NEMA 6-50 with 40A service

Milo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My current EVSE is a Siemens 32A charger that I use for my LEAF. It is fed from a 40A NEMA 6-50 outlet. I'd like to use the UMC that comes with my Model 3 (ordered, awaiting VIN), and I see that Tesla sells an adapter. Can I use my current outlet with an adapter, or will I need to upgrade to 50A service?

I know I can use the current EVSE, but I'd just as soon get rid of it when I sell the LEAF and use the Tesla cable that comes with the car.

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A 50 amp breaker is needed with the original 40 amp UMC. The one that now comes with the Model 3 provides up to 32 amps. A 6-50 outlet and a 40 amp breaker are sufficient for 32 amps.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A 50 amp breaker is needed with the original 40 amp UMC. The one that now comes with the Model 3 provides up to 32 amps. A 6-50 outlet and a 40 amp breaker are sufficient for 32 amps.
The original could use UP TO a 50A breaker... it also could run off a 110V 15A outlet and everything in between

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
dm3 is correct.
Your current EVSE is fine for use with a Tesla, using the J1772 adapter that comes with the car. If you wanted to get rid of the Siemens EVSE and use the UMC plugged into the 6-50, you could do so also - it would work just fine once you bought the Tesla 6-50 adapter.
You've got no problems - get out there and grin.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I use the mobile charger that came with the car in a NEMA 14-50 outlet that is rated the same as your 6-50.
The car charges at 32A, the max rate for the mobile charger.
If you have at least a 40A circuit breaker for the outlet, you're fine.

Country
Country
I'll just add that I plan to do the same thing - I have a 40A cooktop circuit that I plan to have repurposed for the Tesla, since our range is gas. The house is old and has 3 wires for that circuit, which means I have to go with the 6-50 instead of the 4-wire 14-50 Tesla typically recommends. Either way, it should charge at the max rate the mobile charger allows, so it's really the best you can get without going with the sexy Tesla wall charger.