New casting method for Model Y official discussion

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Good article from InsideEVs on an engineer's take on the Model Y body castings.

https://insideevs.com/news/400574/tesla-model-y-bigger-cast-parts/amp/

I'm VERY interested in seeing what they've done and MORE interested in the beast of a machine they developed to do this.

What are your thoughts? Yes I know we'l get the usual "what about repairs" discussion :)

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From what was described, it sounds like the aim is to manufacture the Model Y (and possibly Model 3 in the future) with fewer steps, and less waste. Stamping steel and aluminum is normally a labor and time intensive and wasteful process.

I'm not really concerned about repairs yet, because for the most part it looks like the "retail parts" they're creating are essentially the same, just made much more simply. I think where there might be some difficulty is when these higher-strength frame parts have to be cut and welded by higher-end body shops or those who restore salvaged cars.

Garlan Garner

Red Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As soon as I heard this I instantly wondered what this will do concerning accidents.

I was in a bad accident about a year ago in my Model 3. I was hit from the back.

My car was initially listed as "totaled". Then I told them about FSD and other things that came with my car and it was "untotaled".

All of the parts were ordered and it was fixed to showroom status.

I wonder if my car could have been repairable if the entire rear section was a cast. A single cast won't have parts right?

This is a pic of the Tesla Certified Body Shop repairing my car. See all of the small parts that make up the rear of my car?

Will a single cast have been repairable?
Will more Tesla's be totaled with a single cast?
Even though it would be easier and cheaper to manufacture....will it be easier and cheaper for the owners in an accident?

no-plate-jpg.33909

20190730_151552-jpg.33911

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wonder if my car could have been repairable if the entire rear section was a cast. A single cast won't have parts right?
The rear cast does not include the "trunk" section. There are extensions that attach to the cast that will take the brunt of any rear-end collision and bend in order to help dissipate the energy of a collision. You can see them in the picture you included above - they're slightly darker than the hardened structure between the wheels. This will preserve the cast part, which is needed to be strong to prevent cabin intrusion during an accident.

If you're in a collision that's strong enough to bend the highlighted portions shown below, whether it's the multi-piece Model 3 or the cast piece in the Model Y, then the car is definitely totaled. There's little chance of repairing structure damage that bad.