New EV owner with many basic questions

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Hey guys, soon to take my first delivery of an EV, and confused overall with the charging aspect.
1) does the Tesla come with any charging cables or anything? From what I can see on the website they are charging extra for the charger.
2) I have someone recommended through Tesla coming to install something in my garage for $300. I know this is normal, but what exactly is he installing? Just an outlet? I’m guessing I need the actual cable or charger from Tesla itself, right?
3) The installer said he’s doing 14-50 Nem or something, I’m going to assume that’s good unless someone tells me otherwise.

Ugh I’m so stressed over all of this, I didn’t realize how difficult this part would be. If someone could break it down, I would really appreciate it.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey guys, soon to take my first delivery of an EV, and confused overall with the charging aspect.
1) does the Tesla come with any charging cables or anything? From what I can see on the website they are charging extra for the charger.
2) I have someone recommended through Tesla coming to install something in my garage for $300. I know this is normal, but what exactly is he installing? Just an outlet? I’m guessing I need the actual cable or charger from Tesla itself, right?
3) The installer said he’s doing 14-50 Nem or something, I’m going to assume that’s good unless someone tells me otherwise.

Ugh I’m so stressed over all of this, I didn’t realize how difficult this part would be. If someone could break it down, I would really appreciate it.
The Tesla will come with the mobile connector, like this. It has a NEMA 14-50 adapter so it will work perfectly with the outlet you are going to get installed.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

1) Yes, the car comes with what's called a "mobile connector". It has two adapters - one lets you plug into a regular outlet (aka NEMA 5-15), and another that lets you plug into a high power outlet (NEMA 14-50). You can buy additional mobile connectors on the website, but you don't need to.

2 & 3) He's installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet. This lets you charge your car at a higher rate, as well as more efficiently compared to using a regular outlet.

It sounds like you're in good shape. :cool:

Last edited:

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@garsh, +1. My car also came with a J1772 adapter with the UMC, though purchasing a separate kit from Tesla does not include the J1772. Since I am still using the AeroVironment EVSE that I installed when I got my LEAF back in early 2012, that adapter is required for me and I’m glad it was included.

Vidya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@garsh, +1. My car also came with a J1772 adapter with the UMC, though purchasing a separate kit from Tesla does not include the J1772. Since I am still using the AeroVironment EVSE that I installed when I got my LEAF back in early 2012, that adapter is required for me and I’m glad it was included.
I didnt get J1772 adapter with my Model 3 kit. Are you sure it will be included?. Website also showing that it will be included in every tesla

Impatient

Country
Country
The J1772 adapter is included with the car, not with the mobile charger. A subtle distinction (unless you happen to buy a second mobile charger, like my friend did, and expect to get a second J1772 adapter).

Vidya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The J1772 adapter is included with the car, not with the mobile charger. A subtle distinction (unless you happen to buy a second mobile charger, like my friend did, and expect to get a second J1772 adapter).
YES, you are correct. its included with the car, and I have one in my mobile kit. I was seeing the Tesla website and didn't find one with separate mobile connector bundle.

Watzon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congratulations! I’ve had my M3-RWD for 3 months and, frankly, never enjoyed driving a car as much as this one (and I’ve leased German cars for 20-years). Anyway, as to your question: if you install the NEMA 14-50 be aware that many electricians install the outlet upside down and the mobile connector goose necks when plugged in. The mobile connector should hang straight down. I tried using the mobile connector at first, but the mobile connector is designed to be mobile not permanent. I found that constantly plugging/unplugging was a chore. I finally installed the Tesla wall charger. In my opinion, its worth the $500. Another issue you may encounter is getting Homelink to automatically open/close the garage door. Homelink is notoriously finicky no matter what car. Installing a new battery in the clicker before linking seems to help, but you may need to try linking 2-3 times. Finally, recording via front facing camera: many owners report problems with corrupt files appearing soon after installing the thumb drive. An X appears on the screen icon indicating inoperably. This is likely due to slow a write speed of the thumb drive. I use a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32G (SDCZ43-032G-GAM46) which has a reported write speed of 60/mbs and have had no problems. Best wishes and happy motoring!

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the Tesla charger is worth it just for the reduction in hassle. I keep the kit that came with my car in the car so I won't forget it on a trip. I don't have to plug and unplug a cable or risk leaving my cable at the house.

JeopardE

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the Tesla charger is worth it just for the reduction in hassle. I keep the kit that came with my car in the car so I won't forget it on a trip. I don't have to plug and unplug a cable or risk leaving my cable at the house.
Depends on the types of trips you take. I've done road trips to Austin, San Antonio and Dallas and left my UMC at home each time, never needed. Tesla's supercharger network and destination charging covers all I need.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Depends on the types of trips you take. I've done road trips to Austin, San Antonio and Dallas and left my UMC at home each time, never needed. Tesla's supercharger network and destination charging covers all I need.
While I haven't taken any long trips in my recently delivered Model 3, I feel the same way regarding just leaving the UMC at home. It seems the only time we'd need it is if we are nearly drained and the only charging available is J1772 or other non-Tesla formats.

Vidya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I haven't taken any long trips in my recently delivered Model 3, I feel the same way regarding just leaving the UMC at home. It seems the only time we'd need it is if we are nearly drained and the only charging available is J1772 or other non-Tesla formats.
You can keep J1772 adapter in your glovebox. no need to carry the whole bundle all the time.

Vidya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did a couple of long trips and I never needed charge other than supercharging.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can keep J1772 adapter in your glovebox. no need to carry the whole bundle all the time.
That is what I'm doing, the main UMC with Nema 14-50 adapter in the house, everything else in the bag in the bottom well of the trunk.

ChristianZ

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is what I'm doing, the main UMC with Nema 14-50 adapter in the house, everything else in the bag in the bottom well of the trunk.
I did that for 3 months and then had the Tesla Wall Connector installed outside next to my garage door. Now I don't have to run a cable under the garage door. leaving my mobile connector at home. I have read it is bad to repeatedly keep disconnecting and reconnecting the mobile connector . It has been amazing to just plug in and get fast speeds at home.