New frunk struts to pop the hood

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This seems like a monumentally bad idea to me. Especially with an aluminum bonnet.

Notice how he needs half his body weight to latch it. Bends and dents coming to a bonnet near you soon!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This seems like a monumentally bad idea to me. Especially with an aluminum bonnet.

Notice how he needs half his body weight to latch it. Bends and dents coming to a bonnet near you soon!
The struts are stronger for sure, but after exercising it a few times it became much easier to close.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What would worry me about it is there is a weak point designed into the hood about halfway up - it's designed to fold during a crash to absorb energy, and to not impale pedestrians. Too much force closing the hood could gradually weaken and bend those points.

Ed Post

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sweet. Thanx for the video. I ordered these yesterday, this will be helpful when I install, especially the part about doing a few gentle exercise passes.

Country
Country
Back in August, I spent $14.99 on a pair of Jeep struts from Amazon and installed them as shown in this video:

I've enjoyed the convenience of the auto-popup ever since without any issues at all. After the first few uses, the frunk hood soon became a simple one-handed close, actually with no more effort than with the original struts (see the video for the one hand close). There have been no distortions, bends or dents to the hood. In fact, as noted in the video, the hood is now perfectly flush with the flanking quarter panels, whereas the hood had been a tad lower before the mod. Hot weather in August had no deleterious effect. It does not get freezing cold here, so I can't speak to that. YMMV, though.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can someone explain how hot weather can have a effect on this?
I think the guy who posted right above yours kinda explained that it doesn't. People think that it will bend because its thin aluminum and designed to crumple in a crash so a lot of people are scared to even touch them. It will be fine as long as you are not muscling it down and secure it the way Tesla describes in the manual. Grab it from the latch hook on the Frunk lid and pull it closed from their, no additional flex on the hood will happen that way.

mptpro

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Back in August, I spent $14.99 on a pair of Jeep struts from Amazon and installed them as shown in this video:

I've enjoyed the convenience of the auto-popup ever since without any issues at all. After the first few uses, the frunk hood soon became a simple one-handed close, actually with no more effort than with the original struts (see the video for the one hand close). There have been no distortions, bends or dents to the hood. In fact, as noted in the video, the hood is now perfectly flush with the flanking quarter panels, whereas the hood had been a tad lower before the mod. Hot weather in August had no deleterious effect. It does not get freezing cold here, so I can't speak to that. YMMV, though.

I did the same, in fact your video was the inspiration for it! Works great and the best add-on to my M3P, as I use the front multiple times a day.

The $15 struts work well, don't know why the OP's are $50?!?

Here's video of struts in action:

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the guy who posted right above yours kinda explained that it doesn't. People think that it will bend because its thin aluminum and designed to crumple in a crash so a lot of people are scared to even touch them. It will be fine as long as you are not muscling it down and secure it the way Tesla describes in the manual. Grab it from the latch hook on the Frunk lid and pull it closed from their, no additional flex on the hood will happen that way.
Thanks for the explanation 👍

Country
Country
I did the same, in fact your video was the inspiration for it! Works great and the best add-on to my M3P, as I use the front multiple times a day.

Here's video of struts in action:
Just to be clear, that is not my video, rather I first saw it posted elsewhere in these forums. I've picked up a lot of info lurking here.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t work for EVANNEX, so I’m just sharing my review of their new product.

I never tried the Jeep struts from the i1Tesla video.

EDIT: I have removed the rest of my original reply as I can no longer confirm one way or another that there is a difference between the struts.

Last edited:
Country
Country
How

How does it affect the hood height without changing the rear hinges at all?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do the new struts, once installed, violate this law?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.113

Does the second effort to pull the hood up may have allowed Tesla to meet the law?
I assume you're talking about this requirement in particular:
S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system.
I believe the answer is no, it does not violate that law.

Pop your frunk, and then just leave it like that without lifting it. If you wait several minutes before trying to lift it, you'll find that there is a secondary latch holding it down. I believe this secondary latch is what meets the requirement.

But then we have to wonder, why didn't this secondary latch prevent the front hood from going up the whole way once the struts were replaced. My guess is that Tesla decided to program in some smarts, so that pressing the button while the car is sitting still releases both the primary and secondary latches. But that secondary latch will re-activate after a few seconds, just in case you forget that your frunk is open and try to drive away.

Last edited: