New from Westchester County NY -Thinking about getting a Tesla

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

FogNoggin

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lifelong ICE driver...looking forward to learning more and more about these cars to make an informed decision.
Quit thinking, go get one!

Seriously though, just drive one for a day and all your questions will be answered. I'm certain you could find an owner in your area who would love to give you a drive.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Quit thinking, go get one!

Seriously though, just drive one for a day and all your questions will be answered. I'm certain you could find an owner in your area who would love to give you a drive.
Going to go to a Tesla Dealership here in Westchester tomorrow to drive one. It wont replace my ZR1, but maybe my Wrangler.

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lifelong ICE driver...looking forward to learning more and more about these cars to make an informed decision.
The supposed negatives such as the touchscreen go away as you live with the car. Then you realize that asking for more knobs and buttons is like asking to bring back the Blackberry and its keyboard. I have owned some really nice cars including an NSX. I never thought about latency until I drove a Tesla and realized what it was like to have torque always on tap.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Going to go to a Tesla Dealership here in Westchester tomorrow to drive one. It wont replace my ZR1, but maybe my Wrangler.
The ZR-1 is a very fast car, but the instant torque of a Tesla beats every car made-- at least for the first second or two. The time it takes an ICE to downshift and get the RPMs up really hurts their performance. Oh and the handling is incredible because of the very low center of gravity with the batteries and motor(s) beneath you.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Hold that thought...
OK so....went to Tesla in Mt Kisco NY, brought my 14 year old daughter and two of my friends, both car guys, one has a 1LE Camaro and the other has a Lamborghini Huracan, so we were all entering the day curious but slightly skeptical.
I ended up taking the car out twice, and both times they let me take the car out without a salesperson, took about a 20 min drive each time.

The supposed negatives such as the touchscreen go away as you live with the car. Then you realize that asking for more knobs and buttons is like asking to bring back the Blackberry and its keyboard. I have owned some really nice cars including an NSX. I never thought about latency until I drove a Tesla and realized what it was like to have torque always on tap.
The ZR-1 is a very fast car, but the instant torque of a Tesla beats every car made-- at least for the first second or two. The time it takes an ICE to downshift and get the RPMs up really hurts their performance. Oh and the handling is incredible because of the very low center of gravity with the batteries and motor(s) beneath you.
Funny you mention knobs...that was the one thing on my test drive that initially bothered me. I went to turn down the music and was looking for just one knob, there is the roller on the left of the steering wheel so I guess its easy enough.
As for torque, yes the Model X was great to drive but my ZR1 has 715 ft lbs of torque in a 3,500 lb car with 900lbs of downforce and its a 7 Speed which is way more fun than any auto car, even one with just one gear.
Also I thought the lack of engine and exhaust noise would bother me as my ZR1 is LOUD but I really wasn't bothered by it.

fellow westchester-ian - welcome. you won't regret... best purchase ever...
Conclusions:
The Model X is fun and build quality is better than I expected, I love all the bells and whistles. The instant torque is great and did impress all of us. We went on the highway and acceleration and handling at high speed was surprising.
I am more leaning towards buying a Model X than not, now just to figure whether I want the performance model or the Long Range one. I also need to solidify my order for the 2020 C8 Corvette first (as I've had too many Vettes to mention and if I don't have a line of sight to a Vette I think Id go crazy...yeah I know...first world problems).
If all things align then I might trade in the ZR1 and the 2018 Wrangler and get the Model X. I guess I should have driven the Long Range model, I might do that this week just to understand the difference.

The last thing that makes me hesitate just a bit is the lack of financing options and not knowing if the cars hold their value (which is why there are not many financing options) and also depends on what they offer me for the cars, I could sell the ZR1 privately but then I lose the sales tax benefits.

All that to say, I think I will figure all that out and be a Tesla guy sooner rather than later....we shall see....

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Conclusions:
The Model X is fun and build quality is better than I expected, I love all the bells and whistles. The instant torque is great and did impress all of us. We went on the highway and acceleration and handling at high speed was surprising.
I am more leaning towards buying a Model X than not, now just to figure whether I want the performance model or the Long Range one. I also need to solidify my order for the 2020 C8 Corvette first (as I've had too many Vettes to mention and if I don't have a line of sight to a Vette I think Id go crazy...yeah I know...first world problems).
If all things align then I might trade in the ZR1 and the 2018 Wrangler and get the Model X. I guess I should have driven the Long Range model, I might do that this week just to understand the difference.

The last thing that makes me hesitate just a bit is the lack of financing options and not knowing if the cars hold their value (which is why there are not many financing options) and also depends on what they offer me for the cars, I could sell the ZR1 privately but then I lose the sales tax benefits.

All that to say, I think I will figure all that out and be a Tesla guy sooner rather than later....we shall see....
Teslas tend to hold their value better than most but realize that all upper end cars depreciate much later than a Corolla. When the Plaid version comes out there will be a drop. Nothing different than when a new S-Class Mercedes comes out.

As you mentioned, the knob on the steering wheel works for volume. Putting a volume knob on the console is a waste. You need to go through a year of updates and then you will understand that putting a knob on the console is like putting a knob on an iPhone.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
OK..update....as I have mentioned, I am on the fence and was leaning more towards getting a Tesla than not but the sales experience...or should I say lack thereof is a real turn off...
I sent the info to my sales rep on the two cars I would maybe trade in and got no response, sent a follow up email and called and left a VM with no response...nothing...not even "I received your info and am working on it"
If the experience in the beginning when I'm deciding whether to spend $100+ thousand dollars is like this...how are they going to treat me when I need service....not good....and has me leaning away from getting a Tesla now...I'm used to a different level of customer service...yes even from a Chevrolet dealer....

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Teslas tend to hold their value better than most but realize that all upper end cars depreciate much later than a Corolla. When the Plaid version comes out there will be a drop. Nothing different than when a new S-Class Mercedes comes out.

As you mentioned, the knob on the steering wheel works for volume. Putting a volume knob on the console is a waste. You need to go through a year of updates and then you will understand that putting a knob on the console is like putting a knob on an iPhone.
Some banks dont think they will hold their value or maybe more correctly, dont know at this point...companies such as Woodside Credit that specialize in Exotic and Collector car financing (to give you an idea you can finance anything from a Corvette to a Lamborghini, Porsche etc) will not finance Teslas and there are other types of financing that you can get with almost any car (such as Balloon options) that you cant get with a Tesla due to the lack of belief in a stable residual value...

I could get over the knob...as a matter of fact at this point thats the least of my issues with Tesla...

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK..update....as I have mentioned, I am on the fence and was leaning more towards getting a Tesla than not but the sales experience...or should I say lack thereof is a real turn off...
I sent the info to my sales rep on the two cars I would maybe trade in and got no response, sent a follow up email and called and left a VM with no response...nothing...not even "I received your info and am working on it"
If the experience in the beginning when I'm deciding whether to spend $100+ thousand dollars is like this...how are they going to treat me when I need service....not good....and has me leaning away from getting a Tesla now...I'm used to a different level of customer service...yes even from a Chevrolet dealer....
That is definitely frustrating and a growing pain of stretching sales/service thinly with a hugely expanding fleet of affordable cars.
If it's any consolation for most cars you don't wanna use Tesla for the trade in - they only offer it out of necessity and will hardcore lowball you since it just goes to auction, not a used car lot. Private sale is far better in most circumstances.