Need VW buyback advice for Model 3

  • SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Ronnie

Active member
Joined
Jun 6, 2017
Messages
27
Location
Riverside CA
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
#1
Hey Everyone!

First off, I want to thank everyone, this is my number 1 goto for anything Model 3/Tesla. This is my first time posting on here and I wanted to get your guys opinion/advice. I am currently a Model 3 Reservation (Jan-Mar) in CA and I am planning on using my VW emissions buyback as my downpayment for my Model 3. I have gotten a little worried about the timing of the 3 with the bottleneck situation and didn't want to lose the value of the VW buyback (was 12,000 and now dropped to 11,000). I am approaching the 100,000 miles on the VW and trying not to have to put too much money for any maintenance. I was looking spending $51,000-56,000 options and all with the Model 3, but I thought about trying to find a new inventory 75KW Model S or even a 60KW (doubt there are any new ones left). Do you think I should try and squeeze the budget for a Model S or keep waiting it out for the 3? Did anyone do the VW backpack? Thanks again everyone!
 

BobLoblaw

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 4, 2017
Messages
237
Location
Kelowna BC
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#2
Hey Ronnie,

I'm in a similar situation, albeit in Canada (2009 TDi, 150,000 kms). As a day 1 reservation holder up here, I'm still showing "Late 2018" for my Model 3. To give you some insight, I came very close to pulling the trigger on a CPO S for exactly the same reasons that you are.

In the end, I decided to wait it out and drag my car out until the 3 is ready. In Canada, we have until Dec 31, 2018 to complete the buyback process (I think Sept 2018 to start it). For me that made the decision a tough one, as I was really hoping to be rid of the car sooner rather than later. We came to our decision because of the difference it would make on our budget, the fact that we'd be getting "older" technology (we were looking at a 2015 70D) and ultimately our comfort zone with spending $85,000 after-tax dollars on a car. To add to it, in British Columbia where we live the EV rebates don't apply to used vehicles, so that would be another 5k down the tubes.

I don't think you'd be disappointed either way, with your timeline I say hold out and get the car you really want at a dollar amount you're comfortable with. I'm at least 6 months outside of your estimates and I'll be waiting. As a side note - I won't be doing anything but the minimum maintenance to limp the TDi along. If the thing starts to die, I'll get rid of it and buy a 20 year old Honda Civic or something similar (or go down to 1 vehicle in the family) to get me through until the 3. It's been reliable so far, so I'm not worried about it though...
 

Rusty

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 9, 2017
Messages
205
Location
Ooltewah TN
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
#3
It comes down to which car do you want? The M3 will be new and last you at least 10 years. I think you will be happier with its range. I have a 2012 MS. I love the car. It is a big car with lots of power. It only goes 240 miles on a full charge. It is five years old and I expect to get five more years out of it. I have driven it to NYC, FL, Shreveport and Gulf Shores. No problems while traveling. Either car is a lot of money and you need to be happy with your choice.
 

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2017
Messages
472
Location
Wildomar, California
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#4
So I had a 2010 TDi that had 170k on it. I got forced into doing the buyback early because the HPFP started flaking out on me. It wasn't worth putting 4k into a car where I'd get 11k out of it. If you've got the filler guard recall done you'll have a warranty on your HPFP up to 120k.

100k shouldn't be an issue for maintenance. If you've kept up on the normal stuff at least. Really 100k for a diesel isn't really anything. The big one comes at 120k for the 2010 VWs (at least that is when my timing belt was scheduled. I'd look into it for your year). Other than that you could get away with 10k oil changes and skip the automatic transmission one (if you have one).

It'll be hard to find a car to run and maintain for what little the extra miles (over 12k a year) VW will pay you back. They will give you the same amount now as they would at the end of 2018 if you drive less then the allotted yearly allowance. Even for me driving 25k a year it make more sense to hold onto the car (if I could have....)

My original plan was to hold onto the TDi until my model 3 came up, since you have till the end of 2018 to turn it in. Just sign up, and don't start any of the paperwork until you are getting closer to when you'll know you'll get your new car. It took about a month or so from when I finally put the signed paperwork in until I could actually schedule the buyback. So it seems like a good time to do it would be when you get your email to configure your car. I'm going to assume it'll be about a month from that point until you take delivery.

The good thing is the car only has to run under it's own power when you bring it back. It doesn't have to drive to the dealer, only onto the lot. I had my car towed down to the front of the dealer, dropped off and I started it up drove it to the service bay and left it running. No issues with the buy back from then on. I wouldn't strip the car of stuff, but you can keep the jack / floor mats / spare tire if you really want to. They didn't check for anything like that when I turned mine in. I even kept one of the keys.


Now if you want to stretch yourself to get into a model s that's up you to you. Get the car you want. I'd love to have a model s, but I can't talk myself into dropping 85k on a car when I can get a model 3 for 60k. The free supercharging would be nice.. but for 25k I can add a solar system to my house and pay for my home needs as well as charging the car.
 

Ronnie

Active member
Joined
Jun 6, 2017
Messages
27
Location
Riverside CA
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
#5
Thanks, everyone! I'm leaning towards waiting, I think the depreciation won't be as bad on the VW buyback as paying 30K more for a Model S :) Overall I would feel better about the Model 3 payment even if I lose a few thousand on my buyback.
 

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2017
Messages
472
Location
Wildomar, California
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#6
How is the value of your buyback going to drop by a few thousand dollars? Do you drive a lot? My understanding was the value is set then based on miles over a standard 12k a year. If you drive that or less your buyback value can increase. If you drive more it could decrease but for mine it would have only been a couple hundred dollars for another year or two at 25k a year.

Hopefully you’ll be surprised when you go turn yours in and get more than you thought.