Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

New Cheaper Wall Connector Released by Tesla

8K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  cle 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I'm a n00b to all this, but I know they make an adapter. Does anyone know how much power you can get through a J1172.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/sae-j1772'

EDIT: my bad. You're asking the opposite. I'm pretty sure you can't charge other cars with a tesla charger. There are few companies out there making third party products that claim to be the "ultimate charging stations" Has anyone used those?

#7 ·
To work with multiple types of cars i'd do the standard NEMA 14-50 that Tesla recommends for most people. The HPWC is nice and especially so now if you have more than 1 Tesla in the family as its smart to let you plug both in and do the right thing, but if you have another EV type or are considering one there's nothing like a common standard like 14-50.

#8 ·
I am planning on buying & having the WC installed probably this year while the charging infrastructure tax credit is still around. BUT then I came across a banner ad for Plugless and wondered if there has been any talk of tesla doing something similar on future models. Could a different home charging system be behind the price drop on the WCs?
I already was thinking of possibly having the WC wired up to a 14-50 plug so in the event I move, or god-forbid, look at a different EV car manufacturer in the future I am set, but maybe not having the WC hardwired prior to the M3's second reveal would be smart.
thoughts? am I reading too much between the lines?

#9 ·
I am planning on buying & having the WC installed probably this year while the charging infrastructure tax credit is still around. BUT then I came across a banner ad for Plugless and wondered if there has been any talk of tesla doing something similar on future models. Could a different home charging system be behind the price drop on the WCs?
I already was thinking of possibly having the WC wired up to a 14-50 plug so in the event I move, or god-forbid, look at a different EV car manufacturer in the future I am set, but maybe not having the WC hardwired prior to the M3's second reveal would be smart.
None of my charging is "Tesla Specific" per se.

We have 1 J1772 (30A) hard wired EVSE that was installed when such incentives was a direct grant, 2 NEMA 14-50 and a NEMA 6-50.

Back when Tesla made the 6-50 adapter for the UMC, that was most flexible because third party plug capable EVSEs used this plug, but NEMA 14-50 has a few capable EVSEs now.

That way your future proofed.

#11 ·
@MelindaV,

No you're not reading too much between the lines as I have the same questions. :) I have been thinking of installing the Tesla HPWC as well with 100A breaker in order to get the tax credit as well....I believe it expires in December 2016 and am not confident or sure it will be extended or renewed. So we're on the same page there.

As far as the price drop on the HPWC I don't think it's so much that it's the result of a different or newer home charging system (although that's entirely possibly) as it is making it more available to "the masses" in preparation for the Model 3 release.

I do like the idea of having the HPWC wired up to a 14-50 so in the event of a move or another EV you're set. But I don't know if it (wiring) can handle the amperage unless you can just put a higher amperage breaker in (electricians please chime in here). So I wouldn't mind advice from S owners who have both already had these questions and addressed them and crossed that bridge already.

I have several contacts at PLUGLESS that I have been in contact with and although I cannot post our correspondence here due to confidentiality I can say that they are not sure when they can release Plugless for the Model 3. When they create the Plugless Adapters they design them to fit seamlessly with each model. They don't know if the current vehicle adapter for the Model S will be easily adaptable or fit the Model 3 until it's released to market and they can get it to engineering to assess it.

So they are looking at it and do plan to have Plugless adapted for the Model 3 at some point. How long the R&D takes for that is anyone's guess.

Ski

#12 ·
The more I've thought about it, the 50A circuit charging speed is more than speedy enough for me, so even if we were to hear before the end of the year that the Model 3 could have a dual charger option, I likely would stick with a WC with 50A (14-50).

There is a thread on the testamotorclub (toward the bottom of post #1) with info on wiring a cord to the WC. Essentially, by NEC (National Electrical Code) a cord up to 12 inches can be added with the proper attachments, wire gauge, etc. "IF" in the future, Tesla re-words their install instructions to be worded to clearly state the WC is to only be hardwired, it by code would need to be. As the instructions are currently worded, a 'permanently installed cord' is permitted.

#16 ·
Totally agree here. I wouldn't go Tesla-specific even if I have no thoughts of another make of car.

#15 ·
Once you get 1 EV... The second is soon to follow.

considering our Roadster and S are 2 and 3... (and our two 3s will be 4 and 5)...

Just saying, if you're getting it on your return anyway, two 50A plugs will probably be the same as 1 installed hardwired EVSE.

#17 ·
That chaining feature can really help save wiring costs. However, that means only one vehicle at a time can charge at full power...

I recommend the same thing for most EV owners. Install a NEMA 14-50 if you're using Tesla vehicles, the UMC can plug into those and provide up to 40A (about 25 miles per hour on a Model S) recharge. A lot of 3rd party J1772 plug products can plug into a NEMA 6-50, but Tesla has since cancelled their NEMA 6-50 adapter. I think the Electric Motor Werks guys have a J1772 that plug into a NEMA 14-50.
OK... I modified our garage... So, the recommendation sort of still stays the same... But with changes...

The new thread for my blogpost.

#19 ·
Any Model 3 reservation holders get their WC yet? Got mine installed last week as I wanted to take advantage of the 2016 tax credit, which I understand is something like 30% up to $1,000. I reaaaaally hope I'm not going to have to wait 2-3 years to use this!
View attachment 760
How many amps do you have the HPWC set for? Also, might suggest getting a Model S or X owner to test out your installation.

#20 ·
48A. Based on this email from Tesla:
On Oct 19, 2016, at 1:48 PM, Colin Flynn <cflynn@tesla.com> wrote:

Hi Chris,

Yes the Wall Connector will be compatible with Model 3, what we don't know at this point is what the maximum amperage draw will be for Model 3. Model S and X currently have a maximum draw of 48 amps which is upgradable to 72 amps, they have a bigger battery than the Model 3 so it is unlikely that the Model 3 will be able to draw more than 48 amps

Colin Flynn | Associate Manager, Home Charging Installation
3500 Deer Creek Road, Palo Alto CA, 94304
p: 650.681.5325 | cflynn@tesla.com

#21 ·
48A. Based on this email from Tesla:
On Oct 19, 2016, at 1:48 PM, Colin Flynn <cflynn@tesla.com> wrote:

Hi Chris,

Yes the Wall Connector will be compatible with Model 3, what we don't know at this point is what the maximum amperage draw will be for Model 3. Model S and X currently have a maximum draw of 48 amps which is upgradable to 72 amps, they have a bigger battery than the Model 3 so it is unlikely that the Model 3 will be able to draw more than 48 amps

Colin Flynn | Associate Manager, Home Charging Installation
3500 Deer Creek Road, Palo Alto CA, 94304
p: 650.681.5325 | cflynn@tesla.com
So you have it wired with a 60 A breaker and he unit operating st 48 Amps?

That should recover around 30 miles an hour for charging...

Nice.

#22 ·
Thanks, guys, great stuff!
Still have ~two years to go, I imagine, yet this is the kind of advanced knowledge I need to build up!
So, without the tax credits, how much did this 'cheaper' T≡SLA wall connector for home use cost then? And installation? Of course, not sure how much it will be two years from now in € in SW France but at least it is a reference!!
Have a pleasant day!

#23 ·
Thanks, guys, great stuff!
Still have ~two years to go, I imagine, yet this is the kind of advanced knowledge I need to build up!
So, without the tax credits, how much did this 'cheaper' T≡SLA wall connector for home use cost then? And installation? Of course, not sure how much it will be two years from now in € in SW France but at least it is a reference!!
Have a pleasant day!
The Tesla connector in the EU is NOT the same connector as in the US and Japan.

EU Tesla connectors use something similar to the Mennekes connector

#27 · (Edited)
#30 ·
I noticed that since Tesla have confirmed Irish showrooms appearing in the new year, they have announced a price for the wall connector here. I was checking before and there was no page for the wall charger in relation to Republic of Ireland:

"The Tesla Wall Connector can be purchased at your Service Centre, priced at € 465 (2.5m cable length) and € 512 (7.5m cable length)"

#31 ·
In The Netherlands it's almost the same: "De Tesla Wall Connector is in onze Service Centers verkrijgbaar voor 562 EUR (2.5 m kabel) of 619 EUR (7.5 m kabel), inclusief 21 % BTW."
BTW = VAT = deductable for anyone with a business. (VAT % differs per EU country.)

Reactions: Michael Russo
#33 ·
About compatibility:
In Europe, tesla uses a type 2 connector (also for the Supercharger). So with a tesla wall connector, you can charge a Nissan Leaf as well as a Tesla.
Normally, the type 2 connector does not allow dc charging, but with the Supercharger, tesla somehow can reconfigure the connectors in the vehicle, depending on the charger (ac at home or dc at a Supercharger)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.