New EV01 wheels revealed

Ranova

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like they’re designed to be easily removed and added back on.

I’m going to wager a guess that @Mad Hungarian and team are planning to have some purchasable color variations for these aero inserts (aero-serts? 😋) and make a lot of people very happy. 😄
I'll definitely wrap those inserts with matrix black to match my chrome delete from Kenriko

@Mad Hungarian will the center cap be replaceable with the Tesla one?

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll definitely wrap those inserts with matrix black to match my chrome delete from Kenriko

@Mad Hungarian will the center cap be replaceable with the Tesla one?
I was thinking the same thing about Matrix black :)

Yes, the center caps are the same size as the Tesla ones

Has the weight of these been published yet?
21.4 lbs with the inserts (Tesla Aero wheels are 23 lbs with the caps on)

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A flat black/black version available? (I'm considering painting my OEM 18" aeros)
Just the one colour combo for now, we're going to struggle just to supply enough of those for the next 6 months. After that we'll probably poll some colour options.
But the base wheel could easily be Plasti-dipped to give you the desired black-on-black look now.

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like they’re designed to be easily removed and added back on.

I’m going to wager a guess that @Mad Hungarian and team are planning to have some purchasable color variations for these aero inserts (aero-serts? 😋) and make a lot of people very happy. 😄
Initially we're keeping it REAL simple until we get production straightened out, but once everything is humming to our satisfaction we might be able to start looking at some fun colour options.
Our VP of R&D actually liked the Twitter suggestions that we offer sets of real Carbon Fiber inserts. They will likely be insanely expensive, but if he wants to front the development costs (and get me a set to, um, test :)) who am I to say no?

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just the one colour combo for now, we're going to struggle just to supply enough of those for the next 6 months. After that we'll probably poll some colour options.
But the base wheel could easily be Plasti-dipped to give you the desired black-on-black look now.
I can wait. Your track test w/areo covers has me wanting to use mine for long trips. Also, these wheels don't seem to be directional (left/right side specific-either are the areo covers). Is there any evidence that this would be a factor in efficiency? I've always wondered if that would matter.

Last edited:

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can wait. Your track test w/areo covers has me wanting to use mine for long trips. Also, these wheels don't seem to be directional (left/right side specific-either are the ears covers). Is there any evidence that this would be a factor in efficiency? I've always wondered if that would matter.
If one were to design the vehicle's body and chassis specifically to work in concert with a wheel designed to either ingest or extract air flowing over it in such a way that the net result was a reduction in total drag, then yes, directionals would be a benefit. However in the case to the original Tesla Aero the designers chose to go with a "neutral" push type, that is it neither pulls air in from outside nor extracts from underneath the chassis, so there is no need for it to have a specific orientation. When you look at some of the finer details of the Model 3's body like the bumper ducts that direct air over the front wheels it seems like they wanted to create a very neutral, laminal flow in this area so we really didn't want to do anything that would disturb that.
Now could you make a "neutral" wheel that is also directional? Sure, just make mirror-image lefts or rights of either the Tesla Aero or ours. However that does nothing but double the tooling costs and create logistical, sales and maintenance complications. Both OEMs and the aftermarket tried this years ago. I lived the nightmare myself. I don't think any of us want to do it again :oops:.

abrighton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mad Hungarian, these look great. Where/when will they available? Can we buy direct, or do we have to go through a reseller if so, do you know yet who will be reselling them? Would something like Kal-Tire (they have a discount through Tesla Owners of Ontario) be able to order them in?

Also, is there any reason to use these in winter vs. summer or vice versa? Looking for wheels to for my winter tires, need to decide whether to take the aero's and use them for the winter tires and use this on all-seasons or the other way around.

Great job!

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mad Hungarian, these look great. Where/when will they available? Can we buy direct, or do we have to go through a reseller if so, do you know yet who will be reselling them? Would something like Kal-Tire (they have a discount through Tesla Owners of Ontario) be able to order them in?

Also, is there any reason to use these in winter vs. summer or vice versa? Looking for wheels to for my winter tires, need to decide whether to take the aero's and use them for the winter tires and use this on all-seasons or the other way around.

Great job!
Glad you like, thanks for the kind words!
As a manufacturer we don't sell directly but we do have more than 4,000 retailers coast-to-coast who carry our products, you can find a list of the closest ones by just dropping your postal code into our Dealer Finder, and yes, Kal is a customer of ours so that's definitely a possibility.
Note that they may not have this model up on their websites yet as we've just finished the data entry on the inventory link side ourselves, so you may have to call them and have them get in touch with us to get pricing or place an order to reserve them for you.
And if you want to nab one of the first sets I do recommend getting a hold of one of our dealers and placing a reservation, it's looking like we may be a bit short on supply for the first few months as we ramp production (I know, I know, but I swear we didn't do that on purpose just to give you the full Tesla experience :)).

As for which season to use them in?
Always best to use your most efficient wheels in winter so as to counteract the cold range loss, but reading your sig it looks like you already have the OE Aeros so there's not any big difference there.
I'd lean towards ours in the summer where you'd have an easier time keeping them clean and shiny to show off your uniqueness. Then again I'm, uh, maybe just a little biased?...;)

slarty

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do you know the size for performance Model 3 with performance upgrade? I think it's 18X8.5 , offset +40, pattern 5X114.3MM, centre bore 64.1MM, but want to make sure I get the right one that fits the hub properly. Does it require a spacer?

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do you know the size for performance Model 3 with performance upgrade? I think it's 18X8.5 , offset +40, pattern 5X114.3MM, centre bore 64.1MM, but want to make sure I get the right one that fits the hub properly. Does it require a spacer?
The perfect fit for a PUO car is 18x8.5 +35 with a stepped 70.2/64.1 center bore as seen on the OE wheel. The +40 offset is what's used on all non-Performance-Upgrade cars. We initially will only be offering the +40 version but it will be available with the correct stepped bore for Performance Upgrade brakes in the first batch. We also offer 5 mm 70.2 mm hubcentric forged spacers if you want to bring the offset back to the OE +35 (that's how my car is setup right now).
However we just got the green light to produce a dedicated +35 part number for the PUO car which should be available in a later production run, I'm thinking late November or December.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@Mad Hungarian,

Ian...have you released anything on the Stats/Numbers from your track testing? With inserts and Sans inserts?Or the video (which I may have missed)!

Ski

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mad Hungarian,

Ian...have you released anything on the Stats/Numbers from your track testing? With inserts and Sans inserts?Or the video (which I may have missed)!

Ski
I did on the podcast, see link a little ways back up the page.
I'm holding this info hostage there so we get more listens between now and when the full documentary video drops.
(Hint: You can opt to skip ahead if you like to 29:30 for the testing story. But you didn't hear that from me :))

abrighton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Glad you like, thanks for the kind words!
As a manufacturer we don't sell directly but we do have more than 4,000 retailers coast-to-coast who carry our products, you can find a list of the closest ones by just dropping your postal code into our Dealer Finder, and yes, Kal is a customer of ours so that's definitely a possibility.
Note that they may not have this model up on their websites yet as we've just finished the data entry on the inventory link side ourselves, so you may have to call them and have them get in touch with us to get pricing or place an order to reserve them for you.
And if you want to nab one of the first sets I do recommend getting a hold of one of our dealers and placing a reservation, it's looking like we may be a bit short on supply for the first few months as we ramp production (I know, I know, but I swear we didn't do that on purpose just to give you the full Tesla experience :)).
Just placed an order with the local Kal-Tire in Whitby... the guy on the other end said he just processed another order for these an hour ago, I think you'll be sold out very fast ;).

Just need to decide whether to put these on for winters or summers..........................................................such a hard choice.

P.S. he seems to have them listed in their database as EVO+ or EVO Plus... so was a bit confused, but he described the look and sounds like it's the same wheel.