New Commissions for Selling Performance Model 3

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Per Electrek, the sales teams at Tesla stores will now collectively receive a $300 bonus for every Performance Model 3 that they sell:

https://electrek.co/2018/07/08/tesla-stop-anti-selling-model-3-perofrmance/

My takeaways:

1. Tesla must already feel very good about the margins on the Performance Model 3, even though production is just starting to ramp, and even after the price cut. More confirmation that the Performance Model 3 is a critical piece of the Q3 profitability push.

2. Future AWD order-ers: prepare to be upsold! (The email that existing AWD purchasers received at the end of June from "Inside Sales" contained this little gem: "We also made changes to the Performance Model 3, reducing the price and allowing for greater customizability, and wanted to ensure you were notified in case these updates affect your purchase decision.")

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wonder if margins are enough that Tesla can offer a good buy back on anyone that has already received a rwd long range. They can think of it as kbb + loyalty bonus + competitor bonus (since my bmw M3 would qualify as a competitor)

Cause if they gave me a really good offer to upgrade to a performance model I’d jump on it.

Could be a win for Tesla cause that means another customer buying a performance mode. Also they can re sell the rwd long range as a cpo to anyone that doesn’t want to wait anymore... Tesla would probably have better luck selling my long range model 3 at top dollar vs me selling it myself.

Come on Elon? Let’s do this... buy back my fully loaded model 3 for $50k + $5k loyalty (we can use our red model 3 toy cars as proof to get the bonus)+ $5k competitor= $60k

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@PandaM3 lol. This is where I’d bring the old :rainbow: button back... ;)

Don’t forget you can also just resell your car to any interested party without T≡SLA’s intervention. Might even make more doing it directly... :cool:

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sooo, since I already bought mine, how do I give credit to the sales staff at the closest store? They were great getting me a MS & MX test drive last year to help sell me the car, as well as taking much time to answer any questions and just geek out in general.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wonder if margins are enough that Tesla can offer a good buy back on anyone that has already received a rwd long range. They can think of it as kbb + loyalty bonus + competitor bonus (since my bmw M3 would qualify as a competitor)

Cause if they gave me a really good offer to upgrade to a performance model I’d jump on it.

Could be a win for Tesla cause that means another customer buying a performance mode. Also they can re sell the rwd long range as a cpo to anyone that doesn’t want to wait anymore... Tesla would probably have better luck selling my long range model 3 at top dollar vs me selling it myself.

Come on Elon? Let’s do this... buy back my fully loaded model 3 for $50k + $5k loyalty (we can use our red model 3 toy cars as proof to get the bonus)+ $5k competitor= $60k
Hmm. Seems maybe a titch greedy to have a Model 3 and want a better one...

People say they hate buying cars, but really they hate selling them just as much.

Probably why many people lease. They'll pay extra not to bother.

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
hmm, this makes me all the more curious about the pay structure at the stores. They aren't on commission, but instead they get a "bonus" for selling a car. Got it. In the car world, you'd call that bonus a SPIF (sales performance incentive fund) that would be extra commission to sell old age or whatever units that need to move. That's normally because the negotiated price will for sure be down at a minimum commission, so a SPIF is an extra financial incentive because sales knows they will end up with a mini (minimum commission). C/N Tesla isn't selling nearly as many as they'd expected if they are doing this.