New battery module design

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

RoadToLevel5

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Assuming the SR gets the new battery technology, do you think it would get more range than 220 miles or just be a lighter car than what's been published?

Musk during investor conference call:
“We came up with a new design that achieves the same outcome, that’s actually lighter, better, cheaper and we will be introducing that around the end of this year – probably reach volume production on that in Q1 or something. That will make the car lighter, better, and cheaper and achieve a higher range.”

https://electrek.co/2018/08/14/tesla-model-3-base-price-coming-new-battery-module-design/

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Assuming the SR gets the new battery technology, do you think it would get more range than 220 miles or just be a lighter car than what's been published?

Musk during investor conference call:
“We came up with a new design that achieves the same outcome, that’s actually lighter, better, cheaper and we will be introducing that around the end of this year – probably reach volume production on that in Q1 or something. That will make the car lighter, better, and cheaper and achieve a higher range.”

https://electrek.co/2018/08/14/tesla-model-3-base-price-coming-new-battery-module-design/
based on the quote from Elon, I'd say they plan to use fewer cells to get to the planned capacity (hence the lighter), so doubt they will increase the mileage, just able to do it with less.

njkode

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Based on this, if they put the same new battery design in the LR future LR 3's should be able to get more range.
I guess those of use who will not get the new design will lose out some :(

Tom Bodera

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Based on this, if they put the same new battery design in the LR future LR 3's should be able to get more range.
I guess those of use who will not get the new design will lose out some :(
Or change the voltage parameters on the cells. This will require less cells for SR and LR but may add range to existing LR's through software. May not be all gloom.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you look at the Tesla site it indicates standard range is now 215-220, not just 220.

RoadToLevel5

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
based on the quote from Elon, I'd say they plan to use fewer cells to get to the planned capacity (hence the lighter), so doubt they will increase the mileage, just able to do it with less.
If the planned battery capacity (50 kWh) remains the same while the weight drops, the range ought to increase.

The new battery tech should make its way into all models at some point, resulting in either increased range or smaller capacity batteries being utilized to maintain range.

A lot of details left out in his comments.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
If the planned battery capacity (50 kWh) remains the same while the weight drops, the range ought to increase.

The new battery tech should make its way into all models at some point, resulting in either increased range or smaller capacity batteries being utilized to maintain range.
I think this is just a small incremental improvement, nothing that would reduce the weight to the degree necessary to improve the rated range.

mt.west.ev

Country
Country
Pure speculation ..... mingled with perhaps a little hope.

Early on, prior to production, Tesla announced the model 3 with 220 mile range for #35k, and for #44k a 310 mile vehicle ,
Since sales commented, the #35k SR has been withheld from the market; meanwhile competition has increased; federal tax incentives will soon be halved; and battery technology has continued to be developed.

Looking at the Model S .... (not sure about the variants), but they were sold in something like 40, 60, 75, and 100 battery configurations. Same basic automobile, but with mostly different batteries. (plus some were computer locked).

A $35k Tesla is a myth .... not profitable, and Tesla shows little interest in selling such a vehicle .... and would likely prefer that buyers forget about past promotions of such a vehicle.

Might Tesla (1Q or 2nd Q 2019) sell a basic Model 3 automobile with any of the add-on options, including battery variants from say, 55 to perhaps up to 100, with corresponding milage and cost enhancements?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Early on, prior to production, Tesla announced the model 3 with 220 mile range for #35k, and for #44k a 310 mile vehicle ,
Since sales commented, the #35k SR has been withheld from the market; meanwhile competition has increased; federal tax incentives will soon be halved; and battery technology has continued to be developed.

Looking at the Model S .... (not sure about the variants), but they were sold in something like 40, 60, 75, and 100 battery configurations. Same basic automobile, but with mostly different batteries. (plus some were computer locked).

A $35k Tesla is a myth .... not profitable, and Tesla shows little interest in selling such a vehicle .... and would likely prefer that buyers forget about past promotions of such a vehicle.

Might Tesla (1Q or 2nd Q 2019) sell a basic Model 3 automobile with any of the add-on options, including battery variants from say, 55 to perhaps up to 100, with corresponding milage and cost enhancements?
Funny thing is that Elon ALWAYS makes good on his promises and I highly doubt this one will be any different. Can't tell you the number of "Experts" who said the original roadster was vaporware and would never see the light of day. Oh, and do you remember that "fake" flamethower tweet that everyone doubted? Lets not even get started on re-usable rockets, The Boring company, Hyperloop, etc. etc.....

I'd be willing to say that by this time next year there will be more $35k Tesla's roaming the streets than anyone could possibly imagine right now.

Just my 2 Cents worth........

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A $35k Tesla is a myth .... not profitable
SOON....

Once Tesla is averaging over 6000 cars/week, then they'll be able to sell the $35k version of the car at a profit. For Q3, I believe Tesla averaged 4300 cars/week. They're not too far away.

I don't understand why anybody here would call it a "myth". It's in development. It's scheduled to start production in the first half of next year. So Tesla is planning on introducing it.

As far as whether or not it's profitable - that's where scale comes into play. It becomes profitable when Tesla can divide their fixed production costs across 6000 vehicles instead of 4300. Did you see Munro's cost analysis on the Model 3? He estimated 30% profit on a First Production car. That's a cost of $34,300, and that includes per-car labor and logistics in addition to materials. A German engineering firm estimated the cost at only $28,000 for First Production. Tesla's costs will also continuously improve as they keep tweaking things. I have no doubt at this point that the $35k version of the Model 3 will end up being extremely profitable for Tesla.

mt.west.ev

Country
Country
garsh - I accept your comments without rebuttal. It was only a thought.

Personally, I am interested in the lower cost, SR battery, but I am willing, and wanting to add to the price and upgraded the interior, and a color other than black. That puts me around $42 -43k .... I hope that is possible.

Last edited:
Country
Country

Every Tesla sold, from the Roadster to the Model S to the Model X, and now the highly optioned versions of the Model 3, is funding the development of the base $35k Model 3 as part of Tesla's Master Plan. Elon Musk went a step further by mentioning plans to develop a $25k mass market car in about 5 years. And I believe, barring any worldwide calamity, that this will come to fruition.

Achieving these milestones while growing/sustaining profit margins usually takes years and billions in capital. Tesla needs to sell the more expensive cars first or the company could literally die from being broke.

Revolutionizing new manufacturing methods using the dreadnought "machine that builds the machine" will take Tesla yet to another level where they should be able to produce new vehicle models with very little capital and very little time. The same fundamental principles used to develop SpaceX's reusable rocket program are prime examples of this achievement and are already being applied to Tesla's current and future manufacturing capabilities. Already we know that the Tesla Semi and Model 3 share the same motor components. EDIT: General Assembly Line 4 “the tent” was lightning fast to build from the ground up to produce thousands of Model 3s per week. The $35k base Model 3 shall become a reality sometime late this year or early next year. Model Y manufacturing is expected to be vastly improved over Model 3's manufacturing.

So it's reasonable for us Tesla/Elon Musk believers to expect the following in the next few years:
  • lower priced Teslas
  • highest profit margins
  • fastest delivery times
  • highest quality products
And no other manufacturer, automotive or otherwise, will come close to Tesla's innovation.

There's loads of evidence of revolutionary achievements across Elon Musk's companies: SpaceX, Boring Company, Neuralink. I suggest to do some research on those. Hopefully it would raise excitement rather than bring forth criticism.

Last edited: