only person who feels the overall ride comfort is not on par with even Camry/Leaf? The hard seats, stiff gas pedal and the heavy car feeling - may be Tesla did not test drive simple cars when designing this?

Cheers.

dcdttu

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
1. In Austin, my coworker's Model 3 A/C cooled her cabin off no problem after it was left in direct sun on a 95 degree day while we ate lunch. Maybe yours has an issue?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3. Car Keys work with multiple tries
My car keys rarely work with single try. Sometimes I have to use the door handle, then car kind of wakes up and realizes I am using a car key.
Are you referring to the phone as a key or key card? Either way, I believe since a software update earlier this year, it requires a push of the door handle to 'wake' the car. it was the lesser evil of the car constantly waking and unlocking each time its phone was at all nearby.

EVenthusan

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I wouldn't really expect anything over 75 to feel particularly cool. If you set it to 65 and it doesn't get cold then maybe there is a problem.
In my other cars - camry/leaf, it does feel cool. Going from 95 to 75, the camry/leaf AC is definitely pumping cooler air than tesla.

EVenthusan

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Are you referring to the phone as a key or key card? Either way, I believe since a software update earlier this year, it requires a push of the door handle to 'wake' the car. it was the lesser evil of the car constantly waking and unlocking each time its phone was at all nearby.
I am referring to the key card, not the phone key. It sometimes takes 5-7 tries to wake up the car, and somethines push of the door handle.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I wouldn't really expect anything over 75 to feel particularly cool. If you set it to 65 and it doesn't get cold then maybe there is a problem.
If the temperature is well above the set point (using your example set point of 75F), say 95F, the HVAC should go to full cold and stay there until the system senses the ambient temperature approaching 75F.

Back in the day working on old R12 systems, the outlet temperature would hover around 40F until the thermostat inside the interior was satisfied.

I'll have to do an outlet temp test on Model 3 next time it is heat soaked.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If the temperature is well above the set point (using your example set point of 75F), say 95F, the HVAC should go to full cold and stay there until the system senses the ambient temperature approaching 75F.

Back in the day working on old R12 systems, the outlet temperature would hover around 40F until the thermostat inside the interior was satisfied.

I'll have to do an outlet temp test on Model 3 next time it is heat soaked.
Unlike ICE cars, Tesla's electric AC compressor is run with an inverter and variable. So if the temp in the cabin is not far from the set temp, it can run only slightly cooler or hotter and use a lot less power.

Next time you hang out in your car on a hot day while it is plugged in but charging stopped (what you don't spend hours in your cabin wiring things in your dash??), watch the current draw from the charger. Despite not charging, it will start drawing a good 12A when running the AC at full tilt, then quickly reduce to about 8A and eventually only draw an amp or so.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Unlike ICE cars, Tesla's electric AC compressor is run with an inverter and variable. So if the temp in the cabin is not far from the set temp, it can run only slightly cooler or hotter and use a lot less power.

Next time you hang out in your car on a hot day while it is plugged in but charging stopped (what you don't spend hours in your cabin wiring things in your dash??), watch the current draw from the charger. Despite not charging, it will start drawing a good 12A when running the AC at full tilt, then quickly reduce to about 8A and eventually only draw an amp or so.
Nothing like rewiring your car to make your day :).

I have yet to run the HVAC while tied to shore power because the TOU rate is very high during the day.

I'll have a look this weekend (after cutting a hole into the steel roof of my gazebo. ......long story, don't ask).