New Model S powertrain under development

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In a couple of tweets both Tesla and Elon confirmed a new powertrain known as “plaid” is under development and due to be in production in about a year.

3f37b892-a4e5-4b77-abc2-6985bcf7c4d1-jpeg.29043
2bdb95c4-82a3-4805-bc1c-fe90314e8ffc-jpeg.29044

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
“But that’s not Nuremberg!!!” - people with masters degrees in simulque ostendens, quod obvious (pointing out the obvious).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You might not know this @TrevP, but you can just post a link to the tweet instead of a ginormous image, and the forum will magically embed it. ;)

The initial "Yes" was in response to somebody asking if this car had three motors. :D

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Still not clear if Nico will be driving it.

I'm not sure if there'll be much point. If Tesla's goal is to sort out the chassis and powertrain, they'll probably prefer an Engineer driving at first. Plus, there will not be an opportunity to set a fast lap.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You might not know this @TrevP, but you can just post a link to the tweet instead of a ginormous image, and the forum will magically embed it. ;)

The initial "Yes" was in response to somebody asking if this car had three motors. :D

Using the latest iOS which has problems pasting into the forum so I had to resort to other methods. My bad

Apparently this new Plaid package is going to include fender skirts and some insanely wide wheels and tires.

Photos courtesy of Autoblog: Tesla Model S Nurburgring lap prep
Click that link for even more photos.

Another detail, the front intake for the intercooler is much larger.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nurburgring. Not Nuremberg. ;)
Whoops! Thanks for the correction!
I’ve decided to leave it unedited lest your post, and now this one from me, would not make sense! 😜

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anybody got any higher res (4k) versions of these shots without the watermark? I think it's time for a new wallpaper for my devices...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Stripped-Out Tesla Model S Beats Porsche Taycan by 20 Seconds at Nurburgring

Some new info in this article:

...three professional racing drivers and 'Ring experts have been seen piloting the Tesla prototypes:
  • Thomas Mutsch, who drives a Ford GT in FIA GT and GT3;
  • Andreas Simonsen, who competes in the Nurburgring VLN series driving for Porsche Team Huber and has driven for Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus;
  • and Carl Rydquist, a GT3 racer.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Elon tweeted about the Plaid Model S being a 7 seater, and there’s speculation that the interior configuration had been changed to make more room for the extra seats.

If the interior has changed, doesn’t this mean that an interior S refresh is imminent?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Elon tweeted about the Plaid Model S being a 7 seater, and there’s speculation that the interior configuration had been changed to make more room for the extra seats.

If the interior has changed, doesn’t this mean that an interior S refresh is imminent?
There has already been a 7 seat model S and Elon tweeted it would be the same setup.

Edit:

So maybe some change to make it roomier.

Last edited: