NEMA 14-50 no longer included. available for purchase.

3PHASE

Country
Country
Saw something on Facebook this morning that was concerning about someone who took delivery of a Model 3 at the end of last month, and it didn't include a J1772 adapter. He contacted Tesla shortly after and got mixed messages, even though 2 pages on Tesla's website still say it should be included. So, is the adapter still being included with the car? Is there a parts shortage?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can say with near 100% certainty that Tesla would not stop including this with new cars. J1772 is as close as there is for a North America 'standard' on L2 charging and Tesla would not intentionally exclude their customers from this charging option.
things happen with delivery and as the person who posted on Facebook likely has found out, Tesla's communication (and getting your point thru to them) is not great. This should be included in the UMC storage bag and if that particular owner's was missing, Tesla will provide one.
If there was a shortage, it would show as sold out on this page, which it doesn't.
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/sae-j1772-charging-adapter.html

3PHASE

Country
Country
I can say with near 100% certainty that Tesla would not stop including this with new cars. J1772 is as close as there is for a North America 'standard' on L2 charging and Tesla would not intentionally exclude their customers from this charging option.
things happen with delivery and as the person who posted on Facebook likely has found out, Tesla's communication (and getting your point thru to them) is not great. This should be included in the UMC storage bag and if that particular owner's was missing, Tesla will provide one.
If there was a shortage, it would show as sold out on this page, which it doesn't.
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/sae-j1772-charging-adapter.html
It's a very serious problem if people at service centers or on the phone are saying something is no longer included. They are either poorly trained, or do not care about their jobs. Not as serious as the service center problem in Canada where most people were fired. Also, hopefully this is not FUD from the Facebook poster. I don't know who to believe anymore, but I'm glad for your response.

I like many, as a previous EV owner before Tesla, charge my Model 3 at home on an older EVSE using the J1772 adapter.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked the car up earlier this month (April 2019) and the J1772 adapter came with it. However, the delivery manager did mumble something along the lines of "that is a nice freebie because most cars don't come with it anymore..."

3PHASE

Country
Country
I picked the car up earlier this month (April 2019) and the J1772 adapter came with it. However, the delivery manager did mumble something along the lines of "that is a nice freebie because most cars don't come with it anymore..."
Well, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this. I'm glad I put this here because things like this get lost in Facebook posts. Frankly, if they are doing it, I could see it being the Standard or Standard Plus.

3PHASE

Country
Country
You really need to find some more reputable sources for your Tesla news. ;)
I do try to challenge these in Social Media (twitter @mdvolt) when I see them. Perhaps I should just ignore.

I saw something similar yesterday about the #J1772 adapter. Would be nice to have an official statement from @Tesla or confirmation by @Model3Owners or an update to Tesla's presskit, which still lists both: https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/presskit

3PHASE

Country
Country
Others are reporting that NEMA-1450 adapter is being dropped from Standard & Standard +. I have, at least some, good sources.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Trevor’s friend @marc_benton. Apparently there is a corporate e-mail to service/stores.
If you C&P twitter links here, the forum will turn it into an embedding:

Marc is reporting that only the SR/SR+ models will forgo the NEMA 14-50 adapter, implying that all other versions of the car will continue to include it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've updated the thread title to include the NEMA 14-50 as well.

Found this tweet mentioning the J1772 adapter no longer being included:

Alec believes he has information saying that the J1772 adapter will continue to be included, but not the NEMA 14-50:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They've got to make the lower end cars as profitable as they can. I'm sad to see that bag in the trunk "the UMC" is a place they would start to cut, but with the prices they charge for the adapters, that is some good add on business if they don't include them and only sell them aftermarket.

I've got almost 13K miles on 2 cars and have yet to use the J1772 for either one of them. I know it's nice to have, but I just haven't needed it, maybe they have evidence of the same, most people don't need it.

The 14-50 adapter however, that one stings, I'm guessing over 95% of the purchasers charge at home or somewhere using that adapter.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The 14-50 adapter however, that one stings, I'm guessing over 95% of the purchasers charge at home or somewhere using that adapter.
I bet the use rate is a LOT lower.
  • Many people install a wall charger, for various reasons, and use that instead.
  • Many people use an existing outlet rather than have a 14-50 installed, whether it's a 5-20, 6-20, 10-30, etc.
  • People in apartments or with no garage often don't use the UMC at all, at least at home.
For $35, buying a NEMA 14-50 if needed is a pretty inexpensive purchase. A J1772 adapter for $95 hits the wallet a lot harder.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bet the use rate is a LOT lower.
  • Many people install a wall charger, for various reasons, and use that instead.
  • Many people use an existing outlet rather than have a 14-50 installed, whether it's a 5-20, 6-20, 10-30, etc.
  • People in apartments or with no garage often don't use the UMC at all, at least at home.
For $35, buying a NEMA 14-50 if needed is a pretty inexpensive purchase. A J1772 adapter for $95 hits the wallet a lot harder.
Was purely a guess on my part. So here is an interesting thought, Tesla likely knows the exact percentage right? The car knows what type of charger it is connected to and I'm sure that is a statistic that is reported back to the mothership. Maybe the 14-50 % is much lower and maybe it's just cost cutting. Each of us have a different story, but I'd much rather find the 14-50 adapter in my bag than a J1772. That is very different for someone that doesn't charge at home or has access to work charging perhaps.

Both of these should/could be sold at much lower price points, but they are must have items for us. For the J1772 what is in it? Simply an adapter for the juice or is there a chip and some smarts of some sort built in? I'm surprised by now there aren't some knock offs out there. Tesla may have a way of authenticating their parts and maybe not allow juice to flow through a knock off though.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
cutting the 14-50 will likely push people into a wall charger or the corded mobile connector 14-50 wall unit - which is not marketed as being available for the model 3 (pushing more people to the wall charger) and is not available for any Canadian shopper.

sigh.

to be honest, with our second EV not likely to be a Tesla (different thread) i'll get a j1772 EV charger unit installed before i get a Tesla wall charger installed. just the economics of the circuit panel. I can charge both from a non-tesla wall unit, but it costs me a few hundred for an adapter to charge j1772 from my Tesla charger (wall or mobile).