New Member from Hudson Valley, NY

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Reserved my M3 on 12/25/17, expecting to wait 18 months for delivery. After much consideration and consternation, configured my car (long range, dual motor, 18" aero rims, EA, FSD) at 8pm on June 30, still expecting to wait another year. While on vacation at the Jersey shore in mid September, I received a phone call from Tesla informing me that my car (VIN 70775) would be ready for delivery on October 16. It seemed that orders for the M3 in Obsidian Black Metallic (OBM) were prioritized and that color and Silver Metallic where taken "off menu" due to difficulty in the paint shop. After recovering from the surprise, I started arranging financing and disposing of my current vehicle (2003 Honda Accord).

Sold the old car in one day, cashed in some investments, and arranged a small auto loan for the balance. Got a ride to the delivery center (90 miles away in Mt. Kisco, NY), and drove away after a somewhat anti-climatic delivery experience (cars were delivered from a parking lot about a mile away from the store). Since then, I've been driving Nikki every chance I get.

I've made some mods, including wrapping the center console, applying a screen protector and wrapping the sill plates. I bought the Tesla lug covers and caps for the aero rims and the trunk and frunk mats. I went with the Maxspider floor mats (highly recommended). I also needed to buy the NEMA 6-50 adaptor for my 220v garage outlet.

So there you have it. After following Tesla for several years, and almost buying a Leaf, then a Bolt, I ended up with my M3D a year ahead of schedule. I've only done one road trip, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and am looking forward to many more in the years to come. I will be reserving a Model Y when that option becomes available.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome! Glad you held out for the Model 3 :)

(but they didn't discontinue the silver due to it being difficult, that was the pearl white and multicoat red - silver was just not as popular).

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome! Glad you held out for the Model 3 :)

(but they didn't discontinue the silver due to it being difficult, that was the pearl white and multicoat red - silver was just not as popular).
Thanks. :) I would have leased the Leaf when they were clearing out 2017s, but they could not locate one for me. Just as well. I might not have moved to the M3 until the lease was up in 2020.

I got different explanations on the colors from different Tesla reps, but the "Official" reason back in September was "In order to streamline manufacturing, we will be reducing our car paint ordering options from seven to five colors on Thursday. Starting Friday, Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will only be offered as off-menu, limited edition colors at $2,000. Model 3 orders placed before Friday in Metallic Silver or Obsidian Black Metallic will be produced on an expedited basis, so may be available as soon as two to four weeks." I had mine four weeks later, at the original $1,000 price.