NEMA 14-50 Pass-Through Meter

WonkoTheSane

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Am I crazy, or shouldn't there be a pass-through device I can plug into my NEMA 14-50, then plug a device into it, to see power throughput? Clearly I have no understanding of electricity or wiring or any of that.

I don't want to replace my NEMA 14-50 with an OpenEVSE or other charger.

I understand that I can get power information from my Model 3 but I thought such a simple device would exist.

WonkoTheSane

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, I looked at options which is why I specified "pass-through". If it is too involved I'll just rely on Tezlab or Telsafi or something like that.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You could probably build your own DIY one with $75 in parts, the real question is what do you want it for?

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
240 volts @ 40 amps is not something that Walmart tends to have on their shelves. You may find one, but it's probably not going to be a cute little display, more like something a cubic foot in size. It's not something that many people would ever use.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay, this is what I use connected to my 14-50, it's less than $20.

Voltage/Current meter

I installed my own sub panel to house the breaker dedicated to charging the Tesla, also moved 3 other breakers from the main panel to make more room there.

The meter accumulates the kilowatt used and I reset every end of month. Simple division gets you the average for the month. Check the diagram for the meter for wiring. Simple and effective.

Avid

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is the one I have,

DROK

I like it better than the monochrome LED display and the kwh can be reset, I reset mine once a month.

ATechGuy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay, this is what I use connected to my 14-50, it's less than $20.

Voltage/Current meter

I installed my own sub panel to house the breaker dedicated to charging the Tesla, also moved 3 other breakers from the main panel to make more room there.

The meter accumulates the kilowatt used and I reset every end of month. Simple division gets you the average for the month. Check the diagram for the meter for wiring. Simple and effective.
Amazon description says 50hz, not 60?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Amazon description says 50hz, not 60?
Note: this meter is only used for measure 50Hz city electricity, it will be destroyed if used to measure square wave, output of inverter and modified sine wave circuit.

I don't think that "50Hz" is the important part here. They're saying that it's only guaranteed to work with a fairly clean sine wave.

Yeah, it's just a typo. Here's their website:

Digital Tester 4in1 AC Voltmeter/Ammeter/Power Meter/Energy Meter Multifunction Monitor Panel Meter/Digital Multimeter + Current Transformer

The multimeter can only work on AC 50-60Hz pure mains supply. Do not use it to measure square wave, inverter output and the corrected sine waves circuits, otherwise the product will burn!