New Member from San Francisco

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Hi all,

Tesla lover and I'm ready to sell my Jeep and purchase a Model 3. Still undecided because the standard rwd vs dual motor awd so any feedback/information would be greatly appreciated. I will definitely be reading the forums to learn more.

It will be a daily driver but not very far from home maybe 10/20 miles daily. We do plan on taking some long trips down the coast but probably not in the snow. I love the speed of the dual motor and the additional features but does that justify for me to spend more money.

I am still unsure if I plan on installing a charger at home I know the upside of doing this and was wondering what if I do not plan on installing a charger at home. Does anyone go to a supercharger everyday or other day to charge their car?

Thanks all!

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome! :)

Still undecided because the standard rwd vs dual motor awd so any feedback/information would be greatly appreciated.
I have a Long Range AWD vehicle. While it's rated as having a 310 mile range, at 70mph, the real-world range is about 245 miles (reference), so keep that in mind if you're going to try to road trip a car with a smaller battery.

I am still unsure if I plan on installing a charger at home I know the upside of doing this and was wondering what if I do not plan on installing a charger at home. Does anyone go to a supercharger everyday or other day to charge their car?
You don't want to do that. The BEST part about owning an EV is that you never have to visit a gas station. You come home, plug in the car, and you have a full "tank" again the next morning.

The car comes with a Mobile Connector that you can use to plug it into a regular 120v wall outlet. This will add about 4 miles of range for every hour it's plugged in. If you're driving 10-20 miles daily, this is all you really need.

For $35, you can get a NEMA 14-50 adapter for the mobile connector. This allows you to plug it into a 240v dryer outlet, and will add about 35 miles of range for every hour. Adding a dryer outlet in your garage is probably less expensive than adding a permanent EVSE, so it's another option to consider.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Daily SCing isn’t advised nor should it be necessary. If you typically only drive 10-20 miles per day, you could probably get away with using a normal 120 outlet. It only charges at a rate of 3 mph, but overnight that is easily at least 30 miles. And if you just keep it plugged in any time you are home, you may find that totally adequate.

Edit: See above. Garsh types faster than me and gives better explanations.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Daily SCing isn’t advised nor should it be necessary. If you typically only drive 10-20 miles per day, you could probably get away with using a normal 120 outlet. It only charges at a rate of 3 mph, but overnight that is easily at least 30 miles. And if you just keep it plugged in any time you are home, you may find that totally adequate.

Edit: See above. Garsh types faster than me and gives better explanations.

I have a one car garage and I cannot park my car in there. Also, the dryer plug is at the furthest point in the garage so charging would be somewhat difficult. I am thinking of installing a Tesla charging box but I think it would need to be outside. Any thought/feedback about that?

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Juicebox (check Amazon, mine predates models there however) and the cable it came with I think is 20 feet, the box is inside and a car can be outside if needed.

I believe the Tesla chargers are waterproof

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I use an AWG 8 extension cord from my house generator receptacle to the 240 VAC plug that came with the M3. I did install a receptacle on the car end that would accept the plug that came with the car. I charge at 32 amperes.
I have been using that for over three months now. One of these days I will install a permanent outlet.

For every 100 miles of indicated range, I average 83 miles of actual range. I analyzed actual data over about 3500 miles. I drive the car normally and make no special efforts to extend the range.

I don't understand the advantage of a Wall Charger over a 240 VAC receptacle of adequate current rating.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the less exciting side of things, be aware that in the Bay Area there is a rash of Model 3 break-ins when you street park (anywhere in the Bay Area). To try to protect your car from this, don't leave anything in your trunk, and leave your rear seats folded down when you street park.

Sounds sad, but just be warned.

If you have valuables, put them in the frunk, or put them in the covered cellar of your trunk.

Thieves will walk up, smash the tiny back window, reach in, flip your seat down, and look in the trunk. It's quick and quiet. If they see something, they'll smash the larger window back there and reach in and pull it out.

That tiny window costs $400-500 to repair, and in the past there have been shortages of it for this reason. I and others have learned the hard way.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I use an AWG 8 extension cord from my house generator receptacle to the 240 VAC plug that came with the M3. I did install a receptacle on the car end that would accept the plug that came with the car. I charge at 32 amperes.
I have been using that for over three months now. One of these days I will install a permanent outlet.

For every 100 miles of indicated range, I average 83 miles of actual range. I analyzed actual data over about 3500 miles. I drive the car normally and make no special efforts to extend the range.

I don't understand the advantage of a Wall Charger over a 240 VAC receptacle of adequate current rating.
Great information, I really appreciate this!!

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
On the less exciting side of things, be aware that in the Bay Area there is a rash of Model 3 break-ins when you street park (anywhere in the Bay Area). To try to protect your car from this, don't leave anything in your trunk, and leave your rear seats folded down when you street park.

If you have valuables, put them in the frunk, or put them in the covered cellar of your trunk.

Thieves will walk up, smash the tiny back window, reach in, flip your seat down, and look in the trunk. It's quick and quiet. If they see something, they'll smash the larger window back there and reach in and pull it out.

That tiny window costs $400-500 to repair, and in the past there have been shortages of it for this reason. I and others have learned the hard way.
I know about all of the car break-ins since my jeep was broken into once. Wow for the tiny window cost, and thank you for the tips! I honestly try and park in parking garages now because of all the break-ins.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Get these, it should help preventing thieves to even try... Hopefully!
https://getdroplock.com/

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First, a little terminology. Tesla calls them "connectors" rather than "chargers". The more generic industry term is EVSE. They're basically fancy switches. The actual charger (the electronics that convert AC electricity to DC) are built into the cars. This is the case for all EVs.

I agree that the Mobile Connector is a better value than the Wall Connector. But the Wall Connector has some advantages:
  • A NEMA 14-50 outlet maxes out at a 40 amp charging rate, while the Wall Connector can go up to 80 amps (But the Model 3's built-in charger maxes out at 48 amps, so not much of an advantage for a Model 3).
  • Up to four Wall Connectors can be daisy-chained together to intelligently share a single feed without tripping a breaker.
  • For outdoor use, a Mobile Connector would be too easy to unplug and steal when not in use. A Wall Connector can be permanently mounted outside without that fear.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If all else fails remember thus car will charge on a 120 volt plug at the rate of 3 to 5 MPH depending on the plug and amperage. 10 hours a night could give you 50 miles of charge which is more than you described I’ve. Don’t dismiss the simple plug at home if all else fails. You could hit the SC every few months after a long drive if the other charge can’t keep up.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For the "curious engineer", within many of us, one must wonder how Tesla limits, and allocates, charge current to each vehicle.
- PHASE CONTROL like a lamp dimmer switch.
- CYCLE SKIPPING to reduce rms current.
- Time Division Multiplexing
- High Frequency CHOPPING/FILTERING.

The point I am trying to make is that it may be prudent use what Tesla recommends unless we know more than what seems to be published.

Plugging multiple cars into the same charging source can cause interesting effects, potentially affecting the car(s) and anything else connected to that source. That charging source could be a couple of receptacles, a Charger +, or the AC supply shared by an entire neighborhood.

Last edited: