New owner slightly used 2020 SR+

Croxley611

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey there, was in the market to switch to EV because I do a lot of daily driving in my town for work and tired of filling up my 2019 Acura RDX with supreme, should save me $400+/month.
I was originally going to check out the 2022 Chevrolet Bolt but then noticed a 2020 SR+ at a local dealer with low kms (15,000).

never drove an electric and took it for a quick drive and instantly fell in love of course. I really gotta read up on these forums because there’s a ton of things to get used to on these things.

anyways picking it up tomorrow, just wondering what the best level 2 home charger there is too purchase and I’m sure I’ll be posting questions (I’ll read the manual first) and post pics tomorrow.
Thanks
Dave

Reactions: victor

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you already have a 220 volt outlet in the garage, a pretty good charging device comes with the car! (Unless the previous owner kept it) You just need a $35 adapter head to match whatever 220 volt outlet you have.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Welcome to the forum!

I charged for the first few weeks on 120v. Slow, but doable if your daily driving is equal to your overnight charge. I had a nema 6-50 outlet in my garage, so when the mobile wall connector 6-50 adapter arrived, I was all set. Charged at 32/mph. Eventually, I bought a Tesla high power wall connector, which looks great and charges slightly faster at about 38/mph based on my wiring and circuit breaker. It’s a nice to have accessory, but the mobile unit works just fine.

Reactions: Croxley611

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Welcome to the forum! :)
just wondering what the best level 2 home charger there is too purchase and I’m sure I’ll be posting questions (I’ll read the manual first) and post pics tomorrow.
As @JasonF said, the Gen2 Mobile Connector that comes with every Tesla is a good first choice. If your used car didn't include one, you can buy one from Tesla for $370 CAD. That's about the lowest price you're going to find for an EVSE that can handle up to 32 amps at 240v. There are various adapters available for $44-$55 CAD that allow you to plug it into whatever type of outlet you have.

Small terminology lesson - when charging via AC power, the actual "charger" is a part that's integrated into the car. The thing that we plug into a car to charge it is called an EVSE, or a "charging station". An EVSE is basically a fancy safety switch + extension cord. Apologies if that sounds pedantic or condescending - I'm not sure how best to introduce that information, but I think it's important so that new EV owners don't get confused when they start reading threads talking about a car's "onboard charger".

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Congrats @Croxley611 and welcome to the forum! Spend some time here poking around (use the search function) to find any answers you have to questions but if you can't find something just ask, we're a friendly bunch!

We HIGHLY recommend getting a 220V outlet installed for daily charging, 120V, while doable short term, will prove to be VERY frustrating. You don't need a charger, an outlet will do just fine and you can buy the 220V socket adapter from Tesla to suit your NEMA plug style here

Be sure to check the NEMA plug chart to select the right one!