New from PA

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

bsunny

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ordered first EV, cybrtrk. Currently, my DD is a Tundra. I want to learn as much as I can until I get my Tesla.
You’ve come to the right place, IMHO. You'll find differing opinions on everything TESLA/EV/etc. given with helpful intent by people who will likely end up feeling like family to you. I’ve learned so much here that has helped me improve my experience with my M3 along the way. No question is too “newbie” to ask (but @TrevP and Mods would like me to suggest you search to see if it’s already been asked and answered first.)
Welcome. ☺️

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Thanks for the welcome. Where I live, charging stations are not very common. I hope it becomes better by the time I get the truck.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for the welcome. Where I live, charging stations are not very common. I hope it becomes better by the time I get the truck.
Keep in mind that you generally don't use public charging stations. You plug your vehicle in at your house every night, and it has a "full tank" every day when you wake up. Electricity cost is about 1/5 the cost of gasoline in western PA, so this is definitely a good way to go economically.

The only time you need to charge away from home is when you're going on a very long trip. In those cases, the only charging stations you care about are Tesla Superchargers. These will charge up the vehicle much more quickly than you can at home, and this is what allows you to take a Tesla on long roadtrips. The cost of these stations is typically somewhere between 1/2 and 1 times the cost of gasoline. They're priced to be reasonable, but high enough to discourage people from using them for all of their charging needs.

Last edited:
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Keep in mind that you generally don't use public charging stations. You plug your vehicle in at your house every night, and it has a "full tank" every day when you wake up. Electricity cost is about 1/5 the cost of gasoline in western PA, so this is definitely a good way to go economically.

The only time you need to charge away from home is when you're going on a very long trip. In those cases, the only charging stations you care about are Tesla Superchargers. These will charge up the vehicle much more quickly than you can at home, and this is what allows you to take a Tesla on long roadtrips. The cost of these stations is typically somewhere between 1/2 and 1 times the cost of gasoline. They're priced to be reasonable, but high enough to discourage people from using them for all of their charging needs.
This is good to know. This is gonna be my first EV and I was worried that the closest charging station is about 40 miles away. I guess if I charge it every night, this won't be an issue.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is good to know. This is gonna be my first EV and I was worried that the closest charging station is about 40 miles away. I guess if I charge it every night, this won't be an issue.
Where in PA are you?

bsunny

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We had “range anxiety” at first but it faded once I realized that. I typically charge to around 83 percent (by default for my daily use; it rarely goes below 50 percent.) I don’t even think about it most days. I simply back into my garage and plug in to a level 2 charger I received for free from my town’s municipal electric company. They provided it with my agreement to keep it connected to WiFi so they can limit charging speed at their peak hours (5-9 PM M-F). This keeps them from having to increase their electric capacity (may be incorrect terminology) just to accommodate additional usage they foresee as more people buy EV’s. I suggest you check with your electric provider to see if there are incentives you can take advantage of.
Also note that there are many charging options. You may want to install an outdoor charger near where you will park your new CT, or consider solar and a Powerwall while you are waiting. Exciting times! ☺️

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I live in a small city about 40 miles south of Erie. I am scheduled to move to a somewhat larger city closer to the NY border in a few months.
Looks like you have a supercharger available within 100 miles of most directions you would travel.
https://supercharge.info/map

1575750800244-png.31031

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
We had “range anxiety” at first but it faded once I realized that. I typically charge to around 83 percent (by default for my daily use; it rarely goes below 50 percent.) I don’t even think about it most days. I simply back into my garage and plug in to a level 2 charger I received for free from my town’s municipal electric company. They provided it with my agreement to keep it connected to WiFi so they can limit charging speed at their peak hours (5-9 PM M-F). This keeps them from having to increase their electric capacity (may be incorrect terminology) just to accommodate additional usage they foresee as more people buy EV’s. I suggest you check with your electric provider to see if there are incentives you can take advantage of.
Also note that there are many charging options. You may want to install an outdoor charger near where you will park your new CT, or consider solar and a Powerwall while you are waiting. Exciting times! ☺️

Cool! That's reassuring.

Unfortunately, neither my city nor the city I am moving to in a few months offer any free charger. Since I have time before CT gets delivered, I am trying to learn as much as I can. I am planning to get the solar panel if offered. Perhaps I could even get away not getting a level 2 charger considering that I don't drive too many miles . . . probably not.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You are right. Being the first time (future) EV owner, I was thinking of it like gas stations. But I guess I don't need them too near since I could change at home.
Bingo.

This is the part that is hard for non-EV owners to understand. There is no need for there to be as many charging stations as there are gas stations. You always charge your car at home, overnight, just like you would a mobile phone. You always have a full tank when you leave for work - every single morning. You never have to make an extra stop to fill up because your tank is getting low. For daily usage, an EV is just so incredibly more convenient than a combustion vehicle.

Another thing that people often ask me is what happens when your stuck for hours due to a traffic accident? They think that an EV will run out of battery more quickly than a car will run out of gasoline. But if an EV is sitting still, then it's not really using any electricity. A combustion vehicle's motor will continue to idle, using up gasoline, but an EV doesn't have that problem.

Last edited: